2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xphotography
Thanks you, everyone! I appreciate the suggestions.

@Ataru074, I don't even know how I can be a troll, do you even know what the word means? There are many people out there who have a solid piano but can't afford lessons, it really shouldn't be that hard to believe.

than I'm sorry, but really.... save on something else and get a teacher anyway.
"keyboard" playing evolved in the last 500 years or so.. "piano" playing evolved in the last 300 years... there are so many detail that no book, no youtube video, no "nothing" can tell you but a teacher that spent the previous 10/20/30 years of his/her life learning what you want to learn... and between teachers you'll find good teachers, average teachers and bad teachers...

you can spend your whole life reinventing the wheel and discovering warm water in piano playing without the coaching of somebody that know the "right way"... at least to bring you at the level you desire.

remember that hitting the right keys is not even that important in music playing... and usually a lot of self learners stops there.

S
S
I just wanted to say, as a person who had lessons as a kid 30ish years ago, who is now back in the piano playing game with lots of kids, who just got a nice piano to relearn on and have his kids learn on, I don't think it's appropriate to be bashing on a poster for any reason. During my piano search, I came to the forum looking for honest good opinions (as one would expect from what is considered the pre-eminent forum for piano discussion). My feeling is that there are numerous experts here with years or decades of experience. If you have valuable feedback to provide, then please, by all means, post replies to newbie questions. If you don't want to answer the "same question" again and again, or have a negative opinion of what is being asked, then simply "don't reply" to the post. I too spent all my available funds on my piano, a hopefully wonderful used Yamaha U3. I have no money for lessons, and will be teaching myself and my kids. Possibly I don't aspire to play such difficult pieces as xphotography, but I also don't begrudge him trying to self teach, especially since we are in the age of self teaching, youtube, etc. Thanks again for all the expert advice.

Hi xphotography -- I've taught a considerable number of adult pianists who were self taught, and, to be honest I have to admit that virtually every one of them needed help on their technique. Unfortunately, the more advanced they were the more help they needed because the more bad habits the developed.

It sucks I know.

However, if you really can't afford a good teacher, maybe the best thing you can do for yourself--besides trying your best to watch your technique-- is develop a solid understanding of music theory, intervals, scales, chords, etc from the ground up.

I agree with other posters that the Piano Adventures and RCM stuff is good. Your intentions, in terms of going back and covering your fundamentals, are good. The problem is simply knowing how to cover those fundamentals without a teacher. Finding a good teacher is itself an issue you have to deal with when taking lessons, so imagine how hard it is to sort the good from the bad when you're trying to sort through the issues online.

Matt McLaughlin
piano - composition - theory
Austin, TX
Find me at:

McLaughlin School Piano Lessons
Piano Blog
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission