2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I am sure that everyone appreciates that a violinist or a clarinetist or any instrumentalist who plays a single-note instrument has a much easier time of sight reading than those of us who play polyphonic instruments, and, yes, we appreciate that they have other challenges we don't have.

It is also true, to some degree, that some of those instrumentalists and some singers who do not play the piano have no idea of the complexities involved in playing the piano and/or in sight reading a score. I am sure we all know a/an (put the instrument in here) and a vocalist or two who will hand you a piece, will have no idea of its complexities or difficulties, and will expect you to read it as easily as they sight read their single line.

A violinist once handed me the Franck Sonata to which I had never seen the score and suggested we play the first movement; "It's really easy!" Well, true, it's not as difficult as many another sonata for violin and piano, but "really easy"?

That said, "sight reading" and (some) "singers" are words that often should not be used in the same sentence!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I am sure we all know (put the instrument in here) and vocalists who will hand you a piece, will have no idea of its complexities or difficulties, and will expect you to read it as easily as they sight read it. That said, sight reading and some singers are words that often cannot be used in the same sentence!

Regards,

Truth, truth, truth. Ughhhhh... But I'm taking voice lessons now, so I'll eventually be on both ends of the spectrum, hehe.

Online Content
Even worse some intelligent people I know think reading music is like reading a book. Once you know the notes you just read every piece...no practicing ever required.

M
M
Originally Posted by leemax
I play a number of instruments and I'm a really good sight-reader on the ones that are not polyphonic. The polyphonic ones (piano and classical guitar) for some reason give me a lot of problems. I think it's just something in the way my brain works that makes it harder for me to read multiple notes at once. A pattern-recognition thing or something. I don't know. I started on piano lessons when I was about 4 or 5, and trumpet when I was probably 10, so I had much more polyphonic reading "practice", and I know many techniques of improving sight reading, but there is still just something that doesn't "click" for me. My dad was a pianist and a really good sight-reader. I tried to play hymns and such, and even familiar ones with really easy chord progressions were not easy to read. There is just something different about the processing of polyphonic and monophonic lines for me. Maybe others are the same.

Well, it's not really that complicated to understand. On piano you play sometimes 4-5 times as many notes as on a melodic instrument, and often at the same time. Of course that makes the reading harder to do.

Hymns aren't necessarily the best to sightread unless you want to get good at playing hymns. I would start with easier music if they're giving you a hard time. Like early intermediate pieces (Minuets and the like).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A violinist once handed me the Franck Sonata to which I had never seen the score and suggested we play the first movement; "It's really easy!" Well, true, it's not as difficult as many another sonata for violin and piano, but "really easy"?

Actually, the Franck is considered one of the more difficult piano-violin sonatas! I've noticed that for pretty much all collaborative piano auditions, they want to hear Franck and Beethoven 7. Having played both, I can see why... (definitely two of my favourites, and to be honest I didn't think the Franck was anywhere close to the Beethoven in difficulty)

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Everybody can improve through practice and hard work, but eventually one will not grow beyond his or her own limiting factors. It is crazy to think that everybody will be able to play, say, ALL chopin etudes well if he or she practices very hard.

No disagreement there. I've sight-read through all of the Chopin etudes (only seriously studied 3 or 4 of them) and came to the depressing conclusion that many of them I would never get up to speed, not to mention accurate.

I agree, reading Chopin Etudes is not difficult. But playing up to tempo and well is totally different game! Damm those Chopin etudes.....hehehehehe

The reason you can't play them to tempo is because you lack the technique to do so. It's as simple as that. There is no great mystery to tackling and conquering the Chopin etudes or any other work. You either possess the proper technique or you don't. Thus, the "limiting factor" here is technique, or rather the lack thereof.

Many people in this forum claim that they can play Chopin Etudes well. But once they posted their playing, most of them are just a laughing matter.

W
W
As someone who plays the cello, and now is learning to play the piano, the polyphonic aspect of the piano is a big jump from the cello.

As someone mentioned above, you have other issues with other instruments (with the cello, it is tone and intonation - both take a long time to get good at for most people), but with the piano I am struggling to read two staffs with multiple notes at the same time. It is a big challenge, and I hope I get better at it! After only a couple of months of learning piano, though, I hope it is something I can learn - I am giving myself two years before trying to judge whether I will get there.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I am sure that everyone appreciates that a violinist or a clarinetist or any instrumentalist who plays a single-note instrument has a much easier time of sight reading than those of us who play polyphonic instruments, and, yes, we appreciate that they have other challenges we don't have.

Although the piano is my primary instrument by far, I also played several single-line instruments when I was younger. One of the interesting difficulties about sight-reading music for those instruments was that the lack of context, particularly harmonic context, adds a kind of problem that pianists usually don't have. It is much harder to understand the music you are playing and where it's going if you don't have the whole of it in front of you, but have just one line. Which isn't to say that it's more difficult than piano music to sight read, but just that it has some odd difficulties that pianists don't usually think about.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by cardguy
Edit: Just to add, none of this is to say of course that people can't become good sight readers with enough effort. I'm just saying that natural ability is a factor, especially for those who read superbly.
I think talent is part of the equation in doing anything well unless the "anything" is something as simple as doing your laundry or boiling an egg.

Agreed. It does seem like I'm belaboring the obvious. And yet Im getting the feeling that talent is being underplayed by some...the ethos seeming to be, hard work will get you there every time. T'aint so in my opinion. I've always been a crappy sight reader. I always will be. The best I can hope for is to gradually become a bit less crappy with lots of hard work.

Last edited by cardguy; 10/25/11 09:34 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Although the piano is my primary instrument by far, I also played several single-line instruments when I was younger. One of the interesting difficulties about sight-reading music for those instruments was that the lack of context, particularly harmonic context, adds a kind of problem that pianists usually don't have. It is much harder to understand the music you are playing and where it's going if you don't have the whole of it in front of you, but have just one line. Which isn't to say that it's more difficult than piano music to sight read, but just that it has some odd difficulties that pianists don't usually think about.

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. I showed the violinist I'm playing with some harmonic analysis - she had 3 Cs over three different chords I had, all with different functions. Once we established that, the phrase sounded radically different and better.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I actually would like to pick up a single melodic-line instrument just to see how much easier sightreading would prove to be.

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
My cello playing wife is always wanting me to accompany her on the piano, then gets impatient while I struggle to keep up with music I've never seen before.

UNFAIR!!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The key to becoming an excellent sight-reader? Get your masters at Indiana University, where all piano majors are required to accompany every conceivable instrumental and vocal piece....and have about thirty minutes to learn it...

M
M
sight reading, like anything else can be practiced and improved. Some people have more innate talent but we known that deliberate practice trumps innate talent that is not nurtured.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MadForBrad
sight reading, like anything else can be practiced and improved.

I hope so.. I really hope so frown

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by wr

That's a very relevant and important observation!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
The posters who are emphasizing that other instrumentalists usually have only one line to read seem to be ignoring the fact that those instrumentalists have to create the sound by much more complicated means than pressing a key. Sight reading also included playing the notes.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/27/11 06:36 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The posters who are emphasizing that other instrumentalists usually have only one line to read seem to be ignoring the fact that those instrumentalists have to create the sound by much more complicated means than pressing a key. Sight reading also included playing the notes.

Yes, that is a great observation. But as someone who has played a couple other single-note instruments (saxophone and violin when I was younger, plus I sing) it is overall still easier for a single-line instrument.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Drunk3nFist
I actually would like to pick up a single melodic-line instrument just to see how much easier sightreading would prove to be.

Why wait? Play melody lines with your RH. Instant single-line sight-reading.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
E
E
My sight reading is good when I know the piece !

It's especially poor if the timing is highly synchopated.

For me it is very music dependent.

It's poor if the notes run on a scale that's not based on the major or minor scale. Eg I've been "reading" and practising Listz's Hungarian Rhapsody 2 for 8 months now - and I don't think I've figured out more than 70% of the notes.

On the other hand, my children are "amazed" I can pick up their Grade 6 and below pieces and play it reasonably first time out.

Still haven't figured out how to play the theme from Will and Grace - damm. Theme from Chariots of Fire - got it first time out!

Twisting by the Pool (Dire Straits) still can't figure it out. Lady Marmalade - ok!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission