2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
You are correcting her seating at the DP at home, that's good.

From what you say, it sounds like two things are at play. First, she probably does have a finger that simply grows in a way that causes the awkward playing. If she can overcome that will depend on how much effort she is willing to put into developing a better technique. As you may know, some students can't focus well enough, for whatever reason, to do much differently that they are. Some people have bent fingers from accidents and they manage OK. Like Gary says, you might just have to live with it.

However, I read in a Beethoven biography that he said that his fingers were splayed at the ends, making them wide at the tips and even pointing somewhat upward. He said this was from years of hard practice as a child without anyone correcting his hand/finger positions. He was angry about this. So, I try to remember that kids fingers are still growing and however they press their fingers over and over will affect the growth formation. Although it doesn't seem that your student will practice that much!

A couple of ideas:

To create awareness of finger strength and how muscles work, I use one finger, reach out and have the student connect a certain finger under mine, The we pull, fingers hooked one on top, one under. This locks the first knuckle into place and shows the student how to control their finger as we pull away from each other. It can get quite silly, too. I'm not sure I described that right. They can do this with their own fingers, one from each hand locking and pulling. Many times a student will playfully pull as hard as they can trying to "beat" me.

Another thing I do to remind a student of a task they need to remember for a finger is to use a marker (non-toxic) and make a colorful spot on the top of the finger, using their favorite color, of course!

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
LeaC #1774219 10/20/11 04:25 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by LeaC

To create awareness of finger strength and how muscles work, I use one finger, reach out and have the student connect a certain finger under mine, The we pull, fingers hooked one on top, one under. This locks the first knuckle into place and shows the student how to control their finger as we pull away from each other. It can get quite silly, too. I'm not sure I described that right. They can do this with their own fingers, one from each hand locking and pulling. Many times a student will playfully pull as hard as they can trying to "beat" me.

Fingers at 90 degrees? 180?

Another thing I do to remind a student of a task they need to remember for a finger is to use a marker (non-toxic) and make a colorful spot on the top of the finger, using their favorite color, of course!

How does this help?

Sorry to ask more questions, but I need the specifics to understand the point of the exercise.

Was at her house today and the set up is so woeful I'm not going to worry about the details until that is sorted.

L
L
It's great to ask questions! It's hard to explain the finger pulling. As you sit where you are, can you extend your hand toward an imaginary person in front of you? Reach out and make a hook shape of, say, the 2nd finger. Imagine or use your own other hand and 2nd finger, and grasp hold of the other persons outstretched 2nd finger. Lock fingers in hook like fashion. One finger will be facing down, the other facing up. When the fingers interlock, you can pull them a way from each other, creating resistance. I'm sorry, I don't think I can describe it any better. It may be one of those visual things.

The whole idea behind each of the two suggestions is to create an awareness of those fingers. Forgeting is the reason some folks can't manage to control their fingers. You put the spot on the finger, it becomes a running joke, and you have cleverly called constant attention to the finger without nagging. I start saying "Spot! Spot!" or something, and they focus. I've also tied strings around the offending finger, given it a "time out", letting the finger next to it scold the "bad finger", all kinds of silly stuff. You could even name the finger. That might remind her. "How's that sleepy 4th today?" Now I am making myself look foolish, so I hope this helps! (I can be pretty goofy.)

Create an awareness of the finger in question (or hand, or wrist) and it's much easier for the student to remember or focus on the problem. Give them a focal point instead of saying with words what you want relieves the stress of pressure on the student.

Since learning what can be very difficult for some people, it helps to use every trick you can to make this unobtrusive and fun, so the student (and you) don't get frustrated.

Last edited by LeaC; 10/20/11 05:46 PM.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
L
L
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
[quote=LeaC]
Was at her house today and the set up is so woeful I'm not going to worry about the details until that is sorted.

Sadly, children often can learn not to care either if much thought isn't given to their home practice space. frown

LeaC #1774304 10/20/11 06:58 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
thanks i think i've got the idea now.

LeaC #1774342 10/20/11 07:53 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LeaC

Sadly, children often can learn not to care either if much thought isn't given to their home practice space. frown

That is absolutely true. They pick up on the unspoken attitude that practicing is not important enough to think of the environment, to say nothing of the instrument. frown

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
update: Just off the phone to the mum who happens to be a friend. That does make it more difficult. I told her a piano stool is urgent and a piano is important. She says it's gone up the priority list.

I'll leave worrying about the finger till the basic posture is better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission