2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B

Just to note it... instead of underlines (which I agree can be confused with spaces so aren't ideal) one can use dashes, as in abf-recitals.pianoworld.com. That doesn't solve the "hard to type" problem, though.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
+1 to the poster who suggested recitals.pianoworld.com and maybe a simple splash page or navigation scheme that can direct the user to the various recitals in PW.

This is easier to remember than the abfrecitals subdomain name, and thinking long-term, it saves Frank the trouble of adding additional related subdomains, if say, the other recital sub-communities on PW, e.g., those in Pianist's Corner, request a similar space. Moreover, before other recitals are added, recitals.pw.com could simply redirect or point to the ABF Recitals, without an intermediary splash page.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
ab-frecitals, then smile

Sigh. Sometimes my jokes are just white noise smirk

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Just for clarity, I was not suggesting to change this forum's name. I was just proposing a name for the host to store the recital files.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I think Monica summed things up very nicely.
I'd like to thank LaValse too for all the past work and kindess in hosting us - and in advance for what is to come!
Again, if I can be of any help, I'm happy to volonteer !

I think it doesn't matter too much what the new location is called in terms of its link name because all we're ever going to do is go to it from within the forums (I think?)....

If the people in the Pianist corner want to organize their own recitals, ...um, let them. I can't see that it would be a good idea to mix performers from this forum with performers from that forum - especially when it comes to feedback!

I agree that quarterly recitals are about as much as many of us can handle, those who are able and willing to do more have the piano bar.

I found this forum searching for Adult beginner and I imagine many others did too - not just CebuKid smile
Even though it might be a bit of a misnomer and we often have these discussions, I have no problem with it staying as it is. I've developed an affection for it - and think of Farm Girl - would she have to change her name again?

As for splitting the recitals into "beginner" and "better than beginner" whatever that might be - I honestly don't see that there is a need for that.
In real recitals you have people of different levels playing- why not here?
I know I was one of the ones who went into a mild state of shock listening to the performances in the first recital I ever participated in ---and I said "Beginers? - who are you trying to kid!?" But in retrospect, I really love the fact that there are a few (one or two anyway) who have less playing time than I do, many who are in a reasonably close vicinity but seem to have more talent!- and lots who are significantly more expert /talented at the keyboard. I hear all kinds of music I would never otherwise encounter, and it is really inspirational to think -wow....this person has been playing for 5-6 years.... I might be able to manage it in the future too. This one has been playing for 10+ years...I wonder what I'll be able to do in 10 year... and so on..

I guess we are all creatures of habit, resistant to change --- especially once we've found such a marvellous comfort zone!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.

So, yeah, I'm prejudiced against underlines, but I like to think it's a rational prejudice. laugh

Aren't they all? But, so much for affirmative action and equal opportunity for underlines...or is it underscores?

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I vote for recitals.pianoworld.com

"Should we change the name of this forum?"
"Should the recitals continue to be quarterly?"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by Serge88; 10/25/11 02:33 PM. Reason: Censorship

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Whelp, looks like the whole "adult" + "beginer" semantics debate ends up going nowhere once again....for about the 4th time!

Who keeps constantly bringing this up anyway??

Actually, while all the replies are great, Sams seems to sum it up best.

Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

Anyway, if the main topic is the innacurate ABF description (for reasons mentioned above), then all we would have to do is fix the title and we're set. No need to break anyone up. We all stay and perform together in the "amateur" group or some decription of that nature. True 'beginers' can learn and listen to the more seasoned amateurs (various levels of everything other than pro) and the more seasoned players can listen and give suggestions and tips to the beginers. It's a positive enviroment in which everyone wins.

Remember the ABF Survey?

Our experience is all over the place, but few of us are real beginners anymore.

How about: Amateur Piano Forum - I think one thing most of us have in common is that we don't make our living from music. I don't mean to exclude those teachers and professionals that post helpful tips - they are welcome here.

Of course, since we are so diverse, I doubt that we could ever reach a consensus on a name change...

Sam

If you think about it, most, if not all of us are not true 'beginers' anymore but it really doesn't matter as no matter what we call ourselves we will all stay together as one big (disfunctional?) happy family!

I can't promise that I won't bring up the inclusion of "amateur" in the title (as it is a much more accurate description of who we are) but as others have mentioned, people ARE resisant to change and even if we DO change the forum title, it still really doesn't change anything. We're still the same close knit group we've always been.

Group hug but no hanky panky. Okay well maybe just a little!

Note: Monica, the recital title name really is not that important as most of us are just going to click on the link to get there. As long as the title is relatively simple and works with Franks server format then I say just make an executive decision, pick something and implement it. For the most part we trust you; just not with cash! lol.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You're right, hunky, so I'm going to engage in the time-honored method of passing the buck and letting the programmers (LaValse and/or mahlzeit and/or Frank) make that decision. That way nobody can blame me when they come up with one of those typically dense computer thingies like %AbF/#^%4/3##.html.lol.jpeg_}]. laugh

Hi All,
I have not been reading posts lately, but I would like to say I agree with Monica. Keep it simple to get to site to upload to the Recital. Keep our name Adult Beginners Forum, keep the Monthly Piano Bar, and give the quarterly recital a name that is simple. I have been busy learning how to use my new Mac. Will download Audacity, and hope I can be ready for the November recital thumb
Dot

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission