2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1782540 11/03/11 05:54 PM
L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi. I need to replace a Renner hammers in a Schimmel grand. They are made of beech and, actually, they are so wasted and shimmed that the down weight in keys are only 45 grms (and resilence and sound are dead...).
Replace them directly from factory (including shanks) is not an option because budget. I have two different sets alternatives, with similar size and both shaped: one made of beech and other in walnut (and impregnated). What do you think will be lighter at the end? (obviously I don't have mode to test/weight them).
Thanks in advance,
Lluís

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hammer weight depends on more factors than the wood used on the moldings.

Before embarking on a project as important as hammer selection and installation on a high quality expensive instrument, you need to have the tools and wherewithal to do the piano justice.

Sorry, but if you don't have anything to weigh them, (possibly along with fixtures and experience) the chances of a positive outcome of your project are slim indeed.

PS: the hammers are not beech, they are probably hornbeam, which is not related to beech.

JG
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lluiscl
Replace them directly from factory (including shanks) is not an option because budget. I have two different sets alternatives, with similar size and both shaped: one made of beech and other in walnut (and impregnated). What do you think will be lighter at the end? (obviously I don't have mode to test/weight them).

There is not enough information here to answer your question.

The wood used for the molding contributes only a small part of the overall weight of the hammer. The density of the felt is a bigger factor. Were both sets of hammers made with the same type of felt? Did the hammermaker use the same amount of pressure and heat? The exact size and shape of the hammers is important. Are the hammers the same width? Do you know how to trim them to the correct width for your piano?

As well, you don’t really know how much hammer mass your action and piano needs. The old hammers are worn so badly you cannot accurately determine what their weight might have been when they were new.

You need to consult with someone who is experienced with this work, who can examine your piano and the hammers you have available and who can help you evaluate your different options. He/she can also help you replace the hammers in a workman like way. There are many ways to make mistakes in this work and it doesn’t sound like you have the experience to avoid making them.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks a lot for your responses. Obviously I have tools and experience in this work... The main question here is that, due the dimensions of the original hammer (78-70mm), I don't have many options to choose. I know that originals were very hard (full impregnated)from the beginning, so choose the walnut impregnated ones is my first option. Final weight is also crucial (since 1 grm more or less in hammer is about 6 grms in the key) and I try to avoid removing molding and felt from the beginning... I read also that walnut/mahogany/soft maple moldings are lighter than hornbeam/birch/hard maple, but the other hammer option (from Renner) says in german "Weissbuche", which is the traditional white beech,no? and I think isn´t the same as hornbeam.
I'd apreciate any helps more...
All the best,
Lluís

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Weissbuche is the german for hornbeam. Check out:

http://www.lloydmeyer.com/PDF/hornbeam.pdf

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...Obviously I have tools and experience in this work....
Really? have you been shopping for scales since yesterday?
.... What do you think will be lighter at the end? (obviously I don't have mode to test/weight them)...

A good scale is a must-have for doing a proper hammer job. If you don't know what the original hammers weigh, how can you match the weight of the new hammers? Certainly not alone by the species of the wood used in the molding.

Digital scales sell for a few Euros on eBay. Go splurge - buying new tools makes technicians happy!
... I try to avoid removing molding and felt from the beginning...

Fine tuning the weight of individual hammers by custom tapering of the tails and/or making the hammer more narrow is standard practice, at least in good rebuilding shops in North America.

JG
L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Lucky I have found the solution this afternoon, directly from Louis-renner web. They have the hammers that I need bored for Schimmel. Mahogany is the molding.
All the best.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission