2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
I had Dave Stahl spend a couple hours with my Schimmel 120 today. I wasn't actually there when he was working inside the mechanism, sadly, so I have only an amazing piano to judge his effort by. I recorded the same piece of music with the same settings on my camera before and after. I think the results speak for themselves. It was like he added an extra 5 feet onto the back of the piano, but without changing the positive aspects of its character.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, a good technician can make quite a difference but there so many incompetents. One regulated my Estonia and it's barely playable. Now I have to try to find someone to re-regulate it and re-voice it so it is good again. What a sad thing to have something done and it turns out worse than when it was started. I didn't want anything done to it.

Well, congrats on a GOOD one! smile

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I have a new Bluthner grand that's still going through growing pains as it's barely a year old. Depending on weather conditions, it can get wonky in as little as a month...despite D.C. and trying to control humidity.

The instrument sounds so good it practically makes me weep after my tech gets through with it. I just wish it would last longer.

Last edited by cardguy; 11/01/11 11:25 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jeffrey, I believe you but I couldn't hear a thing... Both recordings are extremely soft to the point that even with the loudest settings possible on my laptop it's barely audible... frown Is anyone else experiencing that?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Jeffrey, I believe you but I couldn't hear a thing... Both recordings are extremely soft to the point that even with the loudest settings possible on my laptop it's barely audible... frown Is anyone else experiencing that?
Yes.

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Nikolas

To listen to almost any classical music I have to use headphones.. my laptop's speakers are just too quiet and crackly.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Jeffrey -

As long as YOU can hear and feel a difference - that's all that really matters !!!!!

Even though I had to crank the volume of my computer speakers up to the highest setting, I was able to hear this quite well. (My PC is not a laptop).

I enjoy hearing you play this transcription.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I don't have any difficulty listening to music from my laptop because I have external speakers with subwoofer attached. That said, I had to turn the volume to maximum on both the Youtube video and on my laptop's volume control; at that, I got relatively faint recordings, not loud enough to distinguish between the two.

Listening with a reasonably good headset didn't significantly change the results except to point out that the second recording is even fainter than the first.

But, yes, a good technician can do wonders, if you can find one.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Are these Zoom Q3 recordings? I've found the low-input setting to produce faint recordings exactly like these. (And the high-input setting to produce distortion. And the auto setting to be OK, with reservations. I'm not a Q3 fan.)

-J

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by beet31425
Are these Zoom Q3 recordings? I've found the low-input setting to produce faint recordings exactly like these. (And the high-input setting to produce distortion. And the auto setting to be OK, with reservations. I'm not a Q3 fan.)

-J

Yes, exactly. Couldn't have said it any better..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Jeffrey,

I listened to this as soon as you put it up--like when the views said "3."

1) Your playing is excellent, and a joy to listen to/watch.

2) You are so very fortunate to have David Stahl as your tech. Very, very fortunate, indeed!

3) It was very difficult to really hear what you wanted us to hear, because you changed the recording set-up... The first recording is close and muffled. (BTW, did you have the lid open for both recordings?) The second recording is more clear, but distanted. I think what I am hearing in the second recording is a really nice ET, with excellent unisons and a really nice octave stretch for your piano. I definitely hear in the second recording very beautiful resonance and harmonics in some of the chords, AND, that seems to cause you to play more sensitively. Am I seeing/hearing this right?

4) Is there any way David can chime in and tell us what he did to your piano?

Thanks!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
I did have the lid open both times. What I notice is that the melody lines sing out more easily, because now the instrument is capable of a pianissimo, as well as a fortissimo without harshness. Before, there was a very narrow range of hollow tones.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I did have the lid open both times. What I notice is that the melody lines sing out more easily, because now the instrument is capable of a pianissimo, as well as a fortissimo without harshness. Before, there was a very narrow range of hollow tones.

... and I don't care if the top is on it, get that damned water bottle off the top of the piano. After all his work, Dave would have a fit, wouldn't he? Shame!! smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Helps to put the recording on 480

Beautiful playing for a beautiful piece. Didn't know it before this. I'll put it in the 'queue'

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BruceD

... and I don't care if the top is on it, get that damned water bottle off the top of the piano. After all his work, Dave would have a fit, wouldn't he? Shame!! smile

That's on a bookcase behind the piano. No sacrilege committed. smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD

That's on a bookcase behind the piano. No sacrilege committed. smile

I see that now. I should have asked. (Duh!) Whew! What a relief, though!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

-J

The auto setting cuts out high peaks. If you set the volume level at a midway point in the high-input setting it works great, with excellent sound. And of course pay attention to placement.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by NeilOS

-J

The auto setting cuts out high peaks. If you set the volume level at a midway point in the high-input setting it works great, with excellent sound. And of course pay attention to placement.

I didn't realize the volume control made a difference in the high-gain mode.. that changes everything!

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by NeilOS

-J

I didn't realize the volume control made a difference in the high-gain mode.. that changes everything!

Well, I may have misspoken. I just did a test run and it seems that the volume slider only affects playback (sorry). I didn't notice this because I always leave the slider at a midway point. But I do get excellent results by placing the Zoom a significant distance away (15 feet or so) and I always record at hi input, reducing the volume at playback as needed. I've made very nice DVDs and youtube uploads with this setting. The audio can be extracted in iMovie and burned to CD, if desired.

The auto setting might be okay if your performance has a relatively constant volume level. The low setting is if your loudness level is consistently high.

Last edited by NeilOS; 11/02/11 06:15 PM.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
I don't have a room big enough to keep the piano 15 feet away from the soundboard, unfortuantely. I have 10 feet to the back wall and 10 feet to the front wall..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission