Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 41 invisible), 1571 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1774373 - 10/20/11 09:18 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I love all the creative, witty ideas but I agree with Bessel. I think something
simple and self explanitory would be good.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1774390 - 10/20/11 10:06 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Kymber]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Kymber
I love all the creative, witty ideas but I agree with Bessel. I think something simple and self explanitory would be good.
You could have the simple and self-explanatory name as the main one, with a red-dotty subtitle on the main page. Best of both worlds. (I'm not part of this, but couldn't resist throwing that in) smile

#1774458 - 10/21/11 01:27 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I say we just name it after me and be done with it! Sorta like the University of Phoenix Stadium, located in Glendale AZ of course!

#1774461 - 10/21/11 01:49 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
The University of Super-Hunky Stadium and Beginner Recital Palace - yes, it has a certain cache.

Cathy

#1774464 - 10/21/11 02:05 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: jotur]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: jotur
The University of Super-Hunky Stadium and Beginner Recital Palace - yes, it has a certain cache.

#1774485 - 10/21/11 03:44 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: currawong]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
Originally Posted By: Kymber
I love all the creative, witty ideas but I agree with Bessel. I think something simple and self explanitory would be good.
You could have the simple and self-explanatory name as the main one, with a red-dotty subtitle on the main page. Best of both worlds. (I'm not part of this, but couldn't resist throwing that in) smile

someone who looks for solutions- I like it!
Btw... I have yet to play/post a recital peice. But now I think I obligated myself to do so by responding the this topic. Eeeek!

#1774486 - 10/21/11 03:46 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
I say we just name it after me and be done with it! Sorta like the University of Phoenix Stadium, located in Glendale AZ of course!

The super hunky red dot abf experience!

#1774502 - 10/21/11 05:13 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Artur Gajewski Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Simple: MyRecital.com

Author of Piano Lessons Package for Synthesia & Child's Piano Play

#1774519 - 10/21/11 06:59 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: crescendo]
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa
I agree with Crescendo, short and simple

ABFrecitals.com

#1774557 - 10/21/11 09:21 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Artur Gajewski]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Artur Gajewski
Simple: MyRecital.com

Unavailable

#1774604 - 10/21/11 11:27 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Short and simple and not overly cute. Cute gets tiresome after a while. Red dot syndrome and referral to PW can be handled with sub-heads and links.

Kurt

#1774685 - 10/21/11 02:10 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

ABFrecitals.com just makes too much sense. It's short, simple and describes exactly what it is. My vote would go for that title.

#1774701 - 10/21/11 02:55 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
MissyDee Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
New to posting (i just got my piano yesterday, so major newb here) but wanted to chime in. I like mypianorecital.com which is available. Im a web designer too and I like the idea of something simple but not branded only to the forum that can pull in traffic from elsewhere, piano recital in the url will provide much SEO goodness for google. smile

Also this sounds like fun and my company (my husband and I lol) could draw a custom logo/header for the site after you decide, I'd love to make that free contribution. The sites we design are very art heavy since that's what we specialize in, one example is crazyrumors.com smile

"All art is quite useless." ~ Oscar Wilde

#1774712 - 10/21/11 03:26 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: MissyDee]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: sukiyue
New to posting (i just got my piano yesterday, so major newb here) but wanted to chime in. I like mypianorecital.com which is available. Im a web designer too and I like the idea of something simple but not branded only to the forum that can pull in traffic from elsewhere, piano recital in the url will provide much SEO goodness for google. smile

Also this sounds like fun and my company (my husband and I lol) could draw a custom logo/header for the site after you decide, I'd love to make that free contribution. The sites we design are very art heavy since that's what we specialize in, one example is crazyrumors.com smile
And there we have it -- a professional's opinion! Thanks, sukiyue. Congrats on your new piano, and welcome to ABF! BTW, I like your avatar.

#1774716 - 10/21/11 03:33 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sukiyue, I agree with you that a more decriptive title could possibly lure in more listeners. A title like "Listen to begining piano students perform.com" would be even more descriptive and probably end up in key word search results to a much larger potential audience. Your idea is valid.

My only possible concern is do we as a group want to keep our current peaceful forum putting along at a slow-moderate pace? Or do we want to be potentially overwhelmed with traffic that may become less personal and more volume oriented?

I'm not saying this will happen, but it could.

Over the past several years I have seen the volume increase here and unfortunately, the turnover as well. I realize that these are natural occurances of an internet forum and will proabably run its course anyway. I just don't know in what direction most of us would like to see this forum head.

This probably is topic for another thread anyway but I figured I'll post my thoughts on this.

Thanks for the generous offer of the logo. Along with La Valse hosting, Monicas organization, Sams recital index, Coppers stats etc, these recitals are becoming better all the time.

Edited by mr_super-hunky (10/21/11 03:35 PM)

#1774726 - 10/21/11 03:54 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Hi, sukiyue - hope you love your new piano. This is the place to be for help and fun while you learn smile

I like ABFrecitals.com, or possibly PW-ABFrecitals. I don't feel the need for traffic outside of our ownselves for the recitals. It's not like I'm waiting to be discovered! And I would hope that those who are aren't tempted to be in our recitals - I'd like them to not be very commerializable. It's hard enough to keep people from cluttering up the forums who are really just linking to their sell-you sites - Greg must clean up several a month. So I like keeping us to forum participators and adjuncts smile

Cathy

#1774768 - 10/21/11 05:14 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I too am a bit hesitant about the idea of drawing in a lot of "outsiders" to listen to our recitals. I think that we are very definitely a Piano World Group and don't want to break with that - we have a wonderful community here and I see the new site as something that really should not take on a life of its own, but rather just be an add-on (conceptually) to this forum.

Isn't it about time we made sure Frank was aware of an involved in this conversation?

#1774850 - 10/21/11 08:02 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I too am a bit hesitant about the idea of drawing in a lot of "outsiders" to listen to our recitals. I think that we are very definitely a Piano World Group and don't want to break with that - we have a wonderful community here and I see the new site as something that really should not take on a life of its own, but rather just be an add-on (conceptually) to this forum.

Hear hear.

#1774864 - 10/21/11 08:27 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Here is another possibility.

I can set up a sub domain of Piano World, say RedDot.PianoWorld.com or

ABF_Rectitals.PianoWorld.com or some such.

Someone would still need to maintain the recordings/postings/etc., but there would be no charge for the space or the bandwidth and links would still be relative to Piano World.

We actually lease a number of servers which are constantly being upgraded to handle our ever growing traffic.

Alternately you/we/I can purchase a domain, and host it on our servers.

If possible I'd like to keep the family together :-)

Speaking of which, I can also easily create a sub-forum within the ABF specifically for the recital discussions.

As you can see by hv's post in the Cape Cod Party thread, hosting multiple mp3/videos isn't a problem
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1664128/2/
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1774913 - 10/21/11 10:46 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Frank, this IS your site and having you involved in our recitals is probably the best all around. Then again, we (the ABF members) have handled these recitlas from the start and really have not had many problems. either way, it is probably best to have your support and blessings on how it is run while keeping it all Piano World related.

Could we just keep everything the same but host the recitals on the Piano world servers as mentioned? This way nothing really changes and La Valse doesn't have to cough up the cash to cover us. Monica will remain the administrator and I'll continue to do nothing as usual.

Sounds like a plan to me.

#1774966 - 10/22/11 01:31 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
MissyDee Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Thanks for the welcomes. smile The sub domain offering from PW Frank if your wanting to keep in in the "family", which is totally understandable, is a great one. Also something to keep in mind, and I'm not trying to be all depresso or anything, but if something happened to the member who purchased the domain name or you could not reach them when it came time to renew, you would be in trouble. This happens all the time to my clients. A client is moving their site from an old designer who hosted their site and ordered their domain name for them, they go to email or get ahold of the old designer and can't, and client is up a creek without a paddle. Its not a pretty situation to lose your domain after years of building something up.

Not saying that would happen with LaValse or anyone else ordering the domain, I'm sure you have your bases covered, but having a official forum hosted site would take that worry away from you. It's the reason I don't resell hosting or domains, to much responsibility on that end lol. wink

Ok i'm done sticking my nose in, its just to hard to resist when the conversation goes this way since it's my living. My offer of doing a free group logo/header stands though, I think it would be fun. wink

"All art is quite useless." ~ Oscar Wilde

#1774971 - 10/22/11 01:46 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
Could we just keep everything the same but host the recitals on the Piano world servers as mentioned? This way nothing really changes and La Valse doesn't have to cough up the cash to cover us. Monica will remain the administrator and I'll continue to do nothing as usual.

Sounds like a plan to me.

That actually sounds good to me. I'd rather not have a separate subforum for it - boy, am I resistant to change or what? laugh

Howsomever, it is still true that for me a lot of the attraction of the ABF is that we're all in it together smile Works for me.

Cathy

#1775009 - 10/22/11 05:25 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

I think that having something hosted right in PW would be great - particularly since we would not have to mess with older links to past recitals.

--- or am I mistaken? This supposes (I think) that the existing recital files remain in La Valse's system doesn't it? -which is what we're trying to remedy with a new site/subforum/thingy .....

I like the idea of a subforum - because then we could keep all the new recitals in one place, and we could have a sticky at the top with links to all the past ones.

A new subforum would be (I suppose) right that the top of the ABF, nicely nested within the community that loves it so dearly.

and...it's very kind of MissyDee to offer to make a logo.

#1775093 - 10/22/11 11:27 AM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
House of the Red Dot might have some appeal.

Love to learn

#1775108 - 10/22/11 12:08 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I propose to drop the "adult" or is it really necessary?

And use org instead of com? It's not commercial, right?

something like

pianorecitals.org

pianoworldrecitals.org

#1775111 - 10/22/11 12:18 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: WiseBuff]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
House of the Red Dot might have some appeal.

Red Dot, Rising Sun. . . yeah, super-hunky might fit there smile

In my youth I might have :\

Cathy

#1775114 - 10/22/11 12:22 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

One thing about a subforum that I think is problematic is that, at least for me, it isn't bolded when there's a new post and I never see the ones in the other forums. It's also physically separated from the other posts. So even tho I'd be looking for posts when I sign on, it wouldn't be obvious to those who weren't recital sensitive, and I think it would be harder for newbies, or even just those haven't been in one, to be aware of it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Cathy

#1775119 - 10/22/11 12:31 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

jotor, it's only for hosting the recital files, if I understand right. Not about posting comments.

#1775125 - 10/22/11 12:37 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

I see your point Cathy- I tend to subscribe to the recital threads anyway while they are "hot", and I also use the "active topics/posts features", which does show the forums and subforums. However, for someone new, yes,... it could be less obvious.

Wouter, I thought that it WOULD be a possible forum for posting, but of course it doesn't have to be.

#1775207 - 10/22/11 03:26 PM Re: Ideas needed for new name for recital site [Re: MissyDee]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Welcome MissyDee and congrats on the new acquisition!

Quote:
The sub domain offering from PW Frank if your wanting to keep in in the "family", which is totally understandable, is a great one.

+1
Does this work with the recital software Monica is using?

Quote:
My offer of doing a free group logo/header stands though, I think it would be fun. wink

Good idea thumb

Quote:
ABFrecitals.com just makes too much sense. It's short, simple and describes exactly what it is. My vote would go for that title.

+2

Sam, does Frank's offer- work for you being able to link your work to the recital sub domain?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
32 minutes 39 seconds ago
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
59 minutes 17 seconds ago
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
Today at 07:19 PM
Garritan CFX vs VI Ravenscroft?
by LFYM
Today at 06:52 PM
Other Yamaha DGx 640/650 owners here ?
by vbdx66
Today at 06:19 PM
Forum Stats
77047 Members
42 Forums
159354 Topics
2340799 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission