Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1755947 - 09/20/11 12:02 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: PianoZac]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
This thread makes me wanna go buy a V-Piano just to test out these sounds. I've recently played the V-Piano for extended periods of time, last week and the week before, and even with its faults in its mids (if even you see or hear them as such) the V-Piano is still an instrument I'd love to own.

Who was it who said "I can resist anything except temptation'....
I've always followed that advice grin.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1756247 - 09/20/11 10:25 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
This is my first attempt to upload mp3's through a hosting site so bear with me!

I've been a tweaking fool on the V-Piano lately and i wanted to upload 4 tweaked pianos to get a feeling from some of you as to their "serviceability". What i'm asking you is not so much if they are "authentic" as a representation of a certain make piano, but are they pleasing at all to listen to in their own right...?

Most of my tweaks involved lengthening decay and damper times, adjusting tone color to -1 for a less metallic tone, softer hammers etc.

I didn't bother to record the basic VP1 piano untweaked. Trust me, it basically sucks in its native state. If you'd like it i can do it at a different time.

Piano 1: Silver Dynamic

http://www.mediafire.com/?nbwkd9mbe7v7xlv

Piano 2: Silver 1 - Soft Silver

http://www.mediafire.com/?rv6m57xmtyat5n5

Piano 3: VP1 Concert

http://www.mediafire.com/?i0ifun2uevfltpz

Piano 4: VP1 Concert- softened

http://www.mediafire.com/?25809u7d113v0wc

As i mentioned, all these are tweaked fairly extensively, and all slightly detuned. As is typical of home recording, i feel a lot of "sparkle" or whatever was lost in the conversion from 24 bit recording to wav file to mp4. but thats life until i become a better recording engineer!

the piece is just a homely but original little diddie i've been working on, a reflection on some great early mornings amongst the aspen trees in Wyoming during a vacation we had this summer.....

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1756292 - 09/21/11 12:51 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
V_Piano_Man Offline

Erard and bfb

Appreciating your recordings and uploads.

I can confirm the recordings do not accurately represent what is heard through headphones on the V. I have tried some recording testing , but I am so disappointed with the recording playback.

However you have both achieved a beginning from where improvement can be achieved.

bfb, your recording of soft silver does however show a lot of character in parts where there is a moment or two of hint of the truth. I am listening again now ...... It surprises me how the true sustain isnt heard. I had the same problem.

I listened also to the Yamaha N1 recording zachary recently referenced. The N1 records so much better. (At this stage) smile

Anyway , there must be a way of achieving a better recording. So persevere.

V piano man

#1756313 - 09/21/11 02:05 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bfb]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

BFB, thank you for your uploads. It is a beautifully played piece of music. Please keep them coming.

Mine is coming by truck and will arrive on Monday according to the tracking info. I'm not going to be playing another V until mine arrives as I want to build up some anticipation for it over the weekend. My first recording will be done using my Tascam Zoom MRS1044CD which is a very good quality recording tool. Then run it through Vegas 10 for editing. I'll see how that goes first before attempting anything else.

#1756400 - 09/21/11 05:55 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Bruce's recordings are awful - lovely piece indeed and very nice playing. But come on guys, time to face the truth...be honest and ask yourselves if this sounds like a real piano? They are all the same tonally with very slight differences resulting from Bruce's tweaks. Sounds like a very one-dimensional electronic pastiche of a piano.

As for it sounding different when you actually play...I understand this. Every time I have recorded myself (on any piano) the sound of a recording never seems the same as what you hear at the time through 'phones. It is some kind of psychological effect. Sometimes the recording actually sounds better, sometimes worse - in any event, always different.

Is it possible that the V-Piano's peerless dynamic response seduces the player and gets the player so "into" what they're doing that it causes a suspension of critical tonal listening? This is the case with the V-Piano's ancestor the RD-1000 (pure modelling, mathematical algorithm - superlative dynamics and expressiveness) - the lack of tonal authenticity is forgiven in favour of pure wonderment at the dynamics of the thing.

I recently found a CD I recorded directly from my V-Piano's line outs into an old hi-fi CD recorder (so would be entirely representative of what the player hears through 'phones) - I hadn't labelled the disc and was sorting through some stuff. I played it and had the same immediate shudder of recognition the moment I heard the first couple of notes - it was the V-Piano. But playing it was often, despite the massive tonal shortcomings, satisfying on some level due to the way it just always had dynamics in reserve - like you could never really find its limit. That was great - but the sound - truly awful in the mid-range. It's a shame because that is where the melody is carried and it stands out straight away.

Anyway guys, keep tweaking and experimenting. I secretly want it all to work out for you. If someone could make it sound like a real piano I'd save my pennies and buy another one, without any doubt. I have to say to you all though, I'm not holding my breath for any kind of breakthrough because I tried everything (and I'm not the only one).

Cheers,

Steve

#1756414 - 09/21/11 07:12 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Steve, with all due respect, your opinions are your opinions, and we've all had them shoved down our throats by you time after time after time..... We all know your opinions are way, way superior than any of ours, and of course your experience in piano sound (and what pianos should sound like) and piano playing is peerless, and Roland should take note of your advice, and get rid of the V-Piano unless they can revamp it to your specifications. grin grin grin grin

I'm off on holiday, but as Arnie says, 'I'll be bakk'. grin grin

#1756458 - 09/21/11 09:03 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Steve,

thanks for commenting and now excuse me while i go blow my brains out.
frown .......but i know where you are coming from and i take no offense. I'm not ready to give up on the vp as i am still wanting to extract the value that Roland has managed to completely obscure and leave to the user to discover.

If i thought i knew a better path i'd gladly take it, but after listening to the demos for the rd700nx, mp10, and the korg kronos, to me, these recordings all fell way short of what i wanted to hear (although i really enjoy playing the rd700nx at GC), particularly at the back end of the tone. And you would think the mfer would put their best foot forward with great sounding demos, so it makes me wonder if you can ever record these things and be satisfied with it. also, the sound i'm looking for is not a distant, ambient and maybe "clipped" classical piano sound, but a sweeter, more rounded, softer and closer sound that is more introspective?, whimsical?, impressionistic?.... you know, the kind of sound that makes crappy piano playing sound better !!! The NP88 demos really appeal to me as a possible alternative but i haven't found one to play, and the AP's on the Electro 3 models i've played at GC really sounded harsh and tinkly to me (since i'm trying to find a softer, mellow sounding piano). Ivory 2 definitely interests me but the technology requirements are off-putting. i might bite on it when external Thunderbolt HDD's for my macbook are available for under a million dollars.

anyway, for me, now...the soft silver setup has the potential for what i described above, at least amongst the unwashed base of family and friends who might listen to me or at least put it on in the background while they drink too much wine. One thing i noticed going to cdbaby.com and listening to piano solo recordings - everybody's recorded pianos sounded different, there was no uniformity, and once you got acclimated to the sound of the piano you moved on to the music itself, so its not worth getting hung up on.

Kona, thank you for your compliment...VP man- thanks and what would you do to clean up or improve the soft silver recording? more reverb? different EQ? etc... i'm not ready to give up yet and i want to torture Steve some more, as he seems to return to this thread as a bug does to the flame! (we're all having fun here and no one should get their feelings hurt about digital pianos, not with all the real problems we face in our world.....)

peace,
Bruce

PS: mfer= manufacturer. (not the other obvious contraction..!)

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1756465 - 09/21/11 09:15 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: EssBrace]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
As for it sounding different when you actually play...I understand this. Every time I have recorded myself (on any piano) the sound of a recording never seems the same as what you hear at the time through 'phones. It is some kind of psychological effect. Sometimes the recording actually sounds better, sometimes worse - in any event, always different.

i think this is the way you should look at this phenomenom... when you play you are using sight, touch, and hearing. you have 3 applications running in your brain CPU. when you are just listening to your recording, you are only running 1 application- hearing. We all know that our computers run a program faster when other programs are shut down. So when you are in listen-only mode - all your brain/CPU power is geared to that one sense. you are now hearing everything -and its a lot more nuanced than when you were playing. its a good way to help you clean up artifacts from your playing style. and when you go back to an old recording you havent listened to for a good while, you find that you have lost the "memory" of touch and sight, and you aren't as critical of every note, as you are when you first record it. you take it more in its entirety. so don't erase those old recordings- give them some time to age in the cask!

#1756485 - 09/21/11 09:52 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ha ha, nice comment - You're right, I do return like a bug to a flame because my V-Piano experience cost me dear - financially and emotionally so my interest in it continues. I would love it to sound right because in some respects the V-Piano is better than anything else. Anyway Bruce, do please keep torturing me with your efforts!

Cheers,

Steve

#1756495 - 09/21/11 10:14 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Steve (EssBrace),

The V-Piano sounds like a whole lot of different real piano's and a couple of make believe ones as well. On my Clavinova I can record and play back exactly what I play and I hear no difference in the recorded sound. The same with my S90. So I should be able to do the same with my V-Piano. You say you used an old Hi-Fi CD recorder which is what I will be using to record mine which although not 100% digitally perfect, it comes very close to the actual representation. I don't hear a problem with the mid-range as you do when playing it at the two locations using completely different setups. If I felt there was a problem with the sounds as a whole I would not have purchased one.

Everyone else,

Don't let critique's like Steve's (ESSBrace) stop you from uploading or trying. Having a critic is a good thing, as it keeps us on our toes. Just like in the movie Ratatouille, the main villain/critic finally was given something he liked in the end and turned from the dark side.

Steve,

I am going to try and get the exact sound of my CLP990 to come out of the V-Piano. I have the ear to be able to program it and listen for details.

#1756501 - 09/21/11 10:25 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ok, good luck. I look forward to hearing your efforts.

Steve

#1757071 - 09/22/11 02:37 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bfb]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bfb
I'm not ready to give up on the vp as i am still wanting to extract the value that Roland has managed to completely obscure and leave to the user to discover.

Good point...

#1757091 - 09/22/11 04:17 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: EssBrace]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Ok, good luck. I look forward to hearing your efforts.

Steve

Countdown till V-day. 5 days smile I hope the piano God's give the second delivery a softer moving experience to its new home.

Originally Posted By: pv88
I'm not ready to give up on the vp as i am still wanting to extract the value that Roland has managed to completely obscure and leave to the user to discover.

To whom it may concern:

Roland doesn't care what we "discover" on our friggin' V-Pianos.*
They just sell 'em & they end up arriving all busted up.

*"Big bucks" is the name of their nasty little game.
(Then we own the lovely broken pieces...)

Get hip cuz dats whats chillin' man!!!!!

Roland does need to package their flagship V-Piano a lot better from factory, that's for certain.

Edited by Kona_V-Piano (09/22/11 04:19 AM)

#1757147 - 09/22/11 08:11 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I'm bakk!
(Actually just wasting time while waiting for the weather to clear before I set off up the mountain, and couldn't resist... grin)

Now that you're drawn back into the fire, Steve, maybe I can bait you some more. Can you tell the difference between a Fazioli and a Steinway? Have you even heard a Fazioli? Or a Blüthner? Or a Bösendorfer? Or Shigeru Kawai? (I know you've heard a Yamaha grand, since you got rid of one that you bought within weeks... grin)

I have my doubts, since you plainly can't hear the difference between the samples on the V-Piano, yet purport to hear the mythical 'mid-range problem' that none of us here can hear. If you can take advice from a mere classical pianist like yours truly, may I humbly suggest you get out into the real world of acoustic grand pianos and educate yourself on the wide range of piano sounds out there, by playing lots and lots of real pianos, and noting the different tone even between two pianos of the same brand and model. And then you might realize that your Nord samples are a travesty of the real thing (but maybe you don't know that....).

Why, maybe even book a seat to hear a classical piano recital at the world-famous Aldeburgh Festival, right at your doorstep in Suffolk, and hear for yourself what a wide range of color and dynamics a classical pianist can draw out of his instrument..... grin

Have to go, but I'll be bakk........

#1757153 - 09/22/11 08:45 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi bennevis,

Sounds like you truly have the real ear for these acoustic piano sounds, and, as to how they relate to the V-Piano as far as modeling simulation goes!

Would like to give you more feedback on your specific preset settings after getting my V-Piano, and, will be glad to try them out.

#1757154 - 09/22/11 08:51 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: EssBrace]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Ha ha, nice comment - You're right, I do return like a bug to a flame because my V-Piano experience cost me dear - financially and emotionally so my interest in it continues. I would love it to sound right because in some respects the V-Piano is better than anything else. Anyway Bruce, do please keep torturing me with your efforts!

Cheers,

Steve

Your V-Piano experience sounds like a bad divorce. lol. I honestly when I play it don't hear a midrange problem as you and a few others in this forum do. Repeating something that is in your head over and over is not going to make it any more real than you believe it already to be for whatever reasons.

Perhaps you shall hear as I will play many songs using all the ranges the V-Piano has to offer. I'll even record the same song on the V-Piano via midi and replay it on the CLavinova as well, just for contrast as my Clavinova sounds ands plays very similar to the AvantGrand (same piano type used for the main recording).

#1757332 - 09/22/11 12:31 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

y'all leave Steve be. His comment is actually very helpful to me. if he had said the recordings were wonderful but my playing and composition skills were awful (most likely not far off from the truth...), then i'd have all of you pounce on him for real.

although it might not change things much, i think i might have had conflicting setups in EQ and Dynamics in my Yamaha recorder. So i'm going to try to clean that up and re-do my recordings, and maybe also record them on Garbageband (sic). if there is any improvement, i will resubmit for the amusement of the audience here.

Steve, for your penance, if i uploaded the midi file, could you render something w/ NP88 or N3 for comparison. that would be hugely helpful...

#1757344 - 09/22/11 12:46 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bfb]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

y'all leave Steve be. His comment is actually very helpful to me. if he had said the recordings were wonderful but my playing and composition skills were awful (most likely not far off from the truth...), then i'd have all of you pounce on him for real.

although it might not change things much, i think i might have had conflicting setups in EQ and Dynamics in my Yamaha recorder. So i'm going to try to clean that up and re-do my recordings, and maybe also record them on Garbageband (sic). if there is any improvement, i will resubmit for the amusement of the audience here.

Steve, for your penance, if i uploaded the midi file, could you render something w/ NP88 or N3 for comparison. that would be hugely helpful...

Steve, be as critical as you want. Especially with me. smile We are a friendly bunch. Like most people here, I will be new at recording so mine will not be perfect at first, but I will do my best to make it as perfect a recording as possible.

#1757437 - 09/22/11 02:58 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

bennevis - I don't claim to be a good player but I do have a good ear (I wish my ear was less good to be honest because then I would not have wasted £1000s on hi-fi and a dozen digital pianos):

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1753890

You refer to the Aldeburgh Festival - which takes place at Snape Maltings - which is exactly where I was on Tuesday funnily enough. You can rest assured that I know what real pianos sound like. The V-Piano is like a piano that you can voice in different ways - but it is one piano. It is not like several DIFFERENT pianos (which is what Roland claim - and what I thought I was buying and is one of the two main reasons for my disappointment with it).

Kona - Unlike my bad divorce I wish for you a long and happy marriage with your V-Piano!

Bruce - I'm not fantastic with technology but would gladly try and play your MIDI file on the AvantGrand or the Nord (at the moment the Nord is back in its box but I have a Yamaha CP33 going so could use that) and record the results.

Steve

#1757467 - 09/22/11 03:48 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: EssBrace]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Steve - why did you give up on the NP88. i have a yammie p250 so the CP33 would be redundant, but thanks anyway. the NP88 was on my possible "what I do next" list, along with using the vpiano to control Ivory 2 (most likely going to happen- because that way i can still play the vpiano - which i enjoy- create midi files on it - and then render them into the Ivory 2- which can all be done for under 500 bucks including a faster 2nd HDD on my music computer).

#1757480 - 09/22/11 04:10 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I haven't given up on the Nord - it is the best DP I've owned in some ways - certainly has the most character. It's a wonderful piano. And not wishing to have another swipe at the V-Piano, the Nord really DOES contain tonally completely different pianos! The action is not so hot though and switching between that and the AvantGrand is not much fun.

I had a Roland FP7F for a few weeks thinking that the action on that would be a better match for the AG - but the gulf is huge. I have the AG in a room downstairs and a little cinema/project room upstairs and like to keep a stage piano on the go in there. But nothing gives the tactile satisfaction of the AG. The one left for me to consider is the Kawai MP10 - but I'm somewhat penniless at the moment!

I'm also wondering about going over to software pianos in future.

#1757512 - 09/22/11 04:58 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

i swore off soft pianos- but like the...Bug drawn to the Flame!....i'm probably going to take a flyer on Ivory, if for nothing else then rendering midi files (which i don't really believe in, i think how the piano sounds and feels influences the way you play, and you miss something just rendering midi- but it is expedient).

i'm checking my pc to see if it is up to snuff CPU wise and if so will add a 7200 rpm hdd and give Ivory a try.

thanks!

#1759837 - 09/26/11 05:02 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Mine is coming in tomorrow. I've been working the past few days nonstop, been checking the site on my cellphone. Sorry to those I have not responded to in messages. Hopefully I will have enough time to play the V-Piano and record before I have to fly away again.

#1761108 - 09/28/11 01:19 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

My V-Piano came in perfect. smile I have been playing all the presets so far and will commence trying out the tweaking and doing some recording before the weekend.

#1761149 - 09/28/11 02:33 PM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
Erard Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano
My V-Piano came in perfect. smile I have been playing all the presets so far and will commence trying out the tweaking and doing some recording before the weekend.

Very glad to hear everything was OK with your V!

#1769094 - 10/12/11 06:28 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: Erard]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Originally Posted By: Erard
Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano

Very glad to hear everything was OK with your V!

Thanks. Here is a very cool sound I came up with by accident. Just play a note and depending on how hard or soft, you'll hear either a slow or fast vibrato that resonates throughout the tone. Beautiful sounding is all I can describe it as and very different from any of the presets. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

As my one and only new sound so far and I am proud of it, you can go ahead and call it Kona smile

Ambience knob setting is in the top middle and use Hall 2 for the ambiance.

Parameters:
t=tuning h=hammer cr=cross resonance, sr=string resonance, sb=soundboard resonance, sl=sound lift, tc=tone color (all those not listed here remain at default setting)

Firstly, increase the decay time to +70 and damping time to +30 for all of them, to bring the sustain up to concert grand level.

'Kona' (from V1 Concert) t+60 h+70 cr+20 sr+20 sb+75 sl 0 tc+2

I'm sure you can figure out what the accident was..lol.. However I love it now.. I see a bright future for creating new piano sounds with this never before heard. I look forward to recording some songs using this new voice as well just for fun.

#1769107 - 10/12/11 07:00 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Great, I'll put your Kona setting into my V this evening, and look forward to your recordings.

BTW, I assume you're listening to your V using a speaker set-up? I've got myself a new pair of open headphones and the sound is subtly different through them compared to my (closed) AKGs. Almost like a piano tech has been and tweaked the hammers etc.... grin

#1769204 - 10/12/11 11:21 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Great, I'll put your Kona setting into my V this evening, and look forward to your recordings.

BTW, I assume you're listening to your V using a speaker set-up? I've got myself a new pair of open headphones and the sound is subtly different through them compared to my (closed) AKGs. Almost like a piano tech has been and tweaked the hammers etc.... grin

What brand are your open headphones? I am using closed Sennheiser Pro HD280's at the moment since I am mostly playing at night and don't want to disturb my wife.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd280-pro/4505-7877_7-30235462.html

I do want to get a pair of good open ones though as they do tend to sound more natural.

#1769723 - 10/13/11 03:45 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I've got the Grado SR325, which came highly recommended in a hifi magazine - I got offered it at half price and couldn't resist, despite not having a chance to audition before buying grin. It does sound crisper and clearer than my AKGs, but the sound leaks out like a sieve: anyone within 20 ft will be able to hear what you're playing. But no problem for me, and though it does presses somewhat onto my ears (whereas the closed AKGs fit around my ears), the more airy feeling and sound makes me prefer using it.

#1769746 - 10/13/11 05:22 AM Re: V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get? [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I find Grados too bright and brash, although very dynamic. The main problem is they hurt! After 20 mins I find all Grados very uncomfortable. Decent Sennheisers (HD 600s or 650s for instance) or I use AKG 701s are more refined sonically and very much more comfortable in my opinion.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (alfredo capurso, Almaviva, 36251, 45 invisible), 1505 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251426 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission