2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
N
Originally Posted by pianoeagle
+1. I agree with Kriesler's post.

Keep in mind that many music schools have high instructor turnover rates, as teachers can usually make more teaching in their private studio. In order to attract and retain good employees, you will need to pay at or a little bit above the market rate for your area, and form a development plan to grow the teacher's knowledge and abilities. It may be beneficial for you to pay for their memberships in local teachers associations as well.

If the the teacher ends up working full-time, he/she may also be looking for
insurance benefits, which can be expensive for a small business.

I have a couple of reactions here:

1. It sounds like the teachers should be independent contractors. That frees the owner from paying taxes, benefits, and less paperwork, too. Property insurance - premises insurance - would cover most liability issues for both teachers and students while at the studio.

2. The music store example is somewhat reflective of the fact that the store has more economies of scale than the owner of a small studio. The piano lesson room takes up space, but that space would otherwise be for storage, some inventory, etc. The small studio's purpose is ONLY to provide space to rent for piano lessons. Much less flexibility in covering one's overhead or providing alternate revenue producing opportunities.

3. Because of #2 above, it would seem more difficult for a single proprietor to create a competitive split of student fees. Having said that, I would think that 2/3 should go to the teacher. Afterall - without that teacher and the students, the owner doesn't make ANY money at all. The trick here is volume and maximum use of lesson time - the owner's only revenue stream.

Just some thoughts.

Doug

Anyone know about the 1920's "Mighty Wurlitzer" theatre pipe organs? Click here: www.wrtos.org or here: www.atos.org
T
T
I teach for a studio one day a week and they pay me $13 and charge $34. So it's possible, but not good for building good will. I know I am worth a lot more than that (the other 4 days a week I charge $30) and so I feel taken advantage of and very much resent my employer. I don't think that is a good situation for either employer or employee.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ToriAnais
I teach for a studio one day a week and they pay me $13 and charge $34. So it's possible, but not good for building good will. I know I am worth a lot more than that (the other 4 days a week I charge $30) and so I feel taken advantage of and very much resent my employer. I don't think that is a good situation for either employer or employee.
Neither do I. I sure hope you're talking about $30 per half hour, though! I know you're in a different part of Aus to me, but still...

Du holde Kunst...
T
T
Yes sorry, all those amounts in my previous post were per half hour. I just recently raised my rates from $27.50 to $30. Only had one person question it (she thought she should get a discount since her child has 2 half hour lessons/week) but she came around once I explained that there are people who pay $34 per half hour lesson for lessons from me with someone else setting the rates, and that I am charging less than the minimum suggested by the MTAQ ($31) so I thought my rates were reasonable. I won't be putting up with the music school crazy pay after this year. Just got too attached to the students I have there to give them up.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm just wondering on why someone (a teacher) would come in someone elses studio to teach and get less than what is worth? I mean all piano teachers have a piano at their home, and I doubt that most students (except the amazingly gifted ones) are browsing teachers that only own a Steinway grand as one of the reasons to chose them. :-/ So... why?

T
T
The reason I first started teaching in someone elses studio was because I *didn't* have a piano in my home. I lived in an apartment so I could only have a top notch digital piano, and I didn't feel comfortable charging money for lessons on that (plus noise issues would have been a problem anyway).

It's also a foot in the door. If you have a lot of piano teachers in your area, it's a way to gain experience fast (these studios, despite being very bad value, find it easy to get lots of new students) and get your name out there by riding on an established businesses coat tails.

I have thought that down the track I would like to employ an up and coming piano teacher (probably a piano student at a conservatorium) and help out someone who was in my position. It would be a good way to share your skills, and make a few extra bucks.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tori: How about going to the students houses? I do that constantly here in Greece (since one of the main advantages for parents with private teaching is that they don't get to lose time driving back and fourth)... Of course you would have to suffer the bad pianos at each home, but on the other hand you get on a closer relationship with the parents/family and you gain lots of experience with that...

I just don't like people hurting 'an industry' like that... I mean if someone charges 70$ per hour (and rightfully so) and someone else comes in and decides to low ball at 10$... That's destructive for the whole music community (and believe me in media composition this is happening only too often (due to bedroom composers who've downloaded tons of software (sometimes worth more than 20,000$) and offering ridiculous prices for their services.)).

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm just wondering on why someone (a teacher) would come in someone elses studio to teach and get less than what is worth?

I did that several years ago as a favor for my MTAC colleague. That, plus I had some holes to fill in my teaching schedule.

I got myself out of that situation. Now, one of my closest friends is being sucked into the same dilemma. It pains me to witness someone--having much higher credentials and more teaching experience than I--getting paid a fraction of her worth.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
J
J
I could never afford lessons in the U.S. Simply too expensive. I started playing clarinet in public school at age 10 and from then on music became my lifelong hobby. I played around with an old piano, organ. Had an accordion once. But always wanted to play piano. In spite of my desire I could not afford to take lessons. When I retired I went abroad where I could afford to live on my income. You guessed it - First thing - I took piano lessons from a professional entertainer who taught me to play the songs as he did. He provided the scores. If I needed more, technique, etc he taught me as we went along. I learned to play fast and enjoyed learning. A three hour private lesson in my home every Wed morning for a cost of 500 pisos. That's about $22 for three hours of lesson. The 500 pisos for three hours work was just less than the average working man made per day at the time. His comment to me was - better to work and eat than have no income and be hungry. I know you teachers in the U.S. spend a lot of money getting your education and you have to live too, but, look at the other side of the coin. Most people in the U.S. cannot afford piano lessons. Many of them cannot even afford a roof over their head and food to eat. Just my 2 cents.

Now I live (retired) in Thailand in a village and teach poor children for free. Only cost to them - miss three lessons in a row and good-bye. No interest - no lesson.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by john f
I know you teachers in the U.S. spend a lot of money getting your education and you have to live too, but, look at the other side of the coin. Most people in the U.S. cannot afford piano lessons. Many of them cannot even afford a roof over their head and food to eat. Just my 2 cents.

Huh? Not sure where you're getting that info... it's not true.

The US is a huge country and while there are certainly places where there is poverty and people are struggling, I don't agree with the blanket statement that "most" people cannot afford piano lessons. It depends on where you live and what the economy is like there. Lessons in large metropolises are much more per half hour than in smaller towns (say in the midwest).

I am always amazed at how much families spend on sports clubs for their kids, eating out (even fast food can be pricey), frequenting Starbucks, etc... I have had students whose families were experiencing tough times financially. Many of them choose to economize in other areas rather than drop piano.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I work for a school in which I get roughly 50% of the cut. I am satisfied with that for several reasons:

1. I used to work at a place where I got 70% of the cut. But I had to do ALL my own legwork. If a student didn't pay, and I hadn't caught it for that month, then I'd get no money. Not a good deal.

2. 50% (or 45%) goes to the upkeep of the school and pays for the receptionist, who also collects the money, goes after students who are late, tracks attendance, notifies me of changes, and generally does all the recordkeeping for the business. I show up, teach, record my own attendance, and submit an invoice at the end of the month. If a student is delinquent in paying, I still get paid regardless, unlike the other place.

3. The school at which I teach offers ABRSM, piano guild, Federation, and regular performance opportunities. I do not have to go searching for any of these; if I wanted to join, all I would have to do is speak up and pay the dues.

I am okay with taking home less money at the end of the day because the staff takes care of ALL my needs. The place I worked prior to this took care of none of my needs, and the extra money simply wasn't worth the crappy studio (mushrooms grew in my carpet!) and the lost money.

In short, EZpiano, if you want to have a larger percentage, you had better offer all of these services to your teachers. In exchange, the teachers at my current school all have signed non-competes.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Minaku
I work for a school in which I get roughly 50% of the cut. I am satisfied with that for several reasons:

1. I used to work at a place where I got 70% of the cut. But I had to do ALL my own legwork. If a student didn't pay, and I hadn't caught it for that month, then I'd get no money. Not a good deal.

2. 50% (or 45%) goes to the upkeep of the school and pays for the receptionist, who also collects the money, goes after students who are late, tracks attendance, notifies me of changes, and generally does all the recordkeeping for the business. I show up, teach, record my own attendance, and submit an invoice at the end of the month. If a student is delinquent in paying, I still get paid regardless, unlike the other place.

3. The school at which I teach offers ABRSM, piano guild, Federation, and regular performance opportunities. I do not have to go searching for any of these; if I wanted to join, all I would have to do is speak up and pay the dues.

I am okay with taking home less money at the end of the day because the staff takes care of ALL my needs. The place I worked prior to this took care of none of my needs, and the extra money simply wasn't worth the crappy studio (mushrooms grew in my carpet!) and the lost money.

In short, EZpiano, if you want to have a larger percentage, you had better offer all of these services to your teachers. In exchange, the teachers at my current school all have signed non-competes.

But 50% of $25 is different than 50% of $35. It all depends on what is acceptable for that area, and like you said, what amenities the studio is offering.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am going to be joining forces with a studio soon...we have worked out an arrangement where I get 90%. I will be working there 2 days a week while maintaining my other private students.

You may attract lower experienced teachers getting their start...and thus possibly higher turnover amongst students.

But then again...you might get lucky!

M. Katchur
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
90%?! How did you talk them into this?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes... 90%?!?!?! Is insane... I don't think the studio will do very well, if they offer 90% of the fees to you... Good job though! smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If you charge $25 per half hour, you pay the store $2.50 (at 10%). If you teach 8 students per day that would be $20 per day that you'd pay to the store. 5 teaching days per week would be $100 or $400 per month that the store makes on one teaching studio. And most stores have more than one studio. Mmm... I don't think it sounds like a bad deal for the store.

I guess it would depend on your location. Rates for retail space vary from city to city. Some charge $2 per sq ft, some charge $1.

Music School Owner
Member of MTAC and Guild
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
If you charge $25 per half hour, you pay the store $2.50 (at 10%). If you teach 8 students per day that would be $20 per day that you'd pay to the store. 5 teaching days per week would be $100 or $400 per month that the store makes on one teaching studio. And most stores have more than one studio. Mmm... I don't think it sounds like a bad deal for the store.

Which makes the other "music schools" that completely rip off the teachers look GREEDY.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
80% of my students/families make much more money than I do. They are definitely eating.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
This is assuming the store has 4-8 teachers each with 8 students who all pay promptly at the beginning of each month.

Let's assume there are 5 teachers, each with 8 half-hour students a day. So that's 2000 at the end of the month, 24,000 pre-tax at the end of the year. Doesn't sound like a particularly profitable establishment to me.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If the music store owner uses most of his square footage for selling music items, then that $2000 per month is payment towards the owner's overall monthly rent. He's not making a profit on the rent but helping pay his own rent.

Also, there's a difference (I think) in a studio situation where a teacher is bringing his/her own students and not depending upon the store to give them leads. If the store were actively involved in funneling students to teachers & advertising lessons, then I think 10% is too low for a store to charge a teacher.

I would be interested to know how other music stores that have teaching studios operate.

Music School Owner
Member of MTAC and Guild
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission