2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
V
V
Hi All,

And Hi Bennevis,

I am glad you made adjustments to increase the decay to levels of 70. I had actually made subtle changes to your pianos by increasing this level in the region of 50 - 75.
I also have increased the damper release(? ) to 10 - 15. This setting is interesting because it can actually fill gaps in incomplete legato cadences etc. It can probably introduce some flaws in technique also. The point is I'm not sure how it compares with an acoustic so it might be an acceptable level.

The piano I use predominately is the Yamaha. I use two - your setting from this thread and one where I have increased resonance. The sound is just right to my ear for my practice/study Mozart/Chopin.

I have been just looking for V Grand videos and have found a link and two interesting v piano video links.

This link http://www.theenid.co.uk/listen.html (and play first video @NEARfest2010)has the v integrated into a rock orchestra.
I found this site after finding this new Roland video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w_cUQOV-xM

This gives credibility in my opinion. Anyone who plays Chopin opus 10/4 and can speak grammatically correct English has my attention.
Although unfortunately there is distortion in clip.

Kind regards
V Piano Man

My contribution...
Doesn't sound like one i know.. but I like to play this setting with soft/gentle 'fantasy' parts (like final fantasy songs ^_^ )

Based on Sylver Dynamic
sl=0, sr=0, damper=+20, sb=+10, t=+10, h=0, cr=+5, tc=-1, stretch tune=gentle.

(standard: decay time to +70 and damping time to +30 applies).

It's not tested on headphones yet... looking forward to hear some comments

Roland V-Piano, Many synths, Accordeon, Hurdy Gurdy & Mandolin.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
Thanks, I'll try it out when I get home.

Incidentally, I've experimented with my customizations by transferring one or two of them onto a related factory preset - so for instance, my settings for Bösendorfer could be transferred to Vintage Piano 1, which gives a stronger bass overall and slightly altered tonal character compared to V1 Concert.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Coo, curious what you think. I personally think that favorism of some pianos or execution of the paramaters depends a bit on the setup as well. I like the bossendorfer sound you made. I am curious how it sounds on the other preset. I never heard much of the actual grands (or at least, knowing when it was being played).

B
OP Offline
B
My background as a classical pianist without his own instrument to play on (until I bought my V-Piano) has given me a somewhat different perspective on pianos than most other posters here: I must have played on close to a thousand different acoustics in my time over the years since I left university (and its practice rooms with Yamaha uprights). Some good, some bad, most indifferent. The really memorable ones were usually well-prepped concert grands in showrooms and concert halls. And I learnt to be able to adapt to just about anything, short of gaping holes where the keys should have been... grin

Some piano sounds (and the way the pianos 'feel' under the fingers, the marriage of action and sound as it were) stay in my memory, and those are the ones I aim to reproduce on my V-Piano as closely as possible. But I also included some 'way-out' piano sounds that I've experienced over the years, either in person (i.e. playing the pianos in question) or on recordings. So, if some people think that one or two of the sounds I've included couldn't possibly have existed in real life......

haha smile gapping holes.. they can be overcome ^_^... can imagine how that would be laugh. I sometimes play on uprights who are far worse than old cranky honkeytonks from the western movies / three amigos laugh ai ai ai!

In general, it doesn't really matter if they exist or not...as long as they feel good, play well, and sound good.

I adjusted your Yamaha preset. I prefer instead of a minus tuning, putting it on +11, makes it comes to live. I never played a Yamaha grand before ( i think, i only played some random which I couldn't remember, except a steinway!, (not sure which one) ). HYowever.. i felt the hammers were too harsh.. i put it down to minus 10. Maybe because i like heavier keys (or aybe it means i need to hammer less on the keys laugh )

Anyways.. to me, the yamaha feel (i know the sound a bit) comes more in. Would love to know how you feel with that adjustment? maybe it ruins the Yamaha sound you know.

And still curious what you think of my V-Fantasy sound ^_^.

B
OP Offline
B
Not had the chance to try out your settings yet (work commitments etc), but will do so this weekend. I must say I don't actually like Yamaha (acoustic) piano sounds much and my customization reflects the somewhat strident sound I perceive in Yamaha pianos (and therefore their DPs), but maybe your setting will improve on mine.

Curious smile since it's weekend, wanna see how youdo withyour preset progress;-)

I was watching Fringe last night (yes, im a bit of a neuro-science/scifi geek laugh ) and there were two people playing.. one on an old grand.. which i didn't really like the sound of, but there was a tiny home piano there too.. it sounded.. common, woody, but very lovely. I tried to recreate it with the Vertical preset. I only really miss the "wood" sound in the V-piano... unfortunately. However.. here is my next setting =)

I call it the "Common Vertical".. its not well tuned, sounds are definately not perfect.. it feels actually hard to play versus grand pianos... the feel and sound make a completely different match (very nice psychological effect here going on ^_^)

So..setting for the "Common Vertical"
Sound Lift: 15
String resonancen: -30
Damper: -38
Soundboard: 30
Unison tune: 25
Hammer hardness: 20
Cross resonance: 30
Tono color: 1
Damping time: 30
Stretch Tune: gentle

BTW..would be fun to make a rolandE76 sound (keyboard)
The thing you need to do is put everything just on worst quality, and put the hammer on the C2 note to full.. :P

B
OP Offline
B
Been trying out your V-Fantasy and Yamaha settings. I've put the latter into my V-Piano as 'Yamaha CFX' now, because I like it better than my own Yamaha (just as the real CFX is an improvement on the CF-IIIS) grin. The Fantasy setting is fun to improvise to.

cheers laugh.

The fantasy is quite cool.. i play it more and more nowaays.. seems very useful. Feels a bt odd at some points, but when loudly played, it add some -twang- (is there any word like that in piano playing?)

Apparently, the other member put on the v-piano forum closed it down again..
I might give it a try later on, when there are more updates/settings. See if i can make them downloadable too..havent been checking the v-piano export settings yet.

B
OP Offline
B
As a matter of interest, does your V-Piano come with the additional factory presets that are already included on the V-Grand, or if not, have you downloaded them from Roland? I think there are 6 new ones. I'm just wondering whether they're worth the bother (I don't know how to download stuff from websites, and I don't have a computer...).

the V-piano evolution upgrade was already on it.. not sure if that's the one you meant. I loved the extra evolution piano's. If the grand got some as well, it might be interesting..

cecked on the dutch/EU website:

V-piano grand: Tones : preset 30 tones + user 100 tones

I think i only have 28 presets on my own... not entirely sure... could be 30 too.. ill check it out later

Last edited by WingNL; 06/22/11 07:14 AM.

B
OP Offline
B
Yes, it's the 'evolution' I was referring to. Looks like you have the upgraded V-Piano - I bought mine some months before the upgrades came out. I did try them out on my dealer's V-Piano, but didn't find them interesting enough at the time to want to go through the hassle of trying to get someone to insert (is that the right word? grin) them into my V-Piano. I think that the V-Grand has the same upgrades but no extra ones.

ok, I must say..it's worth to upgrade to be honest. It's not just a preset, there are just different pianos.

The adjustments on the pianos are not able to do with the standard parameters, that's why.

It's not hard to be honest.. just get yourself an usb stick, and download something off the website (there are instructions you know ^_^). Aside.. you registered on this forum too :-) so you must be able to do something with it?

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
Yes, it's the 'evolution' I was referring to. Looks like you have the upgraded V-Piano - I bought mine some months before the upgrades came out. I did try them out on my dealer's V-Piano, but didn't find them interesting enough at the time to want to go through the hassle of trying to get someone to insert (is that the right word? grin) them into my V-Piano. I think that the V-Grand has the same upgrades but no extra ones.

Bennevis, you are a breath of fresh air. A completely unabashed tech agnostic who nevertheless has provided more value to v-piano users than all the gearheads at Roland.

My sentiments completely on the uselessness of the Evolution "upgrade". and kudos to Roland for leaving it completely up to the users to come together and work out ways to make the v-piano more usable and realistic. But i know i'm being unreasonable.

I will say this. i've gone from hating it and wanting it gone to opening myself back up to its potential again. This forum has helped me with that. the power of suggestion, knowing that others who are better trained appreciate something more than you have... i've begun to get more aggressive with my own "tweaks" and am liking it more. For me, it needs much softer hammers for the way i play. So that is what i've done and i'm happier with the results.

At least that is what i'm thinking this month!

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
@bfb,
why do you think the evolution upgrade is useless? it simply just offers a set of other models which you cannot create with the current settings as far as I know. (like cabinet size and stuff like that).

There are some really good new models in, like the Vertical, and the triple large (which also loads in the triple mellow if I recall correct) are very playable pianos.

I would suggest it to check them out some time. I personally believe it's worth it. (and the ugprade is free, so it's not bad)

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by WingNL
@bfb,
why do you think the evolution upgrade is useless? it simply just offers a set of other models which you cannot create with the current settings as far as I know. (like cabinet size and stuff like that).

There are some really good new models in, like the Vertical, and the triple large (which also loads in the triple mellow if I recall correct) are very playable pianos.

I would suggest it to check them out some time. I personally believe it's worth it. (and the ugprade is free, so it's not bad)

Hi WingNL...

i did download the upgrade when it first came out, and yeah, useless may be harsh, but to me it didn't add a lot of value. and my point is- Bennevis telling me to increase the decay and damper time was infinitely more useful than Roland telling me to play this new make-believe Evolution piano that is made out of a metal and wood sandwich.

have you figured out how to use Vintage 2? its supposed to be a Bos- but all i hear is someone playing a Bos underwater.

its taken me 18 months to figure out the v-piano's Vintage 1 piano is the one to target. i like the base model- particularly with the decay increased and the hammers softened. and i also like the V1 Mellow. I enjoy playing the Silver Dynamic but it doesn't record well, and i do like the Silver Extreme at various tunings as a boogie woogie/stomp type piano.

I just listened to the new 6'3" Yamaha sample for the Nord piano. even if i am making peace with my V i think i'm going to have to buy the NP88 because i just love the way the pianos sound.

Last edited by bfb; 06/22/11 02:41 PM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Cheers for your explenation ^_^, You got me thinking ;-)
Indeed, the damper time / decay was very usefull. Make the piano came more alive.

I do feel that speakers/headphones & playing style are very much making a difference too. Where Bennevis made some choices in hammer/etc, I put them harder, or vice versa.
I do too love the softer hammer settings..make them less...stingy to my ears :-)

I do agree that most of the presets need some work done before they get playable. The silver Hybrd is quite nice (at least, what I made with it...).

Vintage 2 and 1.. well..i guess depends what you play? I prefer the V2 concert because it sounds more mellow, but more brighter than the v1 mellow. for mellow, i prefer the 'triple mellow'

Anyways.. Maybe i should go give the NP88 another chance. See so many people being totally happy about it.. but when I tried it out, I was REALLY dissapointed. The sounds were if they were canned, resonating, a kinda like flanger over them..and them keys were horrible (but that's okay, they are light, for on stage)

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by WingNL
ok, I must say..it's worth to upgrade to be honest. It's not just a preset, there are just different pianos.

The adjustments on the pianos are not able to do with the standard parameters, that's why.

It's not hard to be honest.. just get yourself an usb stick, and download something off the website (there are instructions you know ^_^). Aside.. you registered on this forum too :-) so you must be able to do something with it?

Thanks, I might try that (once I find out what a 'USB stick' is grin) - my only worry is that I'll mess up my work computer by downloading stuff. But so far I'm OK with posting stuff on this forum.....

bfb, thanks for your compliments - , and using the word 'agnostic' (others would call me a 'Luddite' grin).

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bennevis
Thanks, I'll try it out when I get home.

Incidentally, I've experimented with my customizations by transferring one or two of them onto a related factory preset - so for instance, my settings for Bösendorfer could be transferred to Vintage Piano 1, which gives a stronger bass overall and slightly altered tonal character compared to V1 Concert.

@bennevis,

I have already printed out your custom presets page and will be very interested in trying all of them out, after I get the V-piano.

Did you fashion these just from your own mind's "ear" as you remembered hearing and playing these pianos?

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission