Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
94 registered (ando, anotherscott, Anticlock, angga888, 31 invisible), 1352 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1774058 - 10/20/11 11:55 AM Ideas needed for new name for recital site
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi loyal AB forum members,

As you may remember, LaValse is hosting the recital files on his website. He PM'ed me this morning saying that we now have 11 GB of stored files there! Which is good news, because it means the recitals have been successful beyond our wildest dreams.

The bad news is that in order to plan for the future, we need to move the recital files to another hosting site (LaValse's business site is limited to 70 GB). LaValse has looked into the issue and suggested that we purchase our own domain name, and we can host it at a place he knows about with UNLIMITED storage, WOOT!!

So... we need to come up with what to call our very own AB forum recital website domain. smile

I suppose "ABForumRecital.com" is a likely candidate, but I could also see "RedDotJitters.com" too. laugh Any other ideas?

p.s. .com domain names are a lot cheaper than .org sites, so we should stick with that.

p.p.s. These changes will take place AFTER the next recital, so there will be plenty of time to make the necessary changes to the recital software etc.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1774068 - 10/20/11 12:10 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I really like RedDotJitters.com

I suppose OrderOfTheRedDot.com could be a contender as well.... but practically speaking I think the most reasonable would probably be something that has ABF+Recital.

ABForumRecital.com, as you suggested.
ABFRecital.com

ABFJitterBugs.com
ABFJitters.com

or what about

ABFRedDots.com
ABFRedDotters.com

The domain won't cost too much- what about the hosting fees? Do we need to take up a collection?
Is LaValse going to manage the site for us or do we need another volunteer?

I'd be willing to chip in and help if I can be of assistance. I have some experience in setting up simple websites.

#1774070 - 10/20/11 12:14 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Just to clarify, I have a Heart Internet reseller account (privately - for my projects - http://sailwave.com, http://vaxfax.me etc) so I can create and host websites.

I'm happy to host an ABF website for free - as Monica said - unlimited space and just as important, unlimited bandwidth.

So all we need is a domain name to point at the hosting, which is chirpy cheep.

It's exactly the same hosting as http://sailwave.com itself. Heart are great I recommend them.

smile

#1774071 - 10/20/11 12:14 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Knights of the Red Dot.com

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1774073 - 10/20/11 12:15 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Go here to check if your domain name ideas are available:-

http://heartinternet.co.uk

Type your domain idea into field top right (no spaces allowed in domain names)...

I doubt there'll be a problem though... smile

#1774075 - 10/20/11 12:17 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh, Knights of the red dot.com is like Kord.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1774079 - 10/20/11 12:21 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

The URL for the hosting site is:

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk

You can check there to see if any name is open. LaValse already checked for abforumrecital.com and it's available.

The fee is only six pounds per year. (I am too lazy to find out where the pound symbol is on this American keyboard...) LaValse has generously volunteered to cover the expense; he may add a click through link to amazon on the site as a way of partially covering his expenses. I also asked him if it would be possible for others of us to donate toward the expense and the hassle of managing the site; I know I would like to, at least. He said he could accept donations via paypay, colin@sailwave.com.

I don't think there's much that needs to be done in redesigning the software to change the hosting site; it's just a matter of changing the URL in the instructions and then actually moving the archives over.

LaValse says there is no additional expense for hosting the site (something about how he already has an account that allows for other websites), so the six pounds a year is the only recurring expense for setting up the recital with unlimited storage in its own site.

[oops. I took so long typing all that stuff that LaValse snuck in ahead of me and explained it all much more clearly! sorry for the redundancy.]

Edited by Monica K. (10/20/11 12:22 PM)

#1774085 - 10/20/11 12:28 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One decision is do you want to make all the previous recitals available on the site. Currently it's only used to submit entries and present the latest recital in the player.

The issue here is (possibly) taking traffic away from Frank and his revenue from advertising.

#1774086 - 10/20/11 12:29 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

pianoperformance.org? Something generic could promote traffic to PW and ABF?

#1774088 - 10/20/11 12:33 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's a good point. If all the recitals were available and there was prominent links back to PW/ABF it would increase traffic/members to PW/ABF and I would guess easily outweigh the loss of traffic due to ppl listening on the site rather than finding the old recitals on PW.

#1774090 - 10/20/11 12:35 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
PianoworldABFRecital.com

Daily ramblings....

#1774101 - 10/20/11 12:49 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Maybe we should specifically talk to Frank ?

I rather like Knights of the Red Dot (kord) lol....

I think it would be great to have all the previous recitals show on the new site and probably having them link back here would be doing the right thing by Frank in terms of hits.
(there would probably end up being extra ones because people would be curious about the old recitals. )

I don't know exactly how the advertising works - if you get "credit" when someone just opens the page or does someone actually have to "click" on the ad???

We'd also want alink to Sam's Database, wouldn't we?

I don't use pay pal but paying for something through Amazon works for me.

This is so exciting!

#1774106 - 10/20/11 12:58 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: casinitaly]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

How about a vote, like cindysphinx but without a job at the end of it? everyone could put up a nomination, and at a set cut off time a vote could happen.

It was your order of the red dot Cas that made me think of "Knights of the red dot .com" (Kord)

#1774117 - 10/20/11 01:35 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Rossy, I can take no credit for the Order of the Red Dot, that is a noble association I am proud to be a part of, but I didn't create it.

ORDER OF THE RED DOT

#1774125 - 10/20/11 01:48 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sorry Cas. I credited you falsely, by accident. Unintentionally one may say. without due cause, another will chime in.

#1774132 - 10/20/11 01:57 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Sorry Cas. I credited you falsely, by accident. Unintentionally one may say. without due cause, another will chime in.

um, it's not a crime.

Who has another name suggestion?

#1774142 - 10/20/11 02:15 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
RedDotPiano.com

Estonia L190 #7284

#1774145 - 10/20/11 02:19 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
thurisaz Offline

Loc: Finland
I don't have a name suggestion, but I'm happy to help LaValse with the admin side, if need. I've built/maintained a few sites and also done a fair bit of perl/php+MySQL coding.

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Working on: Alfred's Adult Piano Level 2, Satie Gymnopedie N. 1

#1774146 - 10/20/11 02:21 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Pianoworldsadultbeginnerforumquarterlyrecitals.com

lol smile

Edited by wayne32yrs (10/20/11 05:36 PM)

#1774157 - 10/20/11 02:42 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I'm in favor of anything easily remembered; if we don't care about transparency (ie seeing the name tells you what it is) I like the red dot variations; if we want people to know what it is from the domain, I like having "PW" in it if Frank's cool with that, and "ABF", along the lines of pw_abf_recitals.com.

I also like the idea of linking back to this forum from it... maybe that's already done, though - I've only visited it a couple times and can't remember.

#1774172 - 10/20/11 03:14 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Although some of the other suggestions are certainly more fun and creative, I like Bessel's suggestion, because it is unambiguous and straightforward. (And also because it has both PW and ABF in it.)

If I understand correctly, this is to replace the abf.make247.co.uk site? My question is, if all the old recital files are moved to the new one, won't that mess up all the links in the original recital threads? Also, will Sam have to change the index he is maintaining?

BTW, thanks so much LaValse, for taking care of all this for us!

#1774186 - 10/20/11 03:33 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: MaryBee]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

If I understand correctly, this is to replace the abf.make247.co.uk site? My question is, if all the old recital files are moved to the new one, won't that mess up all the links in the original recital threads? Also, will Sam have to change the index he is maintaining?

BTW, thanks so much LaValse, for taking care of all this for us!

If the links to the recordings change, then the ABF recital index links will not work anymore. Not only that, but the links in all the old recital posts in the ABF forum won't work anymore either. So if you looked up the old recitals at PW then you couldn't listen to any of the recordings.

But I'm guessing LaValse will take all this into consideration and use a redirect or something so the new site doesn't break all the old links.

Of course, if he builds a neat new site with all the recitals archived and indexed and searchable then my ABF recital index can fade away into internet history - and I'll have more time to practice!

Sam

#1774197 - 10/20/11 03:49 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
If the site name ended in "red" then you would get the dot for free as there is already a dot in .com, for example abfred.com .

#1774238 - 10/20/11 04:59 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
kylefty Offline

Loc: Bardstown,Ky
Is this the same as "October Piano Bar", the recital you are talking about moving?

#1774243 - 10/20/11 05:03 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

No... the piano bars are monthly free-for-alls where people upload recordings to wherever and then post links in the piano bar threads. The recitals occur only quarterly, and they're more "official" or organized in the sense of the recordings being uploaded in a common format and placed into zip files, along with a streaming player, that makes it easier to listen to them all together.

Hope that makes sense. The easiest way to see the difference is to check out some of our past recitals; look for the link that's in the "Important Topics for AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page.

#1774279 - 10/20/11 06:08 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
crescendo Offline

ABFrecitals.com

short and simple

#1774296 - 10/20/11 06:42 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I like the ones that refer to Piano World and ABF.

Cathy

#1774299 - 10/20/11 06:47 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Thnx Cathy, I got one vote at least smile

#1774323 - 10/20/11 07:21 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I vote that LaValse, who is doing all the work, take our input (perhaps weighted by our past submissions, which happens to be zero in my case) into consideration and then do whatever he wants. smile

#1774370 - 10/20/11 09:12 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: wayne33yrs]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
Pianoworldsadultbeginnerforumquarterlyrecitals.com

lol smile

ah ha ha ha! That's great!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
Yesterday at 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
Yesterday at 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
Yesterday at 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
Yesterday at 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
Yesterday at 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348933 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission