Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1758159 - 09/23/11 06:58 PM Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007
Jaak Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
Hi,

Despite the excentricism and going very far from normal performance standard, the musicality and artistic personality of Ivo Pogorelich attracts me strongly. I like his attitude and absolute courage to be himself.

Maybe you know this live recording but for me it was a new discovery and quite shocking. I wanted to share.
link is here: http://youtu.be/busLlMy6TQo

What do you think of Ivo Pogorelich at all (then and now)?

P.S. I live in Tallinn Estonia and Pogorelich comes to perform in Vilnius Lithuania in October 24. This is about 600km to go. Would you go to his recital?

GL
Jaak

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1758168 - 09/23/11 07:29 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Jaak
. . .What do you think of Ivo Pogorelich at all (then and now)?

P.S. I live in Tallinn Estonia and Pogorelich comes to perform in Vilnius Lithuania in October 24. This is about 600km to go. Would you go to his recital?

On the strength of this recording alone, no. In fact, no way, no how. I think it was Schnabel who said that real music lies not in the notes, but in the space between the notes. Pogorelich leaves enough space between most of the notes in the Rachmaninoff that you could drive a Hummer through them. (The big one, not the little ones.) I never thought anyone could make that gorgeous music sound like a funeral dirge, but Ivo has done it.

On the other hand, if you asked me that question right after I'd listened to his DG Scarlatti recording, I would answer just the opposite. His touch is quicksilver, his tempi make you want to dance, and the phrasing is just about perfect. For my money, it's a close race between Pogo and Horowitz as to whose Scarlatti recordings should be considered definitive. (OK, maybe Martha too.) I know he's had to endure some awful tragedy in his life, but I sure wish the man who made those wonderful Scarlatti recordings would come back to us.

#1758171 - 09/23/11 07:35 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
I respect his artistic originality, but in this case, while being different, his super slow performance doesn't bring anything new to the work except boredom, which I never felt before. I suppose performances by him are more like jazz than classical in the sense that there's more real creation and spontaneity going on, but as a result, there's a higher rate of crash and burn.

I'd carefully check out what his exact program was going to be and do my best to hear youtube or other examples of him recently playing those pieces before I traveled that distance to hear him. Earlier in his career, it seems like his eccentricities were more likely to be wonderful; now they seem more likely to be unintelligible.

#1758199 - 09/23/11 08:41 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: MarkH]
Jaak Offline

Hi MarkH,

Thank you for the reply.

BTW you seem to have a great repertoire processing. Are you performing often, where do/did you learn and are there any recordings of you playing?

Jaak

#1758201 - 09/23/11 08:46 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Emanuel Ravelli]
Jaak Offline

Hi Phil,

Tragedies that is true - homeland, wife.
I think you just hit the spot - this way of playing seems to be a huge grieving.

Jaak

#1758209 - 09/23/11 09:19 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
LeaC Offline

Loc: USA
I like originality. I enjoy hearing a piece played many ways.

This performance leaves me totally baffled. I wouldn't know where to begin to point out what's not working here. Basically, it has no direction at all. I didn't think it would be possible to remove the pull from this piece, but, he's done it. I expect inventive voicings, a new illumination on the prasing, a view on the rhythm. I think he may be going for a magical sparkle, but, to me, it sounds bizzare.

Maybe it's his Phillip Glass impersonation!

However, now I am determined to change how I feel and I will be listening to further recordings of Pogorelich.

#1758227 - 09/23/11 10:20 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
timbo77 Offline

Loc: Singapore
I find this completely unsatisfying as a performance. He stresses seemingly random snippets of melodic fragments or isolated chords whilst reducing everything else to a whisper. If there were a method behind it, I could maybe appreciate the attempt, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. For example, the inexplicable subito-piano in one of the opening chords serves no purpose (is it a nod to Rachmaninoff, the master of the unexpected subito-piano as a means of ratcheting up the tension and excitement? if so, it doesn't work here); the second subject sounds like an erratic right-reading exercise. The rhythmic pulse is entirely lost and the orchestra can't keep up (and who could blame them?). I'm all for fresh interpretations of music, particularly pieces as well-known as this, but this feels like a free-form experiment.

Has anyone ever heard him live? I was talking to a friend who has heard him a number of times but found him to be very uneven in quality: sometimes he would be spell-binding; at other times unpolished, replete with mistakes or just plain eccentric. This performance seems to fall in the last category.

Compare his recording of Gaspard: it's mind-blowing!

#1758238 - 09/23/11 10:38 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: timbo77]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: timbo77

Has anyone ever heard him live?

Yes, in London 11 (or 12) years ago, I seem to have lost the programme. But I recall he was brill.
Quote:

Indeed it is! And have you heard his Prokofiev 6? (But with apologies, I think Kissin is better.)

I watched the video in the OP twice this evening. It was very depressing. I really don't know what else to say...

#1758244 - 09/23/11 10:52 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
He has balls and a voice. That being said, I love him in his younger years, I think he's someone very different now. I wish I heard him live. I'd LOVE to have a lesson with him, even just one.. and talk to him, hear his thoughts on various things. He's an incredibly interesting individual. And I'm totally in love with his younger self!

His Gaspard, Scarlatti and Chopin from the 1980s/90s are unbelievable.

Edited by Pogorelich. (09/23/11 10:53 PM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1758255 - 09/23/11 11:11 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Pogorelich.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
He has balls and a voice. That being said, I love him in his younger years, I think he's someone very different now. I wish I heard him live. I'd LOVE to have a lesson with him, even just one.. and talk to him, hear his thoughts on various things. He's an incredibly interesting individual. And I'm totally in love with his younger self!

His Gaspard, Scarlatti and Chopin from the 1980s/90s are unbelievable.

Agreed on all points, and I'm not surprised you feel this way. wink

#1758306 - 09/24/11 12:55 AM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
lisztvsthalberg Offline

I heard him play Scarlatti sonatas and the Liszt sonata in his prime in the 90's. He also played Islamey as an encore. It was one of the most mesmerizing recitals I have ever attended and I would still go to see him live any time if I had the chance. I also think that some of these eccentric interpretations work very differently in a live performance. Even back then he played the middle section of the Liszt sonata probably two times slower than most people and it sounded just perfect. There is a different "pulse" in concerts like this.

#1758311 - 09/24/11 01:23 AM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
I heard Pogorelich play Prokofiev 3rd with Chicago Symphony in the mid or late 80s and it was the best concerto performance I have ever heard. Pogorelich was a god in the 80s and every time I revisit those earlier recordings, I am reminded that he was something remarkable when in his element. His control of sound can make me gasp.

I don't think I could hear him play now. It would be too painful.

Edited by Keith D Kerman (09/24/11 01:26 AM)
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#1758340 - 09/24/11 03:58 AM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: timbo77]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

Has anyone ever heard him live?

No, but I'd love to have the opportunity. More for the possibility of a chance to speak with him than to hear him though.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1758358 - 09/24/11 07:42 AM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: argerichfan]
timbo77 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Indeed it is! And have you heard his Prokofiev 6? (But with apologies, I think Kissin is better.)

I also like his Prokofiev 6 AND I also personally prefer Kissin's! Maybe this is how English ears are wired...

#1758453 - 09/24/11 12:46 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
Fugue14 Offline

I saw him twice in the 80s--he was staggeringly brilliant. Sadly, this is what he's reduced to these days:

#1758493 - 09/24/11 02:23 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Fugue14]
LeaC Offline

The poor man seems to have lost his spirit.

#1759151 - 09/25/11 07:14 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: LeaC]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
He is probably sick. Cut him some slack.

#1759165 - 09/25/11 07:40 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Listen to everything after he returned to the stage after taking a short retirement, and it's not a one-time thing...
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no.3

#1759224 - 09/25/11 09:25 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: pno]
LeaC Offline

I am in sympathy with him! And it is a shame that some in this industry do go for the throat if they hear that someone is ailing. I did not mean that in a critical way at all.

#1759227 - 09/25/11 09:28 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
LeaC Offline

Hi Jaak,I was reading about Estonia online. Beautiful country, and it seems like such a good place to live. Part of my family is 3rd generation Lithuanian here in the US.

#1781368 - 11/01/11 07:56 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
Perhaps we should all try to listen to him without our mental image and etiquette for his younger days. Slow and fast is really an illusion, no?
Maybe we should listen to him as we would listen to the piece for the first time.
I don't think he regards Time the same way we do.

#1781372 - 11/01/11 08:01 PM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: ecm]
LeaC Offline

Originally Posted By: ecm
Perhaps we should all try to listen to him without our mental image and etiquette for his younger days. Slow and fast is really an illusion, no?
Maybe we should listen to him as we would listen to the piece for the first time.
I don't think he regards Time the same way we do.

Nor space, perhaps.

#1781511 - 11/02/11 12:53 AM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Jaak]
Fugue14 Offline

In addition to concerts in the 80s (among the pieces were Bach English Suite 3, Beethoven Op.111, Rachmaninov Sonata No.2 (original version), Scriabin Sonata No.2, Ravel Gaspard du la Nuit, and Balakirev's Islamey), I saw him about 5 years years ago when he played Beethoven Op.78 (I think), some Rachmaninov, Scriabin, and Liszt. By that point, he had adopted glacial tempos and bizarre articulations--I could not believe it was the same artist.

#1781551 - 11/02/11 03:35 AM Re: Ivo Pogorelich plays Rach 2 in Berlin 2007 [Re: Fugue14]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Thanks to Jaak for posting. It seems that some people here are not entirely happy with the changes in Pogorelichs style of playing, and most critics seem not to be to happy with it either. But I am reasonably sure that Pogorelich is enjoying his new style even more than I do myself.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 53 invisible), 1616 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251383 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission