Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
68 registered (barbaram, Artur Gajewski, aimar, AZNpiano, 22 invisible), 1256 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1775819 - 10/23/11 05:53 PM hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds??
euge95 Offline

Loc: rome, italy
hi, i'm from italy(rome) i just bought a new piano(that is used).
before i had a rippen, and the sound was quite good, but the entire action and hammers and tuning(lasted 15 seconds) were dieing, reparing them costs more than buying a new, so i bought a new!
the seller seemed very nice to me, i played for a while(3 years) and i played a bit inside the rippen, and he sold to me a kawai kd-8e that was similar to K-8 and was built in 1986(checked). everything is near to new, when opened is really like new, it seemed that it was used always in silent, and the strings are all original and of a good color(like new).
now: after about a month the sound is becoming more powerful and bright, like the seller said, and i like it. the tunig is loosing a bit, but really a bit, isn't that noticeble, so first i want to understand the strange sounds.
i found that the lock of the piano(that i haven't the key...) vibrates when i play the Eb: do you prefer putting some paper, or something else?
the mirror near the piano vibrates to!
now apart from all these things that should be removed, when i play the very low D(the lowest) it seemes that toghether with the low D it plays also to highest D(like double sound, one sound after the other... don't know) i tried to move a bit the piano from the wall, and also tried to see if the big string vibrates in the lower part(between the bridge and the end) but nothing. it just sounds like two notes.
also i think that the d just above doesn't sound as loud as the nearer key. are these all voicing problems?

also i hear some sounds like clicks on some notes, when pressed very powerfully and in a particular way(fast, and powerfully)
also i'm trying to register something, i don't know the best place to put the microphone, and the best i did was that(i know i did it a bit slow, i can play better than this, but.. the recording...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2hWEpHpiM&feature=feedu

and yes, how do you clean all that dirt that keeps going on the piano?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1775835 - 10/23/11 06:33 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forums, euge! smile

The problem with the low D could be a voicing problem, but I can't be sure. The very high D is a harmonic that seems especially strong.

Does the click happen when the key goes down, hits the bottom, or when it comes up?

Edited by Rotom (10/23/11 06:34 PM)

#1775898 - 10/23/11 08:24 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sounds like you need a highly skilled piano technician to help you solve your problems.

Your playing on the YT video was good... however, there was no video, only your playing... :-)

Weclome to the PW forums!

Rick

#1775908 - 10/23/11 08:45 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Lei vive in Roma? Mia famiglia ha l'azienda vinicola di Galassini nella regione di Lazio!

I am sorry for my sloppy Italian.

Everything you have described here could be a normal part of the piano settling in after delivery. I suggest having a piano technician come by and service the piano. All of your complaints may disappear, except for the lock.

Piano locks can vibrate because they have metal parts that can make contact with other metal parts. I could fix the lock vibration permanently, but it could no longer be used if i used my "permanent fix".

Good luck! I think you have a nice piano.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#1776103 - 10/24/11 08:34 AM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
euge95 Offline

yes i think that a permanent fix will be good, because i haven't got the key to use it, so it's just there for beauty.
the seller will give me a free tuning when i need it, i think i will let the piano settle another month and then get a good tuning.
the click happens if you hear carefully, and when it touches the bottom when you play powerfully. i first tought it was a some feltros that was consumed, but when the seller opened it like he said, you won't see anything, because it was just completely straight and like new, nothing that touches and nothing that seemed different from the other keys.

#1776358 - 10/24/11 04:20 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
JohnSprung Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
I'd take the lock apart, put the parts in a little plastic bag, and keep them in the bench. The noise is gone, and you can always put it back if you change your mind.

The click will take some careful investigation, perhaps removing the action.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#1776659 - 10/25/11 12:11 AM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Most things you mentioned have been addressed. The mirror rattle is a sympathetic vibration. The problem is with the mirror, not the piano. Any sound source at that frequency will make the mirror buzz or rattle if it is loud enough.

The clicks in the action are most likely slightly loose screws. This is to be expected in a piano after a few years. its cure is a part of standard maintenance. In a piano so relatively new it is not likely to be anything more serious. Leave this for your tech when you have the piano tuned in a few weeks. The action parts are aligned as they are tightened. This takes some experience.

It's my guess you have black piano. They show the slightest dust. There are products that help you wipe off the dust without scratching the finish. Your piano dealer can recomend what is available in your area.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1811851 - 12/24/11 01:58 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
euge95 Offline

hi! after exploring a bit more the piano finallly i'm starting to understand some things....
there is a new problem on the lower A(the second from left). it makes a strange sound. i still havent asked the tuner to come for the first time, i'm planning to do it in the new year.
looking at the strings it seems that one of the two strings vibrates a lot more than the other. stopping by hand the string that vibrates more(the right one) the strange sound is gone. but stopping only the left string doesn't resolve the problem, i first tought that it was that the two strings are tuned bad, but after that i don't know what's the problem. the two strings are identical, and surely original.
the problem comes also when i play the third A(the next one) with pedal.
is that a tuning or a voicing problem or something else?

#1811872 - 12/24/11 02:50 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
Rickster Offline

Hi euge95, and welcome to the Piano World forums!

I'm afraid we would have to actually hear the issue you are refering to... several things could cause a problem such as you describe.

Happy Holidays!

Rick

#1811905 - 12/24/11 03:42 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: Rickster]
euge95 Offline

i just registred the sound.

the first note is the one that has the problem, is the second A from left.
the i played some other notes, the upper octave, then other As

the all the C(i think) and some D(i think)

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/1zC0O19k/strange_sound.html

#1812060 - 12/24/11 10:55 PM Re: hi! i'm new. help for resolving strange sounds?? [Re: euge95]
Rickster Offline

I'm not a trained pinao tech, but it sounds to me like some extra-fine tuning with a little strategic needling of the hammer would take care of your problem.

Suggest that to your tech/tuner next time he/she's there.

The tone of your piano sounded good, what few notes I heard.

Good luck!

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159390 Topics
2341368 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission