2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
These are some of the pieces that I removed from YouTube before, for various reasons.

Crimson Lullaby: A New England Autumn

Oriental Waltz No.2

Oriental Waltz No.3

Moments Musicaux II

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Maxwell, the "Crimson Lullaby" is for my taste really a successful effort, along with your "Scarborough Waltz" (which I had heard in an earlier post).

You had said something to the effect that you'd be willing to send scores of selected pieces to interested parties -- is that still the case? I like these two enough that I'd be interested in the sheet music, and would probably play them at a monthly Amateur music gathering. Just let me know, and I'll post my address, probably via Private Message.

Thanks!

J
OP Offline
J
Tim, I would be glad to send you a copy of those pieces. Just send your e-mail, and I'll have them to you in a short time. Thanks for the interest.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Great! My e-mail is Mewsdad@charter.net. Hope to print them off when I receive them -- Thanks much!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Wonderful pieces. Very enjoyable, but I'm guessing a bit of a challenge to play. Is that you playing them? If so you've done an excellent job of composing and performing your pieces. Congratulations.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
J
OP Offline
J
Some of them are played by me, but at a Slower tempo, that's why it sounds a bit artificial at some parts. I also do the recordings in midi, then translate them to a virtual instrument. It seems to sound a lot better than what I could get out of a live performance on my Upright electric piano (Clavinova). Some of the pieces aren't too hard to play, The Scarborough Waltz for one is very similar to the Chopin Waltz in Ab major, but in some ways a lot simpler in the right hand. The real difficulty in that piece is keeping a quite left hand. its been a while since I played that piece, so right now I am very very rusty. Out of the Pieces posted here, the one that is the toughest to play would have to be the second Oriental Waltz. I remember playing it quite well years back when I first wrote it, but now I avoid that piece because, it is just heck (if you don't mind me saying that) I would have to start practicing seriously to get that piece up to performance. The same goes for the Piano Sonata 3, Which I think is even harder (The opening for the first movement Sounds simple, but it is actually the hardest part of the piece to play properly), and the Second Piano Sonata which you can hear Excerpts of on YouTube. I do have some recordings that actually show me playing the piano. I'll try and post some of those at some point also.

Wow - I love your Crimson Lullaby. Beautiful piece (and well played too), I was mesmerised!

Writing fun and original jazzy, bluesy, soulful and latin piano sheets at OllysPianoSheets.com smile
P
P
Do you write your compositions as you play at the piano or do you write them using a program?

J
OP Offline
J
I have a manuscript pad that I use when I am at the piano, But I use that to mostly for getting the ideas. It is usually disorganized, and only I can tell how to put the pieces together, at that point I usually migrate to the Software Program, where I put the pieces together, and do the required editing touches to the piece. A lot of the time though, I'll have an idea when I am not near a piano, so what I do is grab a piece of scrap paper, and just write down the notes that are in my head, then I put it in my pocket, and attach it to my manuscript pad when I have a chance. I hope this answers your question.

J
OP Offline
J

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
JorgeBol, just wanted to let you know that I played your "Jig" and "Crimson Lullaby" from Op 17 last night, as part of the monthly "soiree" series of an amateur music group in Madison, WI. The pieces were very well received -- one of the Asian members thought the music had a Celtic flavor to it, and several commented on the sheer beauty of the Lullaby. In introducing the pieces, I did mention that you are Canadian, and that, for me, there is a peculiarly Canadian quality in your compositions -- English, not French -- that I find hard to pin-point, but somehow is there. Just wanted to let you know.

Incidentally, what is the genesis of your handle - "JorgeBol"? I'm assuming it refers to the great Cuban Romantic pianist Jorge Bolet, but in what context? Just curious.

J
OP Offline
J
I am glad to hear this. I think this is the first time anyone other than myself has performed these pieces. Is there a video available? How did you find the playing for the Crimson Lullaby? was it quite difficult? I went through some more editing of the score for that piece so if you want I can send you a copy of that (The music is still the same, there are only small notation changes and addition of some dynamics) if you would be interested.

Your friend is right, there is a bit of a Celtic atmosphere to the piece. The reason is, there is a lot of that in New England. When I was still a kid I used to live there and I found that there was a lot of Irish/English influence, so I added it to these pieces.

JorgeBol does come from Jorge Bolet simply because I enjoy many of his interpretations.

Thanks again for giving my music a performance, and I hope you continue to share it with those around you. It is greatly appreciated.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Maxwell, to answer your questions:

1 There is no video or recording available.

2 The toughest thing about Crimson Lullaby was reading the sections festooned with double flats -- a result of notating the chordal progressions as G flat minor, instead of F sharp minor, or in one case E double flat rather than D. In a way, though, this was fascinating to work through; in the early going, though, it resulted in many painful wrong notes. There is no reason to send an update; I've learned it to my satisfaction.

3 In the future, I do plan to program your Scarborough Waltz and possibly the Berceuse from your Scarborough Pieces (Is that a reference to the Toronto suburb?). However, in the Waltz I'll probably take the liberty of altering your final two pages somewhat -- like Steve Chandler, I don't think the conclusion quite "works" as written -- but the rest of the piece is so bang-up good that I can't resist working on it.

Thanks for sending me the scores!

J
OP Offline
J
I don't mind at all if you take some liberties with the Waltz. I have many ideas for that last section, and don't really know which one to go with. So I think I'll just label it as (at your own discretion or ad lib) so that you can either go with one of the options that I provide, or make one up for your self in a similar way to how people in the past have created their own cadenzas to Mozart or Beethoven Piano Concertos.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission