Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1774369 - 10/20/11 09:10 PM Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions
Jaiburn Offline

So I have been given the books Library of Easy Piano Classics vol 1 & 2.

I don't really know much about classical music/where to start, but I'd like some nice songs to compliment my method book.
So some suggestions on the normal songs that beginners learn when starting classical piano would be great.

Just to give you an idea of my level I'm about 1/3 way through Alfred's Basic Adult book 2.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1774377 - 10/20/11 09:23 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Although I don't have that book I have a couple of comments on it that might help.

• The pieces in that book are not the original versions. In some cases they are simplified; in other cases they are arrangements of songs or pieces not originally for piano. I don't say that to denigrate them, just to point that out so you don't get confused later.
  • The pieces aren't that easy (at least looking at the pages available on the Amazon preview). You will have to work at them quite hard (but that's OK, that's part of learning) so just pick ones you like!

If you find them too difficult or are more interested in playing simpler classical pieces, in their original form, you might want a different anthology.

Kawai K3

#1774424 - 10/20/11 11:40 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Look for Keith Snell's Piano Repertoire series. Plenty of choices starting at very easy.

Joy of First Classics by Denes Agay is very good, IMHO.

Daniel Gootlieb Turk has a collection of pieces for beginners.

I never looked at them, but Bartok's Mikrokosmos is for beginners.

After you get a few fundamentals down, then you should have a go at the Notebokk for Anna Magdalena Bach.

#1774432 - 10/21/11 12:04 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

classical music is the way to go but those easy pieces aren't the real thing. i would start with some bach minuet in g maybe and go from there. theres alota stuff out there.

#1774869 - 10/21/11 08:38 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Jaiburn Offline

I'm aware these are not original pieces, and some are easier than others, that's why I've come here for suggestions on what to pick (also I'm not familiar with classical music, trying to branch out from the pop that I like for a bit of variety). I've been given these as a gift, so I figure I might as well use them, so recommendation on beginner songs would still be appreciated.

I have however been thinking about getting a graded classic book to get me started.
The 2 I'm looking at are:
Masterwork Classics (I understand these are pretty similar to the Keith Snell series, and are available locally in Australia)
The Joy of First Piano Classics

Any recommendations on which one would be better?

#1774905 - 10/21/11 10:30 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I have the Masterwork Classics, and I really like it. It get's your hands working together, and the simple pieces have a nice sound to them.

The Joy of First Piano Classics would probably be good also - but...I have one of the "Joy of...." books by Denes Agay and although I like the pieces, the binding of the book isn't very good and eventually the pages start coming loose. Just something to think about if that will bother you.

joe84's suggestion of Minuet in G is a good one too. It's rated a little higher than the pieces in the first Masterwork Classics or Snell books, but I'm working on it now and it isn't that bad.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1774963 - 10/22/11 01:26 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: mom3gram]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Go for the really good stuff. All of Bachs compositions can be downloaded for free on the Net in PDF. No need to buy books. Starting with the G major or G minor menuet could be a good idea. There are lots of good learning stuff on both on Youtube. The Inventions are a bit more advanced, but should be possible on your level.

#1775192 - 10/22/11 02:46 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
A Rebours Offline

Originally Posted By: Jaiburn

I have however been thinking about getting a graded classic book to get me started.

The 2 I'm looking at are:
Masterwork Classics (I understand these are pretty similar to the Keith Snell series, and are available locally in Australia)

Any recommendations on which one would be better?

Either Magrath's Masterwork Classics or Snell would be fine. I've worked out of both. Magrath will tell you what technical skill you will be learning with each piece. If you can get the Practice and Performance books that go with Magrath (up to level 6, I think) you will get an in-depth analysis and guidance on how to practice each piece in the repertoire book. The other nice thing about Magrath is that each of her books comes with a CD so you can hear the pieces played. I think the Magrath series is a better value since you get the CD with it.

Snell does have CDs for each level but you have to buy them separately and here in the US they cost around $13-$14 each.

AR

#1775916 - 10/23/11 08:56 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Jaiburn Offline

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Ok so I ended up buying the Masterwork Classics books level 1-2 and 3, mainly because they come with the CDs, have less books, and are available locally. I know a lot of these pieces are probably available online for free, but I like the idea of a graded book that goes through pieces from easy to hard.

The practice and performance books aren't available here, so I'd have to order them from the US if I wanted them (which involves time + shipping costs). Are they worth it, what does guidance on how to practice each piece actually mean?

Also how did people go about using this book. Did you polish all the pieces, or only some? Any pieces you'd particularly recommend to polish?

#1775934 - 10/23/11 10:07 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
The practice and performance books are somewhat helpful (to me), but they are probably not helpful enough to justify paying overseas postage on.

As for which pieces to polish, etc. There is a thread on here somewhere called "After Alfred 1 am I ready for a repertoire book?" in which one of the teachers from the teacher forum discusses the early repertoire books, including Masterwork Classics. He discusses throw-away pieces (learn quickly and discard), and polishing pieces, and which ones are worth polishing. It's a worthwhile thread to read if you can find it.

I have learned about half of the ones in Book 1-2, but I don't think I have "polished" any of them completely. As I learn a new one, I review all the previous ones.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1775944 - 10/23/11 10:26 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: mom3gram]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: mom3gram
As for which pieces to polish, etc. There is a thread on here somewhere called "After Alfred 1 am I ready for a repertoire book?" in which one of the teachers from the teacher forum discusses the early repertoire books, including Masterwork Classics. He discusses throw-away pieces (learn quickly and discard), and polishing pieces, and which ones are worth polishing. It's a worthwhile thread to read if you can find it.

After Alfred 1 ...

Kawai K3

#1775970 - 10/23/11 11:21 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Jaiburn Offline

Thanks for that, lots of interesting points there. Unfortunately the teacher only seems to go through the suggested pieces for the snell book frown

#1776008 - 10/24/11 01:11 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Two more useful resources.

Burgmuller Op. 100

G Major Theory

#1776009 - 10/24/11 01:22 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
SimplyAmy Offline

I started piano in February, as a brand new adult beginner (age 49!). I'm learning Bach's Prelude in C from "Well Tempered Clavier." It is such a lovely piece. I've got it all memorized through the arpeggio portion, working to get the last bit smoothed out before working on the ending.

I downloaded the music from "flutetunes.com" (I confess: I can only read treble clef), and also got an assist from webpianoteacher.com. I do take real piano lessons weekly also with a teacher who has an MA in piano pedagogy and teaches using the "simply music" method. She's been great in helping me learn this piece--generally, she works me through several measures, and I work on those all week along with other stuff. I downloaded the flute score and looked at webpianoteacher.com because I want more before the next lesson. This piece isn't part of the Simply Music curriculum at this point (I'm on "Level 4")--I just wanted to play it after seeing the movie "Baghdad Cafe". I highly recommend this piece!!!

Amy

#1776044 - 10/24/11 04:46 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Hey Amy, snap! I've also been learning the Prelude in C this summer. Isn't it lovely?

A good follow-on for the Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846) is Bach's Prelude for Lute (BWV 999), which can be found online at the usual free sheet music websites and in several Bach 'little prelude' collections.

It has a similar structure to the Prelude in C (arpeggiated chords) which means you don't have to think about two things (left hand and right hand) at *exactly* the same moment. I think this makes a good stepping stone to the idea of RH and LH doing different things at exactly the same moment. (It certainly helped me, as I'd forgotten entirely how to read and interpret the bass clef notes, and has to re-learn this summer.) It's slightly more difficult than the Prelude in C, but I think only slightly: the key is C minor, but once you've got the few black notes you need to play, into your head/hands, that's it. (I memorised this piece as I learned it, so didn't have to keep referring back to the sheet music.)

And the piece is really very beautiful: invariably others say to me 'what is that piece? / I'm going to learn that next' when they hear it. And it's not so well-known as some others, so it's then something you have that's a little special in your repertoire.

And as with so much of Bach's music, it sounds good at a whole range of speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXfFMlxV53M&feature=related

#1776126 - 10/24/11 09:26 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
thurisaz Offline

Loc: Finland
I picked up the Prelude for Lute (BWV 999) on Eglantine's suggestion and have been thoroughly enjoying it; it's definitely a good follow-up to BWV 846 and I heartily recommend it. I've sight-read through it (slowly at the piano) a couple of times and have also been studying the score away from the piano. I've actually managed to resist listening to any recordings so far; for once, I would like to play through it completely myself before knowing what it's "supposed" to sound like or being influenced by someone else.

It's also been enjoyable to try to analyze the score and understand it. I 've annotated the arpeggiated chord in each bar, so I could see the progression to the key change (in bar 11) quite nicely. I can't figure out whether the new key is G major or minor, though; it seems to have characteristics of both (ie, both F# and Bb,Eb). I like the idea of changing into an ambiguous kind of G, but I suspect that I'm missing something and that's not actually the case. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?

Edited by thurisaz (10/24/11 09:27 AM)

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Working on: Alfred's Adult Piano Level 2, Satie Gymnopedie N. 1

#1776316 - 10/24/11 03:21 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Eglantine]
SimplyAmy Offline

Thank you! That is lovely! Methinks it will be next on my list!

#1776485 - 10/24/11 07:21 PM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: thurisaz]
PhilzPiano Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: thurisaz
I picked up the Prelude for Lute (BWV 999) on Eglantine's suggestion and have been thoroughly enjoying it;

I love this piece too. It featured in the movie The French Lieutenant's Woman

French Lieutenant's Woman

#1776738 - 10/25/11 04:50 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: thurisaz]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: thurisaz

It's also been enjoyable to try to analyze the score and understand it. I 've annotated the arpeggiated chord in each bar, so I could see the progression to the key change (in bar 11) quite nicely. I can't figure out whether the new key is G major or minor, though; it seems to have characteristics of both (ie, both F# and Bb,Eb). I like the idea of changing into an ambiguous kind of G, but I suspect that I'm missing something and that's not actually the case. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?

Looks like G minor to me: Bb, Eb, the A has changed from flat to natural throughout, plus there's the accidental F# throughout. Until bar 23...

The piece ends in G major though. And there's perhaps some D minor around bars 23-25??

Edited by Eglantine (10/25/11 05:45 AM)
Edit Reason: Added info

#1776776 - 10/25/11 08:42 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Eglantine]
thurisaz Offline

Originally Posted By: Eglantine

Looks like G minor to me: Bb, Eb, the A has changed from flat to natural throughout, plus there's the accidental F# throughout. Until bar 23...

But G minor shouldn't have an F#, which is why I'm confused. G minor is Bb, Eb; G major is F#. This piece has elements of both, even in the same bar (eg, bar 11). Is there a reason to call this G minor (with F# accidentals) rather than G major (with Bb,Eb accidentals)? That's the ambiguity that confuses me.

Originally Posted By: Eglantine

The piece ends in G major though. And there's perhaps some D minor around bars 23-25??

I agree that the piece ends in G major; the second to last measure and the final chord are both G major. The previous measures, though, have the same kind of ambiguity I mentioned above -- measures 40-41 both have and Eb and an F# in them. As I said, I kind of like the idea of this "ambivalent/mixed" key which finally resolves to G major, but I wonder if I'm not wrong somehow.

I did notice the change to D in bars 23-25, but I have the same trouble here as above. The C# makes it look like D major while the Bb (and E natural) would make it D minor. I didn't want to mention it in my last post because I thought it would be better to sort out one thing at a time.

#1776815 - 10/25/11 10:14 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
thurisaz Offline

After a bit of digging around, I can answer my own question: the change is to the harmonic minor of G, not the natural minor. The natural minor has a flattened 3rd, 6th and 7th degree, giving Bb & Eb in the key of G; the harmonic minor is the same, but with a raised 7th degree (so Bb, Eb & F# in G). One webpage I found pointed out that the raised 7th can function as a leading tone (which is where the similarity with the major scale comes in). Also, according to wikipedia:

Quote:

[M]inor mode compositions of the common practice period frequently raise the seventh scale degree by a semitone to strengthen the cadences, and in conjunction also raise the sixth scale degree by a semitone to avoid the awkward interval of an augmented second. This is particularly true of vocal music (Jones 1974, 29).

I'm glad to have figured that out -- I feel like I learned something in the process. It has also reminded me that I want to spend some time playing a few natural, harmonic and melodic minor scales and listening with some focus. I'd like to get a feeling for the difference between them.

Edited by thurisaz (10/25/11 10:14 AM)

#1776832 - 10/25/11 10:51 AM Re: Beginner Classical Piano Pieces Suggestions [Re: Jaiburn]
Eglantine Offline

Yup, G minor harmonic.
(I have to confess I rarely look at melodic or natural.)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (antony, Adam Coleman, accordeur, 28 invisible), 1408 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250038 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Yesterday at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission