Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1767326 - 10/09/11 02:37 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
I work for a school in which I get roughly 50% of the cut. I am satisfied with that for several reasons:

1. I used to work at a place where I got 70% of the cut. But I had to do ALL my own legwork. If a student didn't pay, and I hadn't caught it for that month, then I'd get no money. Not a good deal.

2. 50% (or 45%) goes to the upkeep of the school and pays for the receptionist, who also collects the money, goes after students who are late, tracks attendance, notifies me of changes, and generally does all the recordkeeping for the business. I show up, teach, record my own attendance, and submit an invoice at the end of the month. If a student is delinquent in paying, I still get paid regardless, unlike the other place.

3. The school at which I teach offers ABRSM, piano guild, Federation, and regular performance opportunities. I do not have to go searching for any of these; if I wanted to join, all I would have to do is speak up and pay the dues.

I am okay with taking home less money at the end of the day because the staff takes care of ALL my needs. The place I worked prior to this took care of none of my needs, and the extra money simply wasn't worth the crappy studio (mushrooms grew in my carpet!) and the lost money.

In short, EZpiano, if you want to have a larger percentage, you had better offer all of these services to your teachers. In exchange, the teachers at my current school all have signed non-competes.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1767362 - 10/09/11 03:34 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: Minaku]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Minaku
I work for a school in which I get roughly 50% of the cut. I am satisfied with that for several reasons:

1. I used to work at a place where I got 70% of the cut. But I had to do ALL my own legwork. If a student didn't pay, and I hadn't caught it for that month, then I'd get no money. Not a good deal.

2. 50% (or 45%) goes to the upkeep of the school and pays for the receptionist, who also collects the money, goes after students who are late, tracks attendance, notifies me of changes, and generally does all the recordkeeping for the business. I show up, teach, record my own attendance, and submit an invoice at the end of the month. If a student is delinquent in paying, I still get paid regardless, unlike the other place.

3. The school at which I teach offers ABRSM, piano guild, Federation, and regular performance opportunities. I do not have to go searching for any of these; if I wanted to join, all I would have to do is speak up and pay the dues.

I am okay with taking home less money at the end of the day because the staff takes care of ALL my needs. The place I worked prior to this took care of none of my needs, and the extra money simply wasn't worth the crappy studio (mushrooms grew in my carpet!) and the lost money.

In short, EZpiano, if you want to have a larger percentage, you had better offer all of these services to your teachers. In exchange, the teachers at my current school all have signed non-competes.

But 50% of $25 is different than 50% of $35. It all depends on what is acceptable for that area, and like you said, what amenities the studio is offering.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1768969 - 10/11/11 11:34 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego
I am going to be joining forces with a studio soon...we have worked out an arrangement where I get 90%. I will be working there 2 days a week while maintaining my other private students.

You may attract lower experienced teachers getting their start...and thus possibly higher turnover amongst students.

But then again...you might get lucky!

#1769140 - 10/12/11 09:15 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: trillingadventurer]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

90%?! How did you talk them into this?

#1769180 - 10/12/11 10:35 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Yes... 90%?!?!?! Is insane... I don't think the studio will do very well, if they offer 90% of the fees to you... Good job though! smile

#1769264 - 10/12/11 01:37 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
If you charge $25 per half hour, you pay the store $2.50 (at 10%). If you teach 8 students per day that would be $20 per day that you'd pay to the store. 5 teaching days per week would be $100 or $400 per month that the store makes on one teaching studio. And most stores have more than one studio. Mmm... I don't think it sounds like a bad deal for the store.

I guess it would depend on your location. Rates for retail space vary from city to city. Some charge $2 per sq ft, some charge $1.

#1769294 - 10/12/11 02:22 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle
If you charge $25 per half hour, you pay the store $2.50 (at 10%). If you teach 8 students per day that would be $20 per day that you'd pay to the store. 5 teaching days per week would be $100 or $400 per month that the store makes on one teaching studio. And most stores have more than one studio. Mmm... I don't think it sounds like a bad deal for the store.

Which makes the other "music schools" that completely rip off the teachers look GREEDY.

#1769346 - 10/12/11 04:29 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

80% of my students/families make much more money than I do. They are definitely eating.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1769580 - 10/13/11 12:09 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is assuming the store has 4-8 teachers each with 8 students who all pay promptly at the beginning of each month.

Let's assume there are 5 teachers, each with 8 half-hour students a day. So that's 2000 at the end of the month, 24,000 pre-tax at the end of the year. Doesn't sound like a particularly profitable establishment to me.

#1769620 - 10/13/11 01:01 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If the music store owner uses most of his square footage for selling music items, then that $2000 per month is payment towards the owner's overall monthly rent. He's not making a profit on the rent but helping pay his own rent.

Also, there's a difference (I think) in a studio situation where a teacher is bringing his/her own students and not depending upon the store to give them leads. If the store were actively involved in funneling students to teachers & advertising lessons, then I think 10% is too low for a store to charge a teacher.

I would be interested to know how other music stores that have teaching studios operate.

#1769621 - 10/13/11 01:01 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If the music store owner uses most of his square footage for selling music items, then that $2000 per month is payment towards the owner's overall monthly rent. He's not making a profit on the rent but helping pay his own rent.

Also, there's a difference (I think) in a studio situation where a teacher is bringing his/her own students and not depending upon the store to give them leads. If the store were actively involved in funneling students to teachers & advertising lessons, then I think 10% is too low for a store to charge a teacher.

I would be interested to know how other music stores that have teaching studios operate.

#1769622 - 10/13/11 01:01 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
If it's a store it likely has other income. This is only a portion of their total earnings.

#1769798 - 10/13/11 08:19 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If the store is a retail store then it will have employees and supply chain costs. 24k a year pre-tax in addition to however much the store can generate doesn't seem like enough to sustain the owner, especially if the owner has a family to provide for.

#1770833 - 10/14/11 11:38 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Dustin Sanders Offline

Loc: US
I would rather give the teacher more of a cut - that way you will usually recruit somewhat better teachers - which means higher retention rates - which means you can open up new locations or hire more teachers quicker

More teachers who take more of the cut and who are better is better than less teachers who take less of the cut who are worse.

Supply vs. Demand

Would your clients wish you to supply mediocre teachers for lower costs or better teachers for higher costs?

Would your teachers wish you to supply higher payment or lower payment?

You need to find a balance of those 2.

#1770943 - 10/15/11 09:00 AM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Luke in ChiTown Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some teachers are very interested in NOT having to spend time on the "business keeping" end of things- collecting tuition, dealing with missed lessons, recruiting new students, organizing recitals, ordering music, etc. For these individuals, teaching for someone else who IS willing to take on these responsibilities is very desirable, to the point that they might be willing to give up say 50% of what the student is actually paying.

If all you are providing is space (and referrals), you will certainly be limiting yourself to teachers who are new to the area or are just starting out, or teachers who, for whatever reason, do not have the option of teaching out of their homes. Once they are established with a full schedule, it's easy for them to begin wondering how they could put themselves in a situation to keep a bigger slice of that pie for themselves. They may jump ship and take a bunch of students with them. You can have them sign non-compete contracts, but actually enforcing them is an entirely different matter- almost impossible.

If you want to retain quality teachers, you need to think of them as your customers the same way that you think of your students as customers. You need to provide the teachers with services that make teaching for you a more enjoyable and hassle-free experience than it would be on their own, even if they are taking home less money.

If all you are providing is space, beware of frequent turn-over and the possibility of losing students when teachers leave.
Now available for Android as well as iOS devices.

#1771054 - 10/15/11 12:55 PM Re: How much you like to get paid? [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Here's the elephant in the room: H-1B visa sponsorship. Some of these piano teachers (non-US citizens) are so desperate to stay legally in the US, they'll accept the low wages as long as the "music school" sponsors their H-1B visa.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, ando, 39 invisible), 1449 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252945 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission