2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I give my students quarters for keeping their eyes on the page.

100%!

they love it.

I'm not so rich tho.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
L
L
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by LeaC

People who tend to memorize quickly and avoid note reading do need special care if they are going to acquire good reading skills. A balance is always what is needed. A good reader needs to be taught listening skills, likewise, a person who tends to play by ear needs to be kept solidly on the path of learning to read well.

thumb
About reading: I have found that the more natural it is for young students to memorize, they more they tend to avoid reading for the simple reason that, for them, memorizing is easier. They develop from the start the habit of deciphering music, measure by measure, line by line, then speeding it up without or almost without the music. The only consistently effective thing I have found to counter this, early, is to give such students one or two new pages each week as a "challenge", to work out at home. Actually, there is another thing: continually bombard them with new music, because these really quick memorizers get things so fast that they may not be reading much at all after the second or third run-through. Transfer students are the most difficult challenge. Often they have become very good at memorizing and no longer think that reading is even a useful skill.

About developing the ear: it is terribly neglected by *some* teachers who stress reading but who do not the WHYS of how music is made. smile

Agreed, Gary. I myself wish that I could be better at teaching ear skills.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
There are books known as "Notespellers" that you can buy online or at most music shops. They are written for all levels. The neat thing about these worksheets is that you can make numerous copies of each sheet

Actually, unless the writers stipulate in writing that you have their permission to make copies, you can't copy note spellers. To circumvent that, I make my own note spellers.

But you are absolutely right about those weak readers.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
There are books known as "Notespellers" that you can buy online or at most music shops. They are written for all levels. The neat thing about these worksheets is that you can make numerous copies of each sheet

Actually, unless the writers stipulate in writing that you have their permission to make copies, you can't copy note spellers. To circumvent that, I make my own note spellers.

I would argue that there is a common sense factor here.

I would not make copies of anything that is copyrighted. But if a student, for example, or a student's parents copies pages from a note-speller so that their son or daughter can do the page more than once, I certainly would have no objection. smile

(By the way, I also do all my own materials...)

L
L
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I would argue that there is a common sense factor here.

I would not make copies of anything that is copyrighted. But if a student, for example, or a student's parents copies pages from a note-speller so that their son or daughter can do the page more than once, I certainly would have no objection. smile

(By the way, I also do all my own materials...)

I also avoid making copies. I should have said that 1) I meant for the person to make copies from their own purchased book (not mine), and 2) I have a nice collection of notespellers that are copywrite free, some of which were purchased at Friendship House, some from other sources.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
L
L
Folks, I am really overwhelmed right now, and need to proof my posts. I can't believe I spelled copyright incorrectly. Excuse me until I get some things sorted out that are weighing heavily on me at the moment.

it's copywrite.. ha ah

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
L
L
At this point, I'm too busy to care!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission