Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 25 of 215 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1676590 - 05/12/11 09:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ChristineG Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
MaryBee I still need to work on certain things, especially my trills. If I can pull it together on Saturday, then maybe I will, and thank you for asking. (although I have to say that I find the idea of an on-line recital much much scarier than a live recital in front of a small group which is what I'm used to) :-)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1676625 - 05/12/11 10:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ChristineG]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: ChristineG
(although I have to say that I find the idea of an on-line recital much much scarier than a live recital in front of a small group which is what I'm used to) :-)

Definitely. I was nervous about my first recital at my teacher's studio but I realized everyone would "mess up" at some point. But when you record yourself and can keep recording and recording, you feel it's got to be perfect (at least as perfect as you can do).

Luckily I'm starting to get over that wink

Kawai K3

#1676764 - 05/13/11 06:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
You know, in a way I think it would be easier to do a live recital - you go up , do it, and it is over. One shot.

Plus it isn't recorded for "posterity" lol.

However, I don't know. I've not yet had the opportunity to play "live" except in my own living room ..oh, and in the piano shop ! smile

I guess my achievement is that I did manage to record a piece for the recital. Not the one I'd planned to play, but with my ups and downs over the past 2 weeks I just didn't get enough practice in to smooth it out.

#1681043 - 05/19/11 04:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Well, I haven't actually achieved anything yet, but today my teacher assigned my first Beethoven piece! Sonata in G maj (or actually...sonatina? lol..... I confess to having enjoyed a glass or two of some very nice Sangiovese before coming on line)..

Also....I've been invited to participate in a recital with a music school at which my teacher teaches. I met a number of the people who will be involved at a Christmas music party...and I think I'll go for it.

My wonderful husband has just said "You should do it! Even if (remote though the possibiltiy might be), even if you mess it up, you can always try again next time."

I think I'd play Gypsy Legend as I'm very comfortable with it.....

#1681105 - 05/19/11 05:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
cheryl,

Thats great about the Beethoven. Is that the one they call Sonatina 37, anh 5. no. 1?

re the recital:
Quote:
You know, in a way I think it would be easier to do a live recital - you go up , do it, and it is over. One shot.
laugh Don't you hate it when people quote your own words back at ya? grin

No accomplishments for me this week. Recital is Sunday. help shocked

Chopin hands together coming along. Not working on much else except sight reading,scales and a toss-off Rondo by Turk. We decided my distraction with the recital was enough for the week. Looking around for a piece or two to work on starting next week, however - probably one baroque and one classical.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1681324 - 05/20/11 01:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
cheryl,

Thats great about the Beethoven. Is that the one they call Sonatina 37, anh 5. no. 1?

Yes it is.

Originally Posted By: JimF

re the recital:
Quote:
laugh Don't you hate it when people quote your own words back at ya? grin

Well, I think that's actually the first time it has happened smile
Food for thought, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this...I know the piece well, and I play it all the time, there's no real brushing up to do. I've improved on it since I recorded it...It's a logical choice.

In boca al lupo for your recital ! We are of course very much looking forward to hearing about your adventure and how well it went! (that isn't the royal "we", I simply am certain that I speak on behalf of all the AOTW buddies you have here!)

Nice that you've got your Chopin coming along. I have some pieces by Turk in one of my books, I'll have to see if there is a Rondo.

I will be very curious to see which baroque piece you decide to work on!!!

#1681424 - 05/20/11 07:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Well, I haven't actually achieved anything yet, but today my teacher assigned my first Beethoven piece! Sonata in G maj (or actually...sonatina? lol..... I confess to having enjoyed a glass or two of some very nice Sangiovese before coming on line)..

Cheryl, I love this piece - in fact I did this for the Beethoven recital we had last year:

Beethoven Sonatina in G

BTW, here's a retroactive AotW. My AotW for mid December 2010 was recording Sonatina in G for the Beethoven recital ...

wink wink

Kawai K3

#1681555 - 05/20/11 11:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl, first Beethoven Sonatina! Go girl. That's great and it's pretty fast progress you are making. Andy, I heard your recording above. Pretty good. I also think you made tons of progress since you recorded this one.

So, this is what i mean adults seem to progress faster than average children. Please say yes, otherwise I feel really bad. I did not like to do anything that was forced on me when I was a child. Unfortunately that includes piano. Yes, I admit, I also did not have the THING called talent. But still, I practiced (or forced to practice 30 min every day) and it took me about 5 years to play Fur Elise and 2 more years to play the Mozart's turkish march (the end of Child part of my music lessons). The turkish march was sooo bad that my folks still talk about it.

It's all under the bridge now. I have to practice some more on the 1st movement of the Beethoven Pathetique because I am playing it tomorrow. Just for the clarification, I know this piece is too big for me now to play it right. It's in my bucket list. It also consumes so much energy. I really cannot think of doing it in my 70's or 80's. So, that's the reason I am doing it right now. BTW, Playing the piece makes me soooo hungry. I am eating awful amount of food. I really have to think about working out and eating right. Otherwise I will gain 10 lb for each Beethoven Sonata. I have to resume my study on Rachmaninoff-Prelude op.23 no.5 and the second movement of the Pathetique.. My teacher assigned me these pieces to sight read a couple of months ago. I slacked. Did not do a thing... At least, i have worked on half of hte rach piece. But oh, it's zero for the 2nd movement of the Pathetique. so I have to start super duper work on them.. and then confess the truth to her on Wednesday... I had many thing happened to me but, my teacher won't hear excuses or my whining which I do a lot.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1681576 - 05/20/11 12:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

Andy your Sonatina was absolutely CHARMING! I loved it. And I love that you posted a retro-active AOTW -bravo!

FarmGirl, I think adults make faster progress than kids,...up to a point. And of course it depends on what age of child we're referring to... I've seen my teacher's other students from ages 6 to 16/18 to adults in their 40s and 50s.
Looking at the ones who made the most progress, I'd have to say it was the teens.

I honestly don't know how to evaulate my progress, you know?
My teacher is very pleased with me, so that's very nice. I'm pleased with myself, but still feeling fettered by lack of coordination. I can read a ton of music, but what I can play is pretty limited still. (um, did I mention I am very impatient smile ) I LONG to play really smoothly and sometimes feel low that I feel so slow.

What certainly helps is that the folks here are very kind in supporting every baby step and keeping my perspective fresh and realistic!!!

As for your pieces FarmGirl - I'm blown away by what you're working on and don't even dare dream to put those on my to do list yet! smile

There is one thing you said that really worries me - getting hungry from playing!!! oh dear, this could be a really dangerous side effect of playing that I had never considered.

Watch out for the dreaded Caloric Canons, the Bloated Bagatelles, the deep-fried fugues, profiterole preludes....oh dear, the list just goes on and on....;)

#1681616 - 05/20/11 01:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Today, I spent some time and learned The Sick Doll from Tchaykovski's Album for the Young. The notes and rythm are extremely simple, so it didn't take more than 10 mins to play trhough it without messing up. But then I realized I always concentrate on playing thw notes but I do not listen to what the composer has to say. So far I felt great just being able to press the keys at th right time and mechanically follow all the dynamic markings. However, today I got into it really. It was as if I was inside the music while i played it. And the most curious thing happened, I started feeling emotions that were coming from the piece and were not my own but at the same time were also my own... Confusing but I have no better way to express it. I felt sorrow, a feeling of loss as if a close friend had gone away at the beginning then towards the middle part where the cresendo starts and it goes into forte from mezzo forte, I was feeling grief mixed with anger and frustration at the hopelessness of it all. And then towards the end all that was left was sadness but it was somewhat lighter as if I was so tired of being in this emotional state that I was emotionally drained. Also at the part where the rythm switches in the right hand to resemble what was being played in the left hand so far but reversed, it sounded like tears????

I am sitting here baffled at how this is all possible. It was similar to reading a really good novel in which you feel like you are there living the story.

This is not to say that I play it beautifully at this point but I felt those things while doing so. I'm excited about the future and how other pieces will be like in the future. Now I see that it can be a real adventure if you pay attention to what's behind the notes. I finally understand what my teacher means when she sometimes asks me to try and see what the story is in a piece. And if my hands are one day able to express these feelings, I believe I will then be really playing piano and not just messing around.

Recitals:

#1681630 - 05/20/11 02:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
At my piano lesson today, my teacher introduced me to a Hanon exercise book. I'm pretty excited about trying something new. I'll spend a few hours on it this weekend.

Edited by Michael Taylor (05/21/11 01:44 AM)
Edit Reason: corrected a typo
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1681631 - 05/20/11 02:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Teodor]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Teodor,

What a great description of finding the emotions in the music. I've had glimpses like that, where I really feel connected in a way with the composer, but nothing quite as complete as you describe. I'm envious. And I'm totally impressed that you just tossed off Sick Doll in 10 minutes. It sure took me a lot longer than that when I worked on it last year. Keep up the good work.

Any follow up on little Miss Oboe? wink

Estonia L190 #7284

#1681647 - 05/20/11 02:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well that's 10 mins to play the notes and rhythm correctly at tempo. And it only works for some pieces for me, depends on how complex they are. Interpreting it properly might take days or weeks or never at this point as I do not think I have what it takes just yet. I don't know. I'll start memorizing it tomorrow. I want to be able to play it without having to bring the entire album to practice and also it will be easier to try and play expressively if I am not busy following the sheet music.

About the girl, I don't know I haven't seen her since. I should have at least asked her for her facebook come to think of it. Oh well, I'm in love with the piano anyway, it will do for now smile

Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
At my piano lesson today, my teacher introduced me to a Hannon exercise book. I'm pretty excited about trying something new. I'll spend a few hours on it this weekend.

Good! Those might be of help. I've played a couple. The most important thing is to start out slow imo and to build up gradually but also to make sure your hands are relaxed at all times. I was excited too at first but they turned out to be boring and not musical at all, so I gave up. Probably a mistake. I haven't been playing scales lately either...

Edited by Teodor (05/20/11 03:08 PM)

Recitals:

#1682228 - 05/21/11 05:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Michael - I'll be interested to hear what you think of Hanon - a lot of people hate him, some love him - what will your take be I wonder?

Teodor - wow ! What an great experience - this will very likely have a profound impact on how you end up playing this piece once you've got it truly in hand!

Poor Miss Oboe, she's probably wishing that you'd ask for her contact info!

As for me --- I have done just a tiny bit of work on the Beethoven piece, but I've really done well with one of the others (Vinciguerra) which is greatly satisfying. I know when I've tried to learn other pieces of his it took me days - this one I had fairly well in hand in a few hours. Now THAT gives me a handle on progress!!

And, I've confirmed - I WILL play in a recital on June 7th. OH MY! What have I let myself in for??? ack!

Just kidding - I figure it is a pretty safe environment for taking the plunge.

Edited by casinitaly (05/21/11 05:52 PM)
Edit Reason: because I don't always spell well!

#1682254 - 05/21/11 06:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Oh, I have a recital on the 7th as well. I'm playing a Rameu. It's on the easy side but with a truly independent left hand part. I'm quite proud of it really. I'll also play the first piece from Burgmuller 25 easy pieces. I happened to be thinking to myself that if Chopin is College, Bach is High School and Burgmuller is middle school. You know, 6 teachers instead of one, passing periods, a locker etc. it's not THAT hard compared to what comes after it but still, it's a lot different from the primary grades. In the middle of this reverie, my teacher announces that she doesn't think I/we need to continue going through Piano Adventures step by step; that we'll both be happier with more Burgmuller and cherry picking pieces from this book and that.

That's exciting isn't it?

Kurt

#1682262 - 05/21/11 06:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

I just had a recital and played Pathetique 1st movement. Unfortunately, it was a disaster. I played in the end and I got really nervus while listening to my teacher's intoduction of this wonderful piece. I rushed. I have never played it with such speed. It's like Peter Serkin's speed. It's just I am not him, no even close! I sucked. I also repeated places I should not repeat and did not repeat where I should have repeated. I did not know.. I kept thinking "How can I slow down.." I remember thinking, OMG, it's so fast, i cannot play with this speed. Sure enough, I messed up some of the trills and some area which I never missed. You see, they say, never to run your fingers faster than your mind. I guess that's exactly what I did. I was lucky that somehow I played it through. This is the worst I have ever done. My teacher said "it wasn't so bad, you just played it a bit too fast.." She also told me that it's a very common problem for busy pieces like this. She also reminded me that she told me to identify spots where you can check the tempo, kind of like a braking / slow down stations. I felt like a crap. I did not listen to that advise. I need a drink now before I start working on my next assignment.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1682265 - 05/21/11 07:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Well, I worked hard all week not to post any replies in a thread that Saul had commented on or started. It was going great...

then I cracked... sick mad shocked

Daily ramblings....

#1682273 - 05/21/11 07:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
... Getting my left hand to play a walking bass line.

#1682385 - 05/22/11 12:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Newman]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I got a Hiromi Uehara songbook in the mail and found two pieces in it that are hauntingly beautiful and aren't way above my level like most of the other pieces.

#1682431 - 05/22/11 04:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, did you take some time when you sat at the piano or did you dive straight in? I find it useful to just sit down and relax for a few seconds when I go on stage. I have this problem too with fast pieces. When I actually play them faster than the performance tempo and the result is a mess since I am nowhere good enough to keep it all together at a higher tempo.

No matter, I applaud you for your courage to play such a great piece at a performance. It can only get better from here on. smile

Edit: I sincerely wish that one day in the near future I will post here and say "My hands are cured! I can play freely and all I want now!!!" I still have hope but for now I've learned to cope with the limited piano time and the discomfort. I have plans to rest 1 MONTH with no piano and no computers and not even browsing the internet from my phone to let my hands rest completely. Just like last time I'll have plenty of book reading to catch up to and I might also study some theory away from the piano if I feel like it. Last time I managed to stay away from using my hands for the PC for less than 2 weeks. I imagine 4 weeks of no use might make things good. Only thing I am not sure about is, should I do stretches every day to keep my hands in good shape or should it be complete rest with no external stimulation?? I'll have to ask a doctor.

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I just had a recital and played Pathetique 1st movement. Unfortunately, it was a disaster. I played in the end and I got really nervus while listening to my teacher's intoduction of this wonderful piece. I rushed. I have never played it with such speed. It's like Peter Serkin's speed. It's just I am not him, no even close! I sucked. I also repeated places I should not repeat and did not repeat where I should have repeated. I did not know.. I kept thinking "How can I slow down.." I remember thinking, OMG, it's so fast, i cannot play with this speed. Sure enough, I messed up some of the trills and some area which I never missed. You see, they say, never to run your fingers faster than your mind. I guess that's exactly what I did. I was lucky that somehow I played it through. This is the worst I have ever done. My teacher said "it wasn't so bad, you just played it a bit too fast.." She also told me that it's a very common problem for busy pieces like this. She also reminded me that she told me to identify spots where you can check the tempo, kind of like a braking / slow down stations. I felt like a crap. I did not listen to that advise. I need a drink now before I start working on my next assignment.

Edited by Teodor (05/22/11 04:04 AM)

Recitals:

#1682435 - 05/22/11 04:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Teodor, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Yeah, I dive straight into it. I don't perform in front of others like you do. I am licking my wound now. I heard it will get better as I perform more often. I will look for some performance opportunities, volunteer or anything that gives me chance to do this more oftern.

About your hands, I think you are doing the right thing. I know it's not as easy as said. If it makes you feel any better, I have to travel most of June for business. No piano for me during those times. I won't give up though. I will keep coming back to practice. I think we soon will be comparing notes how to get our hands back into action. I think reading theory books will do you a world of good and you can learn something actually very useful. But please don't over do it. Take care.

#1682436 - 05/22/11 04:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Hi KurtZ – We can compare notes on our recitals on the 8th smile
What exactly is the Rameu piece? I’ll google it and see what you’re doing. I love being introduced to new music from people who are in the same range as I am!
I love the Burgmuller book – I played that 1st piece “Candore” in Italian, I think “Innocence” in English – for the e-cital last August. I’ve played with a few of the othes but so far haven’t sunk my teeth into any of them.
Loved your analogy on the school system and composers!
It is very exciting – good for you!

FarmGirl – I’m so sorry you are so disappointed with your performance. It may not have been as bad as you thought – but that doesn’t matter, you are feeling rotten about it.
I think it takes a lot of guts to even approach a piece like the Pathetique for a recital and I think it exciting that you’re able to take on that sort of challenge.
Listen to your teacher “It wasn’t so bad”. Remember that you don’t perform in public regularly and nerves will get the better of you. Take what you can to learn from this experience, but don’t dwell on the negative impact – that will just hurt you next time you play. Know if your heart what you can do, and let that knowledge keep your focused for the next time.

EJR – well…. I read some of those threads and then gave up on them. I think that you will not have any trouble resisting for the next while. It seems that Saul has been exiled.
You can get back to piano now wink

Captain Kawai: very cool. I cant’ do that and I sure would like to!

Sparky McBiff I’ve never heard of Hiromi Uehara –so I’ll be off to do some google research ! What fun that you’ve found pieces you really like AND they’re at a level you can manage!

Teodor, you should certainly talk to your dr. I don’t know if you have to cut out your music and piano 100% - but you do seem to be pretty intense, so reducing might help you.
I still have some pains but things are improving. One thing that is helpful for me is to soak my hands in hot water when I get up, before and after playing. Also, if I play for shorter periods of time with lots of breaks rather than sitting for a long period of time, that seems to be good for me. What is most important is that I have to (and am) developing better technique and having more relaxed hands, arms and shoulders when I play.

Love all your updates folks! You inspire me!

#1682438 - 05/22/11 04:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

casinitaly, I think proper technique is the key here. It will speed up recovery and will prevent such injuries in the future. The problem is I have to use a PC at the office 2-3 times a week and I don't know proper technique for that, it makes my hands sore after a while... This is why it's hard to take breaks. In the summer I can give my salary to my brother and make him work instead of me but during the school year I need the monthly income to support myself.

Doctors have been of no help to me and couldn't agree on a diagnosis. IF it's tendonitis then how come I was able to weight lift for 3 months with nearly no pain? And how come I can do pull ups and push-up right now and have no pain at that exact time I'm straining the tendons? And how come anti-inflammatory seem to sharpen the unpleasant sensations? No doctor could explain it. One of them recommended 6 months of complete rest, which is impossible. frown

Also I only play for 1:30 or 2 hours at best and I also skip 1 day ever week, sometimes 2.

Edited by Teodor (05/22/11 04:43 AM)

Recitals:

#1682611 - 05/22/11 02:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Cheryl, thank you for your kind comments. I feel much better after a whole bottle of wine, a few shots (tequila. After all, it's Arizona the wild wild west!) and a whole bag of little chocolate covered ice cream. I cannot remember the name of the ice cream. It was like a mini size klondike i got from the piano teacher's house. It was good with tequilla. Then I got hot, jumped into the swimming pool with my dogs and slept until I woke up this morning. Still smarting a little, but I am gonna be okay.

#1682640 - 05/22/11 04:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

FarmGirl, I'm glad if my words helped -but are you sure you feel BETTER after all that? I feel ill just reading it !!!

Glad you're on the mend emotionally. smile

#1682833 - 05/23/11 01:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Cheryl,

It's called Minuet in Rondo Form. I've also seen it called "Little Minuet" I believe we found it in the Celebration Series Books. There are several versions on YT but most are by eight year olds and are not very musical. There's a very musical version by Cubusdk but to my ear it's WAY too romantic for a piece from the french baroque.

I'll be rolling video of both me and my son. If I can live with what I hear, I'll post in the June Piano Bar or point you to a YT posting.

I'm loving the Burgmuller. I've got it up to about half speed and hope to play it at or a little faster than 50 bpm to the half note while the book calls for about 75 to the half.

Be well,

Kurt

Edited by KurtZ (05/23/11 01:34 AM)

#1682837 - 05/23/11 02:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: KurtZ]
oudeis Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: KurtZ
I'm loving the Burgmuller. I've got it up to about half speed and hope to play it at or a little faster than 50 bpm to the half note while the book calls for about 75 to the half.

Hi Kurtz,

I really like these etudes too. I still play nr 1 regularly, as a sort of warming up, or between two parts of a practice session. Even though I've played most of the etudes, I need to get back to them more often, there is so much to learn in these pieces. I've got the notes down for most of them, but making it musical and controlled is a different matter (especially number 7!)...

If you need some comparison for Burgmüller, here is Mitsuru Nagai, playing all 25 pieces (in 5 videos). Somehow these videos are hard to find, but I think there are not many better videos for these etudes.

On a related note, the edition of Burgmüllers etudes that I use suggests tempi that my teacher thinks are way too high. It all depends on your ability, but in my case (with my lack of ability grin ) he suggest to play some of the faster pieces at roughly 25% slower tempo.

#1682858 - 05/23/11 03:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

for Burgmuller lovers.
I went to Japanese Google site to get this. The performance is by Takashi Fukuyama, he is a well known pianist in Japan. I think the video is taken to promote Bosendorfer piano. I caution you that Arabesque was on the faster side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3veKfHZr8

The entire list is available here:

http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AF%E3%83%9F%E3%83%A5%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC+%E5%8B%95%E7%94%BB&hl=ja&biw=1003&bih=521&rlz=1R2ADSA_enUS391&tbm=vid&ei=hQbaTYsBiY7yA82FrIQF&start=0&sa=N

Fyi ブルクミュラー = Burgmuller

I went to the Japense site because Burgmuller is one of the most widely used piano music for instructions. It was really fun to listening to the music.

#1682865 - 05/23/11 03:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Ok, my ATOW after the recital. Cheryl and Teodor, I am ok now. Well, perhaps gained some pound (LOL) through the drinking and eating ice cream.

I started my assignment, the second movement of pathetique today and was pleasently surprised. I would not say it's a cake but it's not so bad. The number of pages 8 pages + 3 pages of repeat vs. 3 pages with no repeat. I was able to sight read all pages today albeit very slowly. I might be completely wrong but, apart from several spots where articulation could be an issue (staccato in the left hand in the 3rd page), it really did not look so bad. Of course, controling the inner voices are given. We should hear the melody and what a beautiful melody that is. I am very happy again. I still have to take care of Rachy's prelude 23 #5.

#1682870 - 05/23/11 04:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, I did mess up quite a bit in my last performance but I had so much fun that it didn't matter. I was happy to play a bosendorfer (spelling?) concert grand in perfect condition and to not be nervous at all despite the huge audience. We are all just beginning with performing for other people (a lot of us at least) and messing up is to be expected sometimes.

I think you will enjoy the second movement more. It's not as demanding and is a nice cantabile piece that people love to hear. It's certainly not easy but if you could pull off the first movement this one will surely be easier for you. And to be able to sight-read through it with relative ease even at slow tempo is an achievement in my eyes.
Btw Andras Schiff has a lecture on this and all the other Beethoven sonatas, look it up on google if you haven't, you'll gain useful insight on the piece.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

Edited by Teodor (05/23/11 04:26 AM)

Recitals:

Page 25 of 215 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (36251, accordeur, 57 invisible), 1750 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250423 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission