Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1773448 - 10/19/11 11:05 AM Breaking news at NAMM 2012?
Porcupine Offline

Hello!

Do you think that some brand-new interesting stage/digital pianos are going to be released at NAMM 2012? If so, what models do you think it would be?

Kind regards

Porcupine

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1773601 - 10/19/11 04:11 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
reza Offline

Loc: Tehran, Iran
Let's say.... a Nord Piano with AG or at least MP10 action grin

Edited by reza (10/19/11 04:15 PM)

#1773624 - 10/19/11 04:57 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Unless someone is an industry insider, how can anyone here know what might be shown at NAMM?

Even then, wouldn't a vendor and its employees withhold such information to maintain proprietary interests?

#1773820 - 10/19/11 11:57 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: MacMacMac]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Unless someone is an industry insider, how can anyone here know what might be shown at NAMM?

Even then, wouldn't a vendor and its employees withhold such information to maintain proprietary interests?

This is true even if you know something you are not allowed to say anything these days.

#1773829 - 10/20/11 12:19 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Come on Dr P, spill the beans man! wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1773843 - 10/20/11 12:59 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
Prognostication mostly comes down to wishful thinking - and it's about as productive as navel gazing. smile

G

Edited by Glenn NK (10/20/11 01:00 AM)

#1773877 - 10/20/11 02:07 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Kawai James]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Come on Dr P, spill the beans man! wink

James
x

Nah I can't I got in enough trouble for letting the Jupiter 80 out of the bag 12 months early ...which I did in here and nobody noticed thank god ....

#1773884 - 10/20/11 02:43 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Okay, fair enough.

For what it's worth, this is what I'm currently working on.
No prizes for guessing...

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1773923 - 10/20/11 06:12 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Some speculation based on trends, gaps or previous releases can be fun and also accurate. Most of this board 'guessed' Roland were coming out with a FP-4F and 300NX well in advance. Well maybe it was wishful thinking but they got what they wished for. There are probably other examples ...

Edited by spanishbuddha (10/20/11 06:18 AM)

#1773971 - 10/20/11 08:20 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

I am hoping to see a new V-Piano Upgrade similar to the Evolution which adds some more sounds or perhaps another modeled piano.

#1774003 - 10/20/11 09:32 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano
I am hoping to see a new V-Piano Upgrade similar to the Evolution which adds some more sounds or perhaps another modeled piano.

that would be nice. really, just anything from Roland to indicate they are still involved with the product. of course, they did launch the V Grand, maybe they can find another line extension to get a price point near $30K.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1774059 - 10/20/11 11:56 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I'd like manufacturers to spend some engineering cycles working on high-end portable (light-weight, small) DPs. Shave some pounds and physical volume off of the flagships, without hobbling the software or removing any controls. Toss in some small neodymium speakers and don't forget the music rest.

I'd like manufacturers to spend more time designing alternative keyboard actions that are more optimal (cause fewer injuries, easy to play / difficult to accidentally trigger). The choice between organ actions and ersatz piano hammer actions with very little in between has gone on too long (actions like those in the CP1/5 and VAx77 should be more the norm IMO). Some kind of standards here would help everyone, players and manufacturers alike - but we unfortunately exist inside a kind of prisoner's dilemma with the industry so heavily balkanized. MIDI (for all its faults) could never happen now.

I'd also like to see more innovative electronic constructs that are true instruments (not separate controllers and sound sources linked via an information choke point like MIDI). Maybe an updated polyphonic Electronic Sacbut, where note volume is controlled by how far the key is depressed (allowing continuous envelope control), vibrato and glides are accomplished via the keyboard (not moving some cumbersome stick to add canned vibrato), and real-time timbre control with the left hand lends tremendous expression.

Around here, Sweetwater and Musician's Friend catalogs get at most a five minute cursory glance before going into the circular file. There isn't any real innovation going on anymore. Even hobbyists tend to build the same old crap over and over. It's weird, manufacturers have the ability to build literally anything at this point, and inexpensively, yet NAMMs are increasingly becoming less and less interesting from the standpoint of real musical expression (IMO). It's rather analogous to the movie industry, where innovation has taken a back seat to safe investment, to the point where genuine indies don't happen much anymore, so the possibility (and therefore thrill) of experiencing something genuinely new is largely gone.

#1774063 - 10/20/11 12:02 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: bfb]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bfb

that would be nice. really, just anything from Roland to indicate they are still involved with the product. of course, they did launch the V Grand, maybe they can find another line extension to get a price point near $30K.

Roland brought out Evolution last year, then the V-P Grand this year: one 'upgrade' a year, which sounds to me they're very much committed to the whole concept of modelling and the V. Or am I too easy to please, or too ignorant of DP matters to expect a whole lot more, and more upgrades and new stuff to put into our Vs much more often....? grin (After all, the acoustic grand has remained unchanged for 100 years)

#1774084 - 10/20/11 12:27 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: bennevis]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Roland brought out Evolution last year, then the V-P Grand this year: one 'upgrade' a year, which sounds to me they're very much committed to the whole concept of modelling and the V. Or am I too easy to please, or too ignorant of DP matters to expect a whole lot more, and more upgrades and new stuff to put into our Vs much more often....? grin (After all, the acoustic grand has remained unchanged for 100 years)

i dont think the vgrand added any value for me, a vpiano owner. so that's 2 years now with no significant upgrades/improvements. now maybe its possible that whatever they did in the vgrand to improve its authenticity relative to the vpiano will eventually trickle down in an update to us lowly worms who own the vpiano. maybe...

EDIT: an expanded thought would be that at the vpiano's price point, it shouldn't be just a discrete purchase, but a platform for an evolving system. it you buy a $2000 keyboard, you might be ready to upgrade to the next generation in 3 or 4 years- but when you pay 6K+ you expect the keyboard to be in your arsenal and evolving with technology for a longer period of time. if i'm wrong about that, then i would have to argue you need to keep the hardware and software decisions separate from each other. get a controller and buy software separately (i know, it lacks playability etc- i've been there too...)as it evolves. I think Nord- if they can get the onboard flash memory in their boards affordably moved to a couple gigs (and perhaps that could be something that could be removed and upgraded as a individual component- like the RAM in your PC)- might have a better mousetrap with their replaceable software.

Edited by bfb (10/20/11 12:35 PM)

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1774100 - 10/20/11 12:46 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

since i'm in a pontifical mood....if i were to start a DP company, i would build a controller with a superior to best in class piano action, a modular onboard memory device that could be replaced/upgraded as memory prices per storage unit followed moore's law downward, and an OS that allowed the user to go online to choose and replace at their discrtion a pallet of software pianos/voices- a la Nord's program management system. and the pianos would range from a very large footprint to reduced sizes. that way when i recorded, i could use one mega monster to fill up the memory, and when i played live, i could put several to many on the board.

so... i could continue to sell you increased memory, and probably find a way to have you subscribe to my piano library.

am i ready to go public?

#1774119 - 10/20/11 01:39 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
Gomer Offline

Bruce, and don't forget that the slab DP can be "upgraded" as a drop in to a grand body with amplification etc :-D

#1774129 - 10/20/11 01:50 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Gomer]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gomer
Bruce, and don't forget that the slab DP can be "upgraded" as a drop in to a grand body with amplification etc :-D

cool idea. a grand piano body docking station with amplification.

#1774177 - 10/20/11 03:16 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
legatoboy Offline

Loc: Huntington,LI New York
How about a minibar,

cigar ash tray and porta-potty....
Just kidding I like the above ideas!

#1774545 - 10/21/11 08:29 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: bfb]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

i dont think the vgrand added any value for me, a vpiano owner. so that's 2 years now with no significant upgrades/improvements. now maybe its possible that whatever they did in the vgrand to improve its authenticity relative to the vpiano will eventually trickle down in an update to us lowly worms who own the vpiano. maybe...

EDIT: an expanded thought would be that at the vpiano's price point, it shouldn't be just a discrete purchase, but a platform for an evolving system. it you buy a $2000 keyboard, you might be ready to upgrade to the next generation in 3 or 4 years- but when you pay 6K+ you expect the keyboard to be in your arsenal and evolving with technology for a longer period of time. if i'm wrong about that, then i would have to argue you need to keep the hardware and software decisions separate from each other. get a controller and buy software separately (i know, it lacks playability etc- i've been there too...)as it evolves. I think Nord- if they can get the onboard flash memory in their boards affordably moved to a couple gigs (and perhaps that could be something that could be removed and upgraded as a individual component- like the RAM in your PC)- might have a better mousetrap with their replaceable software.

Agreed. It's been two years since the V-piano gets anything new. They did mention the V-Piano grand has some new programming that goes beyond simply to accommodate for the multi speaker arrangement. I don't know, I've never played it. Can someone who has let us know if the V-Piano grand has a new preset sound that the Evolution upgrade doesn't?

#1774607 - 10/21/11 11:31 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, The V-P Grand has two presets not available on Evolution, designed especially for the V-P Grand. Both are called V-Piano Grand something (which I can't remember). They sounded nice through the speakers (and seems to have extended decay time and presence) but I didn't get to evaluate them via my headphones so I can't compare directly with the V1 etc.

BTW, the Evolution upgrade only came out last year. My V-P didn't have them in.

#1774609 - 10/21/11 11:39 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Porcupine]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

All I want is a music rack on stage pianos, even if its just a plastic thing that fits in a slot, like a Casio Privia.

Just got finished making one for my Rd700gx. Hey Roland...

#1774690 - 10/21/11 02:26 PM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: bennevis]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, The V-P Grand has two presets not available on Evolution, designed especially for the V-P Grand. Both are called V-Piano Grand something (which I can't remember). They sounded nice through the speakers (and seems to have extended decay time and presence) but I didn't get to evaluate them via my headphones so I can't compare directly with the V1 etc.

BTW, the Evolution upgrade only came out last year. My V-P didn't have them in.

Evolution came out in January 2010. its October 2011. 21 months is closer to 2 years than 1 year. I bought mine in early January 2010 and upgraded to Evolution within a couple weeks. here's the link. .

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/V-Piano_Evolution_Press_Release.pdf

#1776100 - 10/24/11 08:28 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: Kawai James]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Okay, fair enough.

For what it's worth, this is what I'm currently working on.
No prizes for guessing...

Kawai ES7! Sweet wink

#1776127 - 10/24/11 09:28 AM Re: Breaking news at NAMM 2012? [Re: bfb]
5000 Post Club Member

Evolution came out in January 2010. its October 2011. 21 months is closer to 2 years than 1 year. I bought mine in early January 2010 and upgraded to Evolution within a couple weeks. here's the link. .

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/V-Piano_Evolution_Press_Release.pdf

OK, I see I'm somewhat behind the times (nothing new there grin). I only heard about Evolution around Christmas last year and it wasn't until a few months ago I decided to 'have a go' at putting them into my V-P......

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammond Repair?
by tjbron
10/22/14 11:49 AM
Sight-reading books or resources for a beginner?
by Giancarlo Robles
10/22/14 10:52 AM
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
10/22/14 10:24 AM
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
10/22/14 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
10/22/14 06:07 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (Almaviva, 36251, anamnesis, ajames, AndresD, 40 invisible), 1711 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76613 Members
42 Forums
158413 Topics
2326356 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission