2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#177172 04/06/05 10:33 AM
hiracer Offline OP
OP Offline
The closest Bohemia dealer is 2.5 hours away and they don't have any stock anyhow.

Can somebody compare the sound and build quality of these two pianos to each other.

I'm interested in a six foot model.

Thanks.

John, and my two sons play an Estonia 190 and a Samick upright.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
allow me to bump this for you - both are fine pianos - i don't have a specific answer for you but there are dozens on the forum who do, but they probably missed the post for some reason...

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good question -

I have a strong preference for the Estonia based on only comparing both at this year's NAMM convention. Of course I may be biased - I sell the Estonia and love the piano.

Ori is a dealer for both - he may be the best man for this job. Where are you Ori?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm here Rich, but I apologize as I cant help too much this time...
How can a father compare between his children wink

Hiracer,
If you were in my neck of the woods, I would invite you to come here and try the pianos (and other instruments) for yourself.
Alas, you are so far away frown

In any case, should you plan a trip to the NYC area (our showroom is only a 45 minutes by car or train from mid town Manhattan) I will be glad to have you here so you can try these fine pianos side by side.

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
hiracer Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, what I'm hearing between the lines is that the sound of the Bohemia is similar enough to the Estonia that you don't care to comment. I suspect that if this was a Yamaha-type sound compared to an Estonia, it would be easier to make gross comparisons.

This means it is really unfortunate that I can't test play a Bohemia. I'm willing to make the 5 hour round trip drive (Seattle to Portland), but they don't have one in stock.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
hiracer,
I don't think the Bohemia sounds like an Estonia. To my ear it has a slightly brighter tone, but not brittle. It really sings. Since the Bohemia is new to the US it should cost less than the Estonia. No expert here on quality but doubt you would have any build quality issues with either instrument. Both are fine pianos, but different. It is a shame that the closest Bohemia dealer does not have one in stock for you to try.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why would a Bohemia dealer not have them in stock? Is it that they are authorized to sell them, but don't stock them? Maybe they sold out. . .highly unlikely and not good business if they don't have any to demonstrate.

I always find this interesting when I hear a dealer not have any in stock (and not just Bohemia). Is Bohemia very limited production?

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I found a Bohemia Dealer who is also supposedly an Estonia Dealer.

They stock the Bohemia but will only "special order" an Estonia. :rolleyes:

I have played both. I own an Estonia 190 btw. wink

I prefer the Estonia sound and even though the Bohemia that I played had a Renner action, it did not have the dynamic range that I have with the Estonia. The salesperson told me that the Bohemia action was actually a better action to get in a Bohemia piano but I could not confirm that because he didn't have one in stock with the Bohemia action. I also didn't feel that the Bohemia had as much substantial mass to it. The rim looked to be thinner than the Estonia rim.

The dealer here was selling a Polished Ebony 6 footer for $16.5k as listed on the price tag hanging from the lid prop. I did not ask what they charge for the Estonia. I know that prices in the Chicago area have gone up to about $25k sell price for the Estonia 190 in Polished Ebony.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I ran into a situation where the dealer had no pianos. I wanted to try a CW 190 when I went to Seattle. The dealer had no grands and would not have until fall. This was in July. He kindly took me to someone's home to play one, but it wasn't really a fair trial. It was the only trial I could do though, so I bought an Estonia! thumb More thrilled with it every day!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
hiracer Offline OP
OP Offline
"Why would a Bohemia dealer not have them in stock? Is it that they are authorized to sell them, but don't stock them? Maybe they sold out. . .highly unlikely and not good business if they don't have any to demonstrate."

Chris:

The other question is why do I have to travel from Seattle to Portland to find a dealer for Bohemia. I called the manufacturere's rep in Florida and was told Portland OR was the nearest authorized dealer. I would much prefer to buy locally in the unfortunate event of service issues.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
John,

You are lucky to be in the area of Classical Grands, in Seattle. I highly doubt a Bohemia will sound anywhere near as wonderful as an Estonia prepped and worked on by Alex Hernandez of Classical Grands. Unless you could get Alex to work on the Bohemia!

The dealer, the prep work, and the follow up service are as important, and often more important than the particular piano ( assuming it is fundamentally a good piano ).

I would buy a piano from Alex and Classical Grands, and have total confidence that I made the right decision.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
What Keith said! Hear! Hear!

More than satisfied client of Alex Hernandez and Classical Grands!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
hiracer Offline OP
OP Offline
My initial meeting with Alex was very pleasant.

But Alex and I have agreed that it's the piano I'm taking home. (giggle)

OTOH, I confess to being a bit obsessive about researching major purchases before splitting with my money. Spendng gobs of money doesn't come easy for me, and if my son was a lesser pianist I could have avoided this experience all together. Obviously I wasn't thinking ahead 8.5 years ago when I agreed with my wife that piano lessons would be a good idea!!!

The good news is that I got two boys and the younger one is following his older brother's foot steps four years behind. So I get two instruments for the price of one. Such a deal.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Careful John!

I am probably going to be buying a second grand here in the not too distant future.

Katie has aspirations of becoming a concert pianist. smile

If she starts practicing three or four hours each day I will not have much chance to play at all! frown

I am looking at a 1930s Busch & Gertz 5'3" I think. My technician owns it and tells me it is in very good shape. It has never been rebuilt but it has been well maintained apparently.

I am going to check it out soon. :rolleyes:

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission