2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, I have a Yamaha DGX 640.

Recently I have discovered that whenever I hit a low B-flat, the right speaker will make a buzzing noise when the note is sounded. The left speaker works perfectly fine, and hitting other notes do not reproduce this same problem. This is perplexing, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Possibly the note is resonating with something inside the room or within the instrument's cabinet itself.

Does the issue happen when selecting a different instrument sound?
Does reducing the speaker volume improve things?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the quick reply.

The issue happens when selecting virtually all piano sounds. Based on my observations, the other instruments (i.e. bass, organs) do not seem to have this problem.

When the speaker volume is significantly reduced, the buzzing sound is no longer there. However, my preference is to play in a louder volume, and whenever that particular note is hit, the buzzing sound becomes really apparent.

S
OP Offline
S
Ok I figured out the source of the vibration. Whenever the buzzing sound is heard, I press against the metal piece covering the right speaker, and the buzzing sound disappears. So now, for lack of a better way to resolve it, I have placed a weight on top of the right speaker, and it does reduce the buzzing to a huge extent.

If, however, there is a more ideal method to deal with this issue, please advise.. Thanks!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by stamwick
If, however, there is a more ideal method to deal with this issue, please advise.. Thanks!

Silicone seal or some other kind of rubbery glue like hot melt glue. The hard part is making it look neat. Likely some disassembly required.

I'm glad to hear that you've found a simple solution. I've had a similar problem with my YDP-161 but haven't yet solved it. As in your case, my right speaker buzzes, but it does so in response to a D5. Oddly, the problem seems to come and go. I haven't figured out a pattern yet, though it seems to happen after I've been playing for a longer period. I've tried removing everything around the piano and even moving the piano itself to the middle of the room, but the problem persists. I got the dealer to replace the speaker and, when that didn't help, the keyboard, but it <i>still</i> happens.

So it's either a systemic problem with the 161s (which I think is unlikely, since I haven't found any other complaints online) or something particular to my setup. Next time it happens I'm planning to check the stand very carefully and also to move the piano into another room. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Working on: Re-establishing the basics and re-learning the pieces I used to know
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Open it up and take a look, that's what I'd do.

I opened up my old GranTouch and rattle proofed it. I tied wires together and wedged foam anywhere a potential problem might occur.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
If it's in warranty, I'd call the maker and have them perform the necessary service.

It is still under warranty, but it's hard to get it fixed because the problem is intermittent. I called the dealer and the sent out a tech; the piano was fine when he visited, but he replaced the right speaker on my request. When that didn't help, I called the dealer again. They took my keyboard (but not the stand) and couldn't find anything wrong with it but, again, replaced it just based on my say-so.

Given that I've been through three speakers and two keyboards, I'm starting to think it's unlikely that it's a problem with the unit. On the other hand, given that the problem persists when I move the piano around the room, it's hard to believe that it's something resonating near the piano. To be honest, I'm a bit stumped...

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Working on: Re-establishing the basics and re-learning the pieces I used to know
Did you mention earlier that you can press on the speaker (grille?) area to stop the buzzing?

If so, I wouldn't have asked for a speaker replacement.

It's more likely that the vibration is either in the speaker grille cover, or in the mounting of the speaker to the cabinet (screws or other attachment), or is coming from some other component vibrating via sympathetic resonance.

No, it was the OP who managed to solve their problem by pressing on the grille. I haven't been able to make the buzzing stop by pressing anywhere, unfortunately.

Since the entire keyboard (including speakers) has been replaced, I think the buzzing must be coming from resonance in the cabinet (which wasn't replaced). I've looked over the cabinet and everything seems tight. The piano is behaving at the moment, but next time I have a problem I'm going to check the cabinet very carefully.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
My piano started buzzing tonight. For the first time ever, I was actually able to make it stop. (Previously, I've just waited and it would stop by itself.) I removed the screws attaching the keyboard to the cabinet and the buzzing stopped; I'm hoping this wasn't just a coincidence. I've added a bit of rubber between the mount (on the stand) and the underside of the keyboard and reattached the screws. Since the problem comes and goes, I'm not sure if I've actually fixed it or if it just went away again. I'll give it some time and then report back either way.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Is this buzzing a 60 hertz humm?
If so. I have had an intermittent 60 herts humm in a studio monitor. Found it was actually too much load for the source. When a stronger source fed the monitor, it stopped. This source is pre amp level. The monitor has an amp in it.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
No, it sounds more like some kind of vibration/rattle than a hum. It hasn't been a problem this weekend, though, so I'm hoping the added rubber actually fixed it, but I'll wait a bit longer before saying so for sure...

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Just an update: the problem hasn't recurred even though I've had some longer playing sessions, so I guess the rubber did the trick.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
C
C
I had the same thing happening as well, and I found a solution that worked well.

The right speaker on my Yamaha YDP-223 would buzz whenever I played the D above middle C. It would buzz a bit less when I played the other Ds. I could also hear a faint buzzing if I struck the keyboard fairly hard near the center when the keyboard was powered off.

I opened up the piano (by removing the top 3 screws in the back and then pulling the top piece of wood forward to the keys). The buzzing was coming from a clear plastic enclosure around some electronics and a giant capacitor, just behind the right speaker. I've attached a picture where this is outlined in red (because it's clear it's otherwise a bit hard to make out in the picture). The clear plastic enclosure vibrated at about a D when touched.

[Linked Image]

I damped the plastic with ball of medical tape (another picture attached), and the problem went away completely.

[Linked Image]

Hope this helps!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I had a buzz with my previous DP a Kawai CN33 that I could not track down. The noise eventually stopped when I moved it to another room. I have since discovered the cause of the buzz was a wall clock in the original room.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I had a buzz with my previous DP a Kawai CN33 that I could not track down. The noise eventually stopped when I moved it to another room. I have since discovered the cause of the buzz was a wall clock in the original room.

Like figuring out that the bad rattle in your car is actually the loose change in the ashtray, lol.

T
T
I'm a "newbie" here and I'm having almost the same problem as mine but mine involves the upper register of the keys (both the black and white keys) and when I hit either one of those notes, a buzzing sound will occur and there's virtually no sustain to them, either. I've sent the keyboard (it's a Yamaha YPG-640X 88 weighted-key DP) to the local music shop I bought it from but they can't seem to find any problem - but I know my ears when I hear a different sound than what I've been getting. It does it on all piano settings as well. cry

I'm un-sure of which step to take. I bought the keyboard back in 2011 and I'm not sure if it's still under warranty.

What would you professionals recommend?

Sincerely,
Tony Trout

T
T
Hey, gang!!

I know it's been a long time (almost two years!) since I last posted here (health issues with my heart were the cause of me not posting) but I found out the problem with the buzzing and it's the speaker. I put my hand on it and the buzzing stopped. Plus, I began using a different "Grand Piano" setting (#155) and I actually like that one setting better that the "Live Grand Piano (#001).

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you all know that I solved my problem.

Thanks,
Tony Trout

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission