2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, 6 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
I teach a 7 year old boy (or TRY to!) who is driving me crazy. His mum has agreed he has a difficult personality and told me I can "do whatever I usually do with children like that and she won't judge me harshly" but I actually have no idea what to do with him!

The family in general is hard work. The mum has 4 kids 9 and under including a newborn, so I think piano practice is the last thing on her mind. Consequently each week they may have practiced once but often haven't practiced at all. That is annoying enough, but then the 7 year old won't listen to me at all. Unlike a lot of kids who doubt there abilities, this boy thinks piano is "easy" and refuses to break things down into smaller parts to learn how to do them properly. There are always giant battles of the wills to get him to play one hand at a time, to play slowly, or to isolate a few bars. Instead he likes to ALWAYS start at the beginning at a speed he isn't capable of at all, get to the hard part, then go back to the start again. So say he has a problem with the third bar, he'll play the first 2 bars 10 times in a row and not even touch the 3rd bar. If I say "I think we need to look at the 3rd bar by itself to make sure you get it next time" he'll go "no no no I've got it now, I've got it" then plays the first 2 bars again another bunch of times.

Last week in a 45 minute lesson we only got to look at 2 level 2A Piano Adventures pieces, and they were 2 of the EASIER pieces in that book. That's how much time was wasted. And no theory or anything else. If he'd only do what I ask him to do we could get through 4 or 5 plus some theory.

One of the most frustrating things about teaching him is that he is VERY capable. He mentioned that he liked Ode to Joy and so I showed him a youtube clip of an orchestra playing Beethovens 9th and he loved it and the next week had a whole stack of facts lined up for me about Beethovens life including how old he was when he died and that he never completed his 10th symphony. He's got ability, just needs to let me show him how to apply it!

D
D
Do you put the piano fallboard down when he begins not listening to you? Do you use colorful analogies such as 'If a polar bear kept walking across thin ice and every time the ice broke and fell through ... and he kept on trying to walk across that ice, hoping one day the thin ice would support him, do you think it is smart for the polar bear to do so?"

He'll prob say no.

Then suggest to him that he is the polar bear and the thin ice is trying to play things too quickly hands together all the time.

Do you have his parents sit in on the lessons to help correct his behavior?

Do you need the student? You could dismiss him from your studio...

Do you totally cover up the beginning of the piece so he can't see the notes? If he tries to play from memory, use tip 1 above.

Do you play along with him to set the tempo?

Do you make a game out of it? "Ok, we're going to play a FUN GAME today!!! Wooooohooooo!!! Now, the game is called .... 'play like a turtle' , and if you do it correctly , you'll get a special treat at the end of the lesson.

He'll prob give you a funny look like ' what's she on ' ... but that's ok, kids like entertaining characters even if they're silly.

I mean, really, you gotta get creative here. There are tons of things you could try out that might work.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I've taught kids like this. You have my sympathy. They suck the joy out of teaching. It sounds to me like the parent won't be much help. He/she has probably grown weary of trying. I have a child in my children's choir who has Aspergers. His mom is like that - accepting of whatever I do with the child, but a bit at her wits end. She appreciates me asking, though, what works with him, what has worked in the past, what hasn't. So even if your student's mom doesn't intervene, she might be able to offer guidance that way.

I have an older student who seems to have some oppositional defiance, and she can be trying at times. I'm seeing progress, though. It's just slow.

After parenting 3 kids and 25 foster kids, I have little patience (or time) for attitude or blatant disobedience. I am just blunt. (Not loud or especially angry, I stay gentle.) What I say depends on the moment. It might be, "I'm not going to teach you if you aren't willing to learn from me." It might be, "I sense that you are used to being in charge, but that is not the way it works here." Or, "I am going to tell you something, and you are going to do it. You are not going to argue, disobey, or have any kind of discussion about it. Do you understand?" Sometimes, "I am the teacher, you are the kid. I teach, you listen." Sometimes it is, "Stop. Now." I would even be prepared to get up and walk out of the room, and tell them to come get me when they were ready to listen.

Once, I told a kid, "Ya know, I get paid the same amount whether we do anything or not. If you refuse to listen to me, how 'bout you just come and bang around on my piano, and I'll go do something else, and your mom can pay me for babysitting. Right now I am just wasting my time."

I am not mean or grumpy as a rule, so my firmness usually comes as a shock. But I have also had times when I can handle the situation with more humor. Sometimes I'll ask a kid to stand up next to me. Then I take them by the shoulders and turn them around two or three times. When I'm done spinning them, I tell them, "We had too many problems. It was time to reboot. Let's try again, and see if this time you can....." They love it.

I also have two stuffed animals on my piano (sitting behind the music stand, peering through) - intended for younger students, but my older students like them, too. One is a lion with very large eyes, and his name is Seymour (See More) and the other is a rabbit with very large ears, and his name is Heary Potter. When students aren't watching or listening, all I have to do is touch the offended animal.

I have kept a report card of their progress - including things like how much they seem to be practicing, how cooperative they are at lessons, whether or not they seem to be learning what I teach - in full view of them. I let them know that I will use this to make a decision over Christmas if I think they should continue with piano, or if I should talk to their mom about finding something else for them to do. They are very interested in what I write on their page.

These are just random ideas, but sometimes that's what it takes - a slightly different or new approach. I wish you luck.

piano teacher
D
D
My last-resort strategy for difficult younger students is timing pieces (not terrribly musical I know but it works in the short term!). The student's "goal" is to beat his/her best time for that piece - obviously you need to insist that it is played (sometimes remotely) in time and with reasonably good technique. It is amazing to see how students that despise repeating pieces will happily play the same piece over and over again if they perceive that they have a concrete goal to work towards...

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I agree with Lollipop. You have to be firm. A child with 4 young siblings often gets lost in the shuffle and may not feel loved so he acts out to get attention (squeaky wheel gets the grease). He may also live a very chaotic life, and children love routine. By giving him strict discipline and what may seem like harsh words are exactly what he needs though. Children actually like discipline (not abuse, mind you) and when they don't get it, they become a terror to everyone around them.

Tell your student when he walks in the door that his lessons are going to be very different from now on. As soon as he gets in, he is to walk to the piano and take his books out of his bag and place them on the piano, ready to play (or whatever routine you want him to do). Chances are he won't do it and will purposely try to disobey in some way. When he does this have him take his books and walk back to the front door and try again, and you KEEP doing this until he gets it right. Even if it takes the entire lesson. Then you move on to the next task, and treat it the same way. Until he does exactly what you say, you will not move on, and be perfectly fine with that. In a battle of wills, you won't accomplish much piano, but you will establish that you care about him and that he has your full attention thus there is no need for him to act out. But eventually once he can feel secure in this routine, he will begin to learn.

I wouldn't do much about the practicing part for now. Once you get him to follow your routine then you might be able to address issues at home. Most likely he will want to practice more to please you, though, since you are giving him one-on-one attention.

Be careful that if you use "threats" like "If you don't do this we're going to sit here in silence for the rest of the lesson" be sure you are prepared to carry out that threat.

Something else that has worked with some children is that I have 4 beanie babies that I place at the left side of the piano next to the music stand. For each task the student completes without having to be told twice, I move the stuffed animal over to the right side of the stand. If at the end of the lesson all 4 move to the right, he gets to choose a prize. This visual reminder of how they are doing so far is very helpful, and can be something you can point to if he's really not obeying you. "Look, our lesson is over halfway through, and you've only moved one stuffed animal! Now think carefully about how you want to respond to this next task."

It is very difficult and you probably won't like having to be so hard-nosed, but it will really help him. Once he starts being more obedient and respectful, then you can continue the routine but you won't have to enforce things as much.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
You really don't need to be so firm and cold.

A child like that probably doesn't get much attention or is treated badly at home. You can still be their friend, be playful with them and find fresh and exciting ways to keep their attention, like the beanie baby thing mentioned above. That is a fun and visual way to keep their attention.

I also like to do silly stuff where I purposefully ttaaaaallllllkkkk sooooooooooo slllooowwwwwllllyyyyyyy , the child is left bewildered because they aren't used to 'authority figures' acting like that. They want playfulness too - You can't zap them of all their personality by being too strict or cold.

I have never had a child that I haven't been able to work with in this way. I have never had to be strict or overly firm. Children will listen and follow if you find a way to capture their imagination and their attention.

D
D
Originally Posted by Lollipop
I've taught kids like this. You have my sympathy. They suck the joy out of teaching. It sounds to me like the parent won't be much help. He/she has probably grown weary of trying. I have a child in my children's choir who has Aspergers. His mom is like that - accepting of whatever I do with the child, but a bit at her wits end. She appreciates me asking, though, what works with him, what has worked in the past, what hasn't. So even if your student's mom doesn't intervene, she might be able to offer guidance that way.

I have an older student who seems to have some oppositional defiance, and she can be trying at times. I'm seeing progress, though. It's just slow.

After parenting 3 kids and 25 foster kids, I have little patience (or time) for attitude or blatant disobedience. I am just blunt. (Not loud or especially angry, I stay gentle.) What I say depends on the moment. It might be, "I'm not going to teach you if you aren't willing to learn from me." It might be, "I sense that you are used to being in charge, but that is not the way it works here." Or, "I am going to tell you something, and you are going to do it. You are not going to argue, disobey, or have any kind of discussion about it. Do you understand?" Sometimes, "I am the teacher, you are the kid. I teach, you listen." Sometimes it is, "Stop. Now." I would even be prepared to get up and walk out of the room, and tell them to come get me when they were ready to listen.

Once, I told a kid, "Ya know, I get paid the same amount whether we do anything or not. If you refuse to listen to me, how 'bout you just come and bang around on my piano, and I'll go do something else, and your mom can pay me for babysitting. Right now I am just wasting my time."

I am not mean or grumpy as a rule, so my firmness usually comes as a shock. But I have also had times when I can handle the situation with more humor. Sometimes I'll ask a kid to stand up next to me. Then I take them by the shoulders and turn them around two or three times. When I'm done spinning them, I tell them, "We had too many problems. It was time to reboot. Let's try again, and see if this time you can....." They love it.

I also have two stuffed animals on my piano (sitting behind the music stand, peering through) - intended for younger students, but my older students like them, too. One is a lion with very large eyes, and his name is Seymour (See More) and the other is a rabbit with very large ears, and his name is Heary Potter. When students aren't watching or listening, all I have to do is touch the offended animal.

I have kept a report card of their progress - including things like how much they seem to be practicing, how cooperative they are at lessons, whether or not they seem to be learning what I teach - in full view of them. I let them know that I will use this to make a decision over Christmas if I think they should continue with piano, or if I should talk to their mom about finding something else for them to do. They are very interested in what I write on their page.

These are just random ideas, but sometimes that's what it takes - a slightly different or new approach. I wish you luck.

This seems to be a pretty immature way of dealing with children - Getting up and leaving the room? Really?

Telling them you're the teacher and they are the kid? Talk about a surefire way to allow a child to continue thinking of themselves as a child and allowing them the mindset to think and act like a child.

Why not talk to them about being a young adult and explain to them in conversation with imagery, jokes, analogies - How his behavior makes you feel - And how you appreciate time with him and then move to something else to keep their attention? Children deserve respect too and I feel like most of the things you list in the way you speak are just disrespectful.

Do you realize how disrespectful that would be if someone did that to you? Said that to you? Why would you treat a child with such disrespect?

It sounds to me like you take their disobedience personally or you can't find the humor in small things like a child getting up from their bench who begins randomly talking about school. Sure it wastes time, but it's cute in a way - They're just being kids. Some of them need to release their energy and their personality in order to focus for the rest of the lesson.

You said it yourself - You get paid no matter what - Why take the disobedience so seriously? Why threaten them or speak down to them?

Also, bringing up money issues directly to them is just inappropriate in my opinion. They most likely don't understand what money is worth anyway - Children have everything paid for and they don't have to work for money. That seems like it's just a teacher being arrogant / on a power trip - or something else entirely.

Last edited by Dustin Sanders; 10/24/11 06:20 PM.
M
M
Obviously people have different approaches. But a child like this really needs and wants discipline. That doesn't mean you insult them or are mean. Discipline is you set rules for behavior and have consequences if they do not. Children feel safe when this is done properly, and they stop acting out. They end up loving lessons and piano. I'm not saying other ways don't work, but they don't work for me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Obviously people have different approaches. But a child like this really needs and wants discipline. That doesn't mean you insult them or are mean. Discipline is you set rules for behavior and have consequences if they do not. Children feel safe when this is done properly, and they stop acting out. They end up loving lessons and piano. I'm not saying other ways don't work, but they don't work for me.

Sure, but the OP didn't make this child out to be of the devil - He sounds reasonably normal to me - and the OP didn't seem to understand some of the easy and simple fixes to get a child to stop starting / stopping , playing too fast, etc.

I am also skeptical that over the top discipline makes a child 'feel safe'. Are there any studies you can point me too?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
We have different opinions about what constitutes over the top.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
D
D
Originally Posted by Minniemay
We have different opinions about what constitutes over the top.

Could you give me some that would constitute over the top?

Telling a child 'I'm the teacher - You're the kid. So you will listen to me and not argue.' is not over the top in your opinion?

I mean this isn't boot camp - It's a piano lesson.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dustin Sanders
Telling a child 'I'm the teacher - You're the kid. So you will listen to me and not argue.' is not over the top in your opinion?

I don't find anything wrong with that.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by Dustin Sanders

I don't find anything wrong with that.

Me neither, it's stating a fact and setting the tone for what the child can expect. It is not "over the top" in my opinion. Over the top would be cutting down the student with insults, angry tone of voice, sarcasm, and unreasonable demands. Telling the student what is expected of them and giving them a choice with consequences helps them learn that there are consequences in life. It is much better that they learn this now when the consequence is relatively painless compared to in adulthood where it could be life-changing (prison, burning bridges in your career, failed relationships, etc.).

You want resources? I just did a quick search and turned up this article: http://www.empoweringparents.com/How-to-Give-Kids-Consequences-That-Work.php#

Note where it says "Having structure and setting limits with kids teaches them that there are rewards and consequences in life."

Or this article, note the distinction they make between logical consequences and illogical ones.

http://www.whatsfordinner.net/artic...-Children-and-Teaching-Consequences.html

No one here has suggested the illogical sort. A teacher has every right to not be treated poorly by her student, and the student needs to understand that people deserve to be respected as a human being. She shouldn't have to allow the child to walk all over her and control the lesson.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
I was amazed and saddened by the responses to your challenge in this post. A more rigid and disciplined approach will not help but only contribute to the problem.

I think a 45 minute lesson is far too long for this student. Much better to have a short lesson and have the child say, "Is it over already?" Working through a lesson book in this goal oriented way isn't working either.

But you HAVE found something that does work and you should do more of it. You listened to Ode to Joy together and he loved it. He probably also loved that you listened with him. That was a wonderful teacher/student bonding time. And then on his own he came the next week with research he had done on Beethoven - truly a child who loves to learn and is interested. Tap into this!

Yes, instill a routine at lessons. Student comes in, sets up music then goes to nearby sofa to listen to music with teacher. Put his gathered information about composers into a notebook.

Then do some off the bench activities - flash cards or games on the floor.

Then go to the piano! Let him warm up with fun keyboard activities. Set parameters - he does something he likes at the keyboard then does something you like at the piano. Try letting him compose - play duets (Chopstix, Heart and Soul, Peter, Peter).

Kids love stickers. I have a Super Star Sticker Page in the front of their notebooks. I give stickers for whatever I want - not just for well played music. It's a great motivator for some young ones.

Just some ideas for you. Don't feel in a rush to have music reading and technique be the whole of the lesson. He's not ready for that. It's so important to have a good relationship with a child and be respectful and expect respect. If you don't enjoy working with 7 year olds than do find another teacher for this child. Music is a joy - teaching is a joy. If you turn this around and get through the first year, the next will be better and the one after that could be great.

Independent Piano Teacher
Member MTNA, NHMTA
D
D
Originally Posted by trublues
I was amazed and saddened by the responses to your challenge in this post. A more rigid and disciplined approach will not help but only contribute to the problem.

I think a 45 minute lesson is far too long for this student. Much better to have a short lesson and have the child say, "Is it over already?" Working through a lesson book in this goal oriented way isn't working either.

But you HAVE found something that does work and you should do more of it. You listened to Ode to Joy together and he loved it. He probably also loved that you listened with him. That was a wonderful teacher/student bonding time. And then on his own he came the next week with research he had done on Beethoven - truly a child who loves to learn and is interested. Tap into this!

Yes, instill a routine at lessons. Student comes in, sets up music then goes to nearby sofa to listen to music with teacher. Put his gathered information about composers into a notebook.

Then do some off the bench activities - flash cards or games on the floor.

Then go to the piano! Let him warm up with fun keyboard activities. Set parameters - he does something he likes at the keyboard then does something you like at the piano. Try letting him compose - play duets (Chopstix, Heart and Soul, Peter, Peter).

Kids love stickers. I have a Super Star Sticker Page in the front of their notebooks. I give stickers for whatever I want - not just for well played music. It's a great motivator for some young ones.

Just some ideas for you. Don't feel in a rush to have music reading and technique be the whole of the lesson. He's not ready for that. It's so important to have a good relationship with a child and be respectful and expect respect. If you don't enjoy working with 7 year olds than do find another teacher for this child. Music is a joy - teaching is a joy. If you turn this around and get through the first year, the next will be better and the one after that could be great.

Ahhhh.....so refreshing to read...

Except a I have young boy who every time I offer him a motorcycle or dragon sticker he throws his hands up and exclaims "Ughhh!! I'm 7 years old already, I'm too old for stickers!" (Or something close to that - I keep offering him stickers just because I think his reaction is funny as heck!) smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Just have to say it - my son was too old for stickers at 3.

A consequence is a result from an action. From the article:
For example, if your son sleeps late and doesn’t get up for school, the natural consequence is to go to bed earlier that night to get more sleep.

That is not a consequence. That is a decision the parent has made. If your son sleeps late and doesn't get up for school, then the consequence is that he has missed school, gets behind in his work, and has to struggle. The child's goal is to do well in school because he knows eventually it will lead to employment and the independence and self-sufficiency in life that this will bring. And yes, children can grasp that, and usually do.

So your child has slept in and missed school. What caused him to sleep in? How can you help him fix this problem, since he doesn't want to miss school? What causes can he find? The two of you may come up with the solution of going to bed earlier. Maybe a different waking up routine, or something pleasant to look forward to at breakfast time that will make it easier for him?

Otoh, what if the child wantsto miss school? Going to bed earlier will not fix the root of the problem. Why does he want to miss school? What problem lies behind that, and how do you fix it? Going to bed earlier is not a consequence or solution to wanting to miss school, and then missing it.

I
I
When I was a kid (between 7 and 13 years old), I hated practice all kind of excercises because they sound really boring, much of them don't have good rhythm or just was so simple and I never found a real reason to practice them and I leave the keyboard lessons.

I discovered that was needed practice some of the excercises when my skills for play some songs weren't enough blush however, that was when I decided play seriously, this was 2 years ago (actually I have 23 years old), but I found another way to practice it laugh I was so much lucky, because I begin with the appropriate songs, I always choosed songs with different excercises incluedes and here is the secret...!!! wink

I recovered the desire to play with some anime and video game songs grin you must try to ask to your student what kind of things would wish to play, ask him for his favorite videogame or his favorite disney movie or his favorite toon, All the children loves a song of this kind of things, then, show him a video where someone plays the song, or much better, play it for him and show him how it sounds in live, I bet he would be really impressed and he'll try to play it with the right speed wink

Finally he will discover that some parts need more practice and you can approuch the parts of the songs where you can find nice excercises to practice and it will sounds more familiar and he will love to play it, but you must be much smarter and approuch the parts of the songs he likes, I guess this could be function, because in my own experience it functioned with me wink

Believe me, for a child always will be more funny play things relationated with good memories that begins learning classic pieces unknown much of times for his ears smile

If he likes "The Legend Of Zelda" videogame I can recommend you this songs, much of them are short and are perfect for practice once and other and other time, and contains all kind of different excercises.

Have a nice practicing and try it, don't lose nothing laugh give me a feedback if this is useful for you, maybe one day I could try to give some lessons, but by now, I'll continue practicing my Yann Tiersen performances whome

Nice day!!!

-Ismael smile

i like your suggestions.. i always ask my students what their favorite songs are on the radio or whatever they call it these days,.

Do you have any the YOU suggest particularly? do you have sheet music from you tube or something? i like creating my own exercises in that it gives the student a break from sightreading that can be very helpful in orienting themselves to the keyboard.

it would be awesome to find a published book of video game sheet music masquerading as exercises.. for me at least.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
D
D
Originally Posted by apple*
i like your suggestions.. i always ask my students what their favorite songs are on the radio or whatever they call it these days,.

Do you have any the YOU suggest particularly? do you have sheet music from you tube or something? i like creating my own exercises in that it gives the student a break from sightreading that can be very helpful in orienting themselves to the keyboard.

it would be awesome to find a published book of video game sheet music masquerading as exercises.. for me at least.

err find the super mario brothers theme song, it beats most exercises in terms of difficulty .... jumping sixths and thirds the entire time , teaches syncopation and IT'S FAST AS heck!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission