2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amon Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys, I am about to purchase a Korg Kronos 88 Keyboard.

However, I was wondering on how the Korg Kronos compared to the Motif XF8? Especially the Piano and the Electric guitar patches (as I am not a fan of Lead sounds).

Also, is there any other synths I should consider before making a purchase.

Thanks!!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I played a Kronos 88 at Guitar Center recently and hated the RH3 action. I thought the action was loud and klakity and not very expressive to produce the beautiful sounds the Kronos is capable of. Really liked the AP's on the Kronos. Strings, Synths, and Brass were also quite good. Did not try any of the guitar patches. Not sure where I would rank them compared to the XF8. That would be rather subjective anyway. I would give the XF8 better grades on the action. I really disliked the Kronos 88's action. I think the 61 key Kronos has better keys as I briefly played around with that as it was on the same display.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 10/25/11 01:16 AM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I have the Kronos 88... and I would recommend the Roland Jupiter 80.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Amon Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui
I have the Kronos 88... and I would recommend the Roland Jupiter 80.

Are you happy with the Kronos? How is the Piano sound? If you could go back in time, would you still buy the Kronos or purchase a different synth?
laugh Thanks

The Roland Jupiter 80 looks good as well!!

Last edited by Amon; 10/25/11 08:03 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Well the Motif XF8 works and has a good action ...the Kronos isn't turning out so well (check the korg forums for the hundreds of pages of complaints about the note cut off and repitition issue) and the RH3 action is rubbish.
I have hardly used my Kronos as its unstable and in my opinion not a quality instrument. The Motif ...well its part of my on stage rig and is my "go to" board for nearly everything.

This is what a lot of Kronos 88 users are experiencing ....

Last edited by Dr Popper; 10/25/11 07:26 AM.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
R
R
Kronos has very good sounds overall and other features motif does not. Piano is also very good comparable finally to motif XS/XF pianos. I have motif but at this point I'd buy kronos without hesitation but 61 keys version. Way easier workflow, internal HD, touch screen etc etc. Kronos is more up to date technologically speaking.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I did a bunch of gigs this summer where my two boards were a Yamaha MOX8 and a Kronos 61. While I could have easily used the Kronos piano sound and triggered it from my weighted MOX, I didn't, because at least based on the main presets in the Kronos, I thought the MOX sounded better, more musical. I did adjust the EQ a bit, but that's all. The XF has the piano sound of the MOX as well as a supposedly better one which I haven't heard. OTOH, some people love the Kronos pianos, there is definitely some personal taste to this. (Personally, my favorite is the Nord!)

Originally Posted by Amon
Also, is there any other synths I should consider before making a purchase.

If you're planning to spend such a serious amount of money you should at least give the Nord Stage 2 a try. It's a different animal altogether from the two workstations but I'd take it over either any day of the week.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Kronos has excellent EPs and synth engines. Also has great workstation features. Pianos are very good but I much prefer the Roland SN pianos. The Kronos is weak in other sound categories that I would consider important for a workstation. The Kronos has marginal build quality IMO.

If you don't need weighted keys or workstation features I would highly recommend the Roland Jupiter 80. It has great sounds across the board and isn't a pure rompler like the Motif. It also has a very deep synth engine and is built like a tank. There really isn't anything like it on the market.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 10/25/11 10:19 AM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
Amon Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I have decided to go with the Korg Kronos. Unless, someone can convince me Yamaha Motif XF is the way to go. Roland Jupiter didn't feel like it was the type of sytnh I was after and Nord 2 is almost $1200 more than the Kronos.

As I just recently started playing the keyboard and currently own a Casio CTK 4000, I actually don't understand half the stuff you guys mentioned and don't really know how a good professional keyboard should sound and work.

However, hopefully the Korg Kronos won't let me down!

Thanks

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Although it's a great board, I don't think a Jupiter 80 makes any sense at all in this comparison because it doesn't have a weighted action. Unless maybe you were also going to have a second, weighted board to MIDI to it. Piano is your primary use, yes?

All you've asked about is acoustic piano and electric guitar patches. Is there any other sound or functionality you need?

The Yamaha S90XS gives you most of the same sounds as the Motif XF, including the same pianos and same guitars (though it's possible that the XF may have some additional guitars, I'm not sure). If you don't need to work with your own samples and don't need a built-in sequencer, that would save you over a thousand dollars. (For less money than the S90XS, there is the S70XS and even the MOX8, but there are some trade-offs.)

If you prefer the piano sounds of the Kronos to the Yamaha, you'd have to stick with the Kronos, as they don't have that available in any lower priced board.

If you want to check out the Nord, it doesn't have to be $1200 more than the Kronos. You can get the same piano sound as the Nord Stage 2 in the Nord Piano for $1100 *less* than the Kronos, which then gives you $1100 to put toward some other board which might be able to give you the electric guitar and whatever other functionality you might be looking for. You could almost get a Yamaha MOX6 for that, which has most of the sounds of the Motif XF in it. (For less money than the Nord Piano, you could even look at the Nord Electro 3HP, though there are some trade-offs.)

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

It's a matter of when not if ...but you can't help the helpless

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
R
R

it will not, great modern board. Remember to visit excellent kronos support forum at:
karma-lab

Enjoy.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
.but you can't help the helpless

It's funny, we still knock ourselves out trying though. That's why I don't give advice as often these days to someone I don't know.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
OT, apologies....

Hey Dave, how's that NP88 working out for you?

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Hey VP- I haven't used it on a gig yet but this weekend I might. It does seem to play better with the long release feature and the new Yamaha sample is pretty good. I still can't say I'm overly thrilled with it and will keep it long term. The little time I have played it at home, when I go back to the CP5, the Yamaha seems more like a real piano and just more fun to play. The only reason I did get the NP was from a portability standpoint. The CP5 is still a superior DP, with the exception of the EPs, to my ears and fingers.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I would highly advise you to take a look at the numerous threads reporting problems over at the Korg forum.

As a Kronos owner I can tell you that I regret purchasing the weighted Kronos. The action is probably the poorest on the market and overall construction is in line with a sub $1k product, not a product costing almost $4k.

It does have some great sounds and functionality but I would at least wait until they release the OS update to see if it fixes some of the reported issues.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 10/26/11 12:13 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui
I would highly advise you to take a look at the numerous threads reporting problems over at the Korg forum.

As a Kronos owner I can tell you that I regret purchasing the weighted Kronos. The action is probably the poorest on the market and overall construction is in line with a sub $1k product, not a product costing almost $4k.

It does have some great sounds and functionality but I would at least wait until they release the OS update to see if it fixes some of the reported issues.

I think there's a fair chance that the next batch of Kronos keyboards will have had a revision (both in software and hardware). It might be a great buy in a year from now. I haven't written it off yet, but I'm going to wait and see how things progress. Not much help for people shopping or owning now...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I love the idea of the Kronos, however there are often teething problems with such 'breakthrough' products that can unfortunately hamper its success. I'm hopeful that the Korg engineers will resolve any software issues in the near future, and use the experience gained from the Kronos development to deliver a killer SV-2.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Amon Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Although it's a great board, I don't think a Jupiter 80 makes any sense at all in this comparison because it doesn't have a weighted action. Unless maybe you were also going to have a second, weighted board to MIDI to it. Piano is your primary use, yes?

All you've asked about is acoustic piano and electric guitar patches. Is there any other sound or functionality you need?

The Yamaha S90XS gives you most of the same sounds as the Motif XF, including the same pianos and same guitars (though it's possible that the XF may have some additional guitars, I'm not sure). If you don't need to work with your own samples and don't need a built-in sequencer, that would save you over a thousand dollars. (For less money than the S90XS, there is the S70XS and even the MOX8, but there are some trade-offs.)

If you prefer the piano sounds of the Kronos to the Yamaha, you'd have to stick with the Kronos, as they don't have that available in any lower priced board.

If you want to check out the Nord, it doesn't have to be $1200 more than the Kronos. You can get the same piano sound as the Nord Stage 2 in the Nord Piano for $1100 *less* than the Kronos, which then gives you $1100 to put toward some other board which might be able to give you the electric guitar and whatever other functionality you might be looking for. You could almost get a Yamaha MOX6 for that, which has most of the sounds of the Motif XF in it. (For less money than the Nord Piano, you could even look at the Nord Electro 3HP, though there are some trade-offs.)

Hey, thanks for this post. It was very helpful. Yamaha S90XS looks like a good keyboard.

Will re-evaluate my decision on the Kronos after reading some posts here. It looked like a mighty fine keyboard though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission