Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 47 of 215 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1764386 - 10/04/11 06:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Sam Rose
@ Andy, what's an ABF recital?

Our quarterly recitals: ABF Recital Index

They are a great way of showing what you have achieved. Details on submitting will be on this forum November 1st.

Hmm, perhaps we need a pre-recital thread started too .....

Kawai K3

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1764402 - 10/04/11 07:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Sounds like fun! Assuming everything goes as planned, count me in!! smile
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1764439 - 10/04/11 08:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Yuki_Kiki Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
I have 5 days holidays this week and every day I play piano at least 4 hours continously. That's so cool for me but I still think it is not enough and don't want to stop playing.Haha wink

#1764456 - 10/04/11 09:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA

Any suggestions for pieces to work on?

Unfortunately I'm not a good source of suggestions, as my repertoire is very limited... If you haven't already done them, I'm enjoying working on

Bach's minuet in G
and the third movement of
Clementi Sonatina Op 36, #1

but they sound (to my novice ear) easier than what you just mastered!

Edited by bessel (10/04/11 09:07 AM)

#1764562 - 10/04/11 12:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
@ MaryBee, you can do it! I don't want to ruffle any feathers, so I won't tell you to try it now, but keep plugging away, and one day you'll be able to do it.
No, I don't think I'll try it yet. My teacher knows that it's on my "someday" list, but we have so many other beautiful pieces that we're working on and that I'm learning so much from, that I don't really mind waiting.

#1764580 - 10/04/11 01:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I played a duet with my piano teacher which meant having to read and play and keep good time. And to keep playing my part when I really just wanted to listen to her play (becasue she's good-ha ha) I didn't think I could do all that. But I did it. I wonder if some day I could actually play with other people. Maybe in a band or something smile

#1764667 - 10/04/11 05:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
EglantineAflat M...hmmm... My flavour of the week is BFlat, the fingering is really bending my brain! lol.

Ataru074Sounds like an incredible experience! Lucky you!

Sam Rose... Ok, I am listening to FantasieImpromptu right now and while I could be completely demoralized that you can play this after one year, I will choose to be inspired. Stunned, but inspired. wow.

MaryBeeWhat a super birthday -and Magic Flute at Christmas, ... lovely gift indeed!

Andy Plattthe pre-ABF recital jitters thread usually starts up a month or so before the recital... I'll watch for your "launch" ! I tried recording my Beethoven today and realized that there's no way I'll have it ready for the recital, not to my satisfaction. I will have to see which of my "in progress" pieces stands a chance of defeating the red dot !

YukiKikiThat's a lot of practicing! I'm sure you are having fun, but be careful you don't strain your hands/arms/back.... you may want to break it up instead of doing 4 straight hours... Just a thought!

Kymber - I LOVE playing duets with my teacher, it is SO much fun. It makes me feel I'm really performing at a completely different and wonderful level.

My AOTW is that I am starting to get the hang of the pedal... I've had lots of coaching from ABFers and of course help from my teacher too ...and finally I feel there's been a bit of a break-through. Nothing earth shattering, just one of those all-important baby steps on the looooooooooong journey!

#1764708 - 10/04/11 06:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl - Congrats on getting the pedal under control.
Re
Quote:
Eglantine Aflat M...hmmm... My flavour of the week is BFlat, the fingering is really bending my brain! lol.
We need a new acronym - how about SOTW or just SOW for short - mine is C-minor this week - we are working our way down the flat side of the circle alternating major and minor. Even-ness on the scale and arpeggio in four octave two hands is the task, plus doing some scales ppp to F crescendo and decrescendo.

MaryBee - I missed your Birthday, so happy day after! I've also stopped pushing so much for the dream pieces. You are so right. There's plenty of beautiful pieces to play without having to push for the brass ring stuff all the time.

Sam - Can't wait to hear your Fantasie Impromtu.

My AOTW is getting some nice compliments at lesson today on Tchaikovsky's In Church, so we are moving on. She wasn't quite ready with another assignment, so I got another little puffball- a very short Schubert Ecossaise. Meanwhile I'm supposed to come up with some ideas for a classical era Sonatina I'd like to work on next, plus another Baroque the week afer we start the Sonatina. Anyone got any favorite sonatinas I might not know of? Bewitched, Bothered.. is nearly complete - working on tempo and voicing issues now. These old standards are so much fun to play.

Edited by JimF (10/04/11 06:14 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1764722 - 10/04/11 06:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
ooo,ooo, JimF - is Bewitched, Bothered etc your next recital piece, I hope, I hope? I love the old standards. I called another retirement home to see if they, gulp, had a budget for entertainment, and offerng a free demo. I told them I play old standards, but BB&B isn't one of them yet. But I'd love to hear yours.

Cathy

#1764836 - 10/04/11 10:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Yuki_Kiki Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Casinitaly- Thanks for your advise,I just can't stop myself going through from scales to pieces that I had learnt and am learning. Really cool time smile

Jim F- Have you played any Sonatina before? If not, you would have to start with Clementi 's pieces first.

#1764844 - 10/04/11 10:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Andy Plattthe pre-ABF recital jitters thread usually starts up a month or so before the recital... I'll watch for your "launch" ! I tried recording my Beethoven today and realized that there's no way I'll have it ready for the recital, not to my satisfaction. I will have to see which of my "in progress" pieces stands a chance of defeating the red dot !

Yup, a little too early. I did have a moment of panic on Saturday when I suddenly thought it was just 15 days to go ... until I remembered it's in November, not October. I think my pieces should be in good enough shape. My own standards are a lot higher than they used to be though!

Do you think you could work on one of the movements of the Sonatina if you don't think you'll have both ready?

Kawai K3

#1764963 - 10/05/11 03:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
MaryBee - Happy birthday!

Everyone else - Ahhh how do you know someone has a birthday? I have been wondering..

My AOTW - I will write a bit longer post later this week when I am flying home:) It was a good day
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1765011 - 10/05/11 06:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
MaryBee - Happy birthday!

Everyone else - Ahhh how do you know someone has a birthday? I have been wondering..

If their birthday is entered into the profile, a little birthday cake will pop up against their name when you are looking at their posts.

Or they might just mention it anyway wink

Kawai K3

#1765234 - 10/05/11 02:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Yuki_Kiki]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cathy - I've been looking for a quiet time to get a recording of Shadow of Your Smile for weeks now. It is the one most ready. I guess November is possible for Bewitched too. Eeek, now theres pressure.

Yuki Kiki - I've played Clementi 36/1, and Beethoven's G Sonatina, and I think one other by Burghmueller(?). Any suggestions other than Clementi?

Estonia L190 #7284

#1765310 - 10/05/11 05:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Andy, I don't know if I will be up to recording even one movement of the Sonatina ..... You mentioned that your standards have risen for yourself, as to what you feel is good enough: well, so have mine smile

I probably could "do it", but honestly, I'd feel very self conscious because I know it could (and yes, should) be better.

This is probably very wrong of me, but it's a fact: knowing that so many of my buddies here have played the piece and know it well, makes me want to be able to play it -perfectly, heavens no - but well. Cleanly, fluidly - and it just isn't happening.

I'm a little bit disappointed, but not a lot - I had practically a month off of playing in August, and over 2 months without my wonderful teacher - AND I really have made progress in other important areas, so all-in-all, I'm pretty content - but not prepared to record!

I most certainly will participate though - possibly with a JAZZ piece! ha! How's that for a radical departure from my norm?

BTW, I would like you all to note that my 2000th post was most intentionally placed here in this thread.

smile

#1765324 - 10/05/11 05:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Happy 2000, casinitaly! smile

And, since there's been talk of the ABF fall recital... what's the difference between that and the Pianobar?

#1765330 - 10/05/11 05:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]

Originally Posted By: bessel
Happy 2000, casinitaly! smile

And, since there's been talk of the ABF fall recital... what's the difference between that and the Pianobar?

Thanks Bessel smile

the ABF recitals happen 4 times a year.
Nov 15, Feb 15, May 15 and August 15.
You can make one submission per recital. (your submission may include 2-3 short pieces that are related in some way)

The Piano Bar is monthly, and you can make as many submissions as you like during the month.

Here's a link that shows you the history of what has been played, by whom, in our recitals (courtesy of Sam S)
ABF RECITAL DATA BASE

I started piano in December, and participated in the Feb recital. There are folks who have been playing for 10-15 years. People who played as children but stopped and then started up, people who never played as children or teens.

The range of music is fascinating - and inspiring. It is great fun to listen to the progress of those we have gotten to know, and to be inspired by those who have been playing longer.

Plus, you GET A MEDAL!!!!! You become a member of the Order of the Red Dot (the red dot of the recording device).

I have printed out my medals and put them on my refridgerator.

You can ask for feeback or choose not to have any. Personally I like to get feedback.

It is great fun, especially for those who don't get to play in "live" recitals.
You'll see little medals in my siggy - that shows the number of ABF recitals I've played in. If you see a grand piano, it means the person has played in public. (My teacher invited me to play at a recital with some of her other students in June, and that was really something!!!)

I encourage you and anyone else who is new to the forums to join in the ABF recital in November!

#1765404 - 10/05/11 07:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

You can ask for feeback or choose not to have any. Personally I like to get feedback.

Don't worry, bessel. Most of the feedback is praise. We are an encouraging community.

#1765451 - 10/05/11 09:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Thanks for the explanation and encouragement; I'll have to figure out how to record (I've seen the threads on that... have to get the software and cables)... I have to admit though, I think I'm a few weeks from being able to pull off my current piece with fewer than 10 flubs. May happen just in time... smile

#1765492 - 10/05/11 10:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I most certainly will participate though - possibly with a JAZZ piece! ha! How's that for a radical departure from my norm?

Awesome!

Quote:
BTW, I would like you all to note that my 2000th post was most intentionally placed here in this thread.

smile

I'm seeing my 1000th creep closer. What to do, what to do ... knowing me, I'll just go past without thinking about it.

Kawai K3

#1765634 - 10/06/11 04:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Andy, I just happened to notice when I was at 1997.....so it was pretty easy to say hmmmmmm, I think I'll pay attention for a few minutes.

smile

On the one hand I think it is amusing, on the other hand, I wonder...do I spend too much time here? smile (I think it is time well spent!)

#1765682 - 10/06/11 07:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
my big achievement of the week is becoming single again.
my GF decided to dump me while I formally asked her to marry me.

For some reason the Rach 3 is sounding continuously in my mind.

It's piano related because the kawai was her gift to me... now we have to decide what to do with it.
a part of me is saying... keep it just for how she dumped me.. a part of me is saying to give it back to her so she can sell it frown

Edited by Ataru074 (10/06/11 07:51 AM)
Rachmaninoff: Op 3/2
===============================================

#1765687 - 10/06/11 08:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Oh, I am so sorry Ataru074.
I vote for keeping the piano!! Not for the reason you mentioned, but because she gave it to you as a gift. Was the gift given under explicitly stated conditions that you would not keep it in the event that your relationship ended?

#1765710 - 10/06/11 09:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
My wife and I decided to take a few days off and went to a hotel in southern Portugal. To my bad luck (or not smile ) I got a slight fever during the first day and could not enjoy the pool and beaches. The wonderful of this story is that the hotel had a piano in the lobby (yamaha) and while my wife was in the pool I was playing the piano during the afternoon (Yeahhh).
The funny thing is that I received the first applause of my life because the guests were staying in the hotel lobby to hear the pieces to the end.
On the day I went away, and when I was checking out the hotel, the receptionist asked me to play again (!) and as I told him that "Yes, of course," he offered me 10% off rate and did not charge me the car park and the extras.
So this is my AOTW I wanted to share with you.

Ataru074, I never counted but there must be more women than pianos ... So, I'm sure you will find the ideal woman for you.

Edited by CarlosCC (10/06/11 09:30 AM)
Edit Reason: Ataru074 comment

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

#1765715 - 10/06/11 09:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Ataru074, I'm really sorry your relationship ended in such a way. It is sad when a story ends, but this must have been extra shocking for you if you were proposing and she was ready to break up!!

It is tricky to know what to do about the piano. She did give it to you as a gift, and I bet you didn't discuss what to do in the event of a break up!

There are many ways of dealing with the situation - and you probably have mixed feelings about keeping it.
I wish you well in going through all the necessary decisions.

#1765717 - 10/06/11 09:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

On the day I went away, and when I was checking out the hotel, the receptionist asked me to play again (!) and as I told him that "Yes, of course," he offered me 10% off rate and did not charge me the car park and the extras.
So this is my AOTW I wanted to share with you.

Carlos, that is really great! What a story!!!
I think that's a pretty significant achievement.
Good for you ! (I bet the receptionist is a big Einaudi fan!)
I congratulate you!

#1765727 - 10/06/11 09:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Carlos, that is really great! What a story!!!
I think that's a pretty significant achievement.
Good for you ! (I bet the receptionist is a big Einaudi fan!)
I congratulate you!

Thanks!
To be honest I think the receptionist had never heard Einaudi, but IMO their music has that effect on people. But what I enjoyed most was to receive the applauses, because I had not realized that there were people seated behind me listening the pieces. That was good.

CarlosCC records

#1765729 - 10/06/11 09:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Does that mean you are now a "professional" piano player? smile

#1765734 - 10/06/11 10:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm starting a Bach 2-part Invention this week: #13 in A-minor. I was kind of dreading going back to Bach, until I happened to run across a recording of them for violin/viola/cello. Those performances were so beautiful, I'm now inspired, and have picked out a couple of the 3-part Inventions that I want to work on eventually. You can listen to them here .

My teacher told me last night that I'm starting to naturally play more musically. *Yay* I'm making progress!

#1765740 - 10/06/11 10:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
Does that mean you are now a "professional" piano player? smile

LOL, I wish I could say that! That would be good, but unfortunately the only similarity between my work and the piano are the "keys" ... I work with computers ... smile

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
My teacher told me last night that I'm starting to naturally play more musically. *Yay* I'm making progress!

That's very good! Congratulations. IMO those kind of fellings can not be learned in books, just playing.

CarlosCC records

Page 47 of 215 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (AZNpiano, Asmodeus, Alux, AtomicBond, 14 invisible), 1130 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253483 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
04/25/14 03:29 AM
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
04/25/14 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
04/25/14 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
04/25/14 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission