2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I beg to differ. Often music can be inspired by an image or idea or the other way arround. And as archetypal psychology has pointed out, some of the best art, whatever its form, is inspired by collective ideas in the culture (in this case likely the impending holiday, All Hallows Eve). The images and the music both seemed inspired to me, but together they lifted each other to the level of art.

Music, even classical music, doesn't have to be overly complex to be powerful and beautiful. I thought the simplicity and repetition of the music and imagery perfectly evoked the the macabre mood associated with childhood and our collective childhood expressed in horror films derived from early cinema and the silent film scores these films employed. The inclusion of the melodramatic reactions of the biggest star of that era to these images and the ghostly early 20th century figures dancing to a 19th century style waltz evoked the ghosts of our collective cultural past. I personally found it thrilling. Brilliant debut, Rossy!

Last edited by Starr Keys; 10/26/11 12:37 PM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Most excellent use of cardboardano and cardboardweathereffects.

The benchmark I use is this: if I heard this in a movie or a cartoon or a video game, would it be effective? Yes, it would be effective. That's a sign that it's a successful composition.

Could it be more creative--not in terms of the arrangement, the use of video and arrangement of sounds was tasteful and unique, along with the rhythmic texture--but in terms of the musical expression? I believe it should have had at least one surprise in there to break up the routine. As helpful as that is. OTOH, as an unassuming composition that prefers to play accompaniment to a lead motif (e.g. the video, or a more potent overarching thematic device like the macabre effect itself, rather than the music) it is perfectly balanced.

Over all, I endorse your composition, and recommend you seek Austrian Noblemen to entreat further commissions.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I've already commented and said how much I liked this eerie-haunting type of production; (especially around Halloween time!).

I think what trapper John may be eluding to by referring to the numerous sound effects etc is Rossys composition is a great first production/composition but doesn't really fit into a "solo piano" performance...(even though there was some piano being played).

This is not a good or bad thing but rather it may be more a compatibility issue with a 'solo piano' forum.

Of course, this just sets the stage for the next Can-O-Worms disscussion; that being solo piano performances vs audio/visual productions.

What I heard/viewed from Rossy was a very very good initial production that included piano playing. His 'production/composition' may or may not be viewed as a true 'solo' piano performance however.

Again, this is NOT a good or bad thing. It just depends on what we want on our 'piano' forum. Do we want ONLY solo piano submissions? How 'bout digital piano performances accompanied by digital strings, violins, echoing effects? How about full MTV type videos with piano playing along with dancers, special effects etc.

How far do we want to get from solo piano? Is this forum dedicated only to solo piano?

Yup, I've done it again. The Can-O-Worms has been opened and probably would be a discussion for another thread as not to highjack Rossys thread.

NOTE: Rostosky, this 'solo piano' vs 'production' question probably DOES belong in another thread but please know that I DO love full productions (I'm a HUGE Castlevania fan as I LOVE the haunting melodies) and I thought your initial performance was outstanding irregardless of what category it belongs in.

For the record, I also LOVE solo piano performances too.

B
B
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
Over all, I endorse your composition, and recommend you seek Austrian Noblemen to entreat further commissions.

Cake reference?

Nick
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Nick that was so witty! and apt, as A minor ( the waltz) is the relative minor of C.
To be honest Mrs R googled the cake reference!
The "Accidental" is because of the F#C#D# 's.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Indeed, I'm so thankful that fish didn't swim through the net.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey, that was very good, and well worth the time for a listen. Keep it up!

Gary
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That was really cool, R! thumb

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Wonderfully chilling! I love halloween and the season. Great way to set it off!
All waltzes are a tad repetitive, and yours seems just right to me. Heck, I don't want to dance to a minute waltz, I want to dance to a 5 minute waltz, ghostly or not, but particularly a ghostly one - they're much more fun! Great video and composition!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hawgdriver, there are a couple of us trying to puzzle this out, and we are probably failing, could you elucidate please?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

B
B
Originally Posted by Rostosky

Hawgdriver, there are a couple of us trying to puzzle this out, and we are probably failing, could you elucidate please?

It is indeed a Cake reference. He's glad that it didn't go unnoticed. Commissioning a Symphony in C, by Cake.

Nick
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks beechcraft, got it now! ( sometimes I am so slow.)

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Thanks beechcraft, got it now! ( sometimes I am so slow.)

Me too! Thanks for that clarification beechcraft!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice comp and vid. I thoroughly enjoyed it!!
btw, in case you didn't know, there is a composer's lounge forum, perhaps it's worth post a link to this thread over there?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission