Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1719560 - 07/23/11 08:49 PM "Clicky" Korg Keys
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
So many comments about this (just read the thread on the SV-1) I thought I would relate my experience, for what little it may be worth.

Just a few months after my SP-170 came, I started to notice an annoying clicking on the release of about 7 keys around middle C. There was also a rattle when using it with the internal speakers that I had noticed, not a problem unless I carried the 170 out, because I use a 2.1 sound system at home.

So this incorrigible DIYer turned the thing over, removed about 36 screws, put it right side up again, and lifted off the cover/top, not knowing what I might find as to the noisy keys. But with the cover off, the clicking was gone!

Because of the rattle, I added some 1/8" thick foam weather striping on top of the little bit that was already there around the speaker "enclosure", and then put it back together. The keybed has been quiet ever since (about 10 hrs/week use for 6 months), and the speaker rattle is no more. My thought is that because of the added foam striping, there is more clearance between the edge of the top and the key tops. The keybed feels sooo much more expensive without the clicking.

I know the keybed is different on the SP-170, but perhaps a top/cover fitting problem is common to some of the other models. So if it's out of warranty..... PM me if you want more info.

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1719861 - 07/24/11 09:37 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL
I had a similar experience with the clicking keys on the SP-170. When I took it apart and manipulated the the key mechanism by hand, I could find nothing wrong, and the noise was mysteriously gone when I re-assembled it. The problem came back about a week or so later. I re-greased the mechanism with white lithium grease, and that seemed to cure the problem. It was never serious, but was annoying.

Another note on the SP-170: I reported a problem with the SP-170 only sending midi velocity data from 0-80, while others did not have this problem. I am using a Cakewalk UM-1G midi to USB converter which has an "advanced driver" setting for use with a custom driver for Windows. I don't need this since I am using Linux. Apparently the button got set by accident to the "advanced" driver which caused the problem.

#1719908 - 07/24/11 11:12 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I’m another owner of Korg SP-170, but my problem with the keyboard is other one. Some keys have got unstuck from their mechanisms which make the hammer effect. When I press these keys, they make a strange and unpleasant noise and feel. I am really pressing the key and one little instant after, the key moves the hammer mechanisms under its surface, by clashing.

I found a similar noise on this video (minutes: 0:24, 0:33, 0:55, 1:04, 1:08...):

I can still send the piano under warranty, but I’d have to wait at least one month for the piano was repaired. I have thought of fixing it myself.

Do you have photos about the inside of this keyboard?. They would be very helpful.

Regards.

My website

#1720120 - 07/24/11 06:09 PM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: tinknocker]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
Good Information there.
Would love to see some pics of the inside. Not game enough to open my sp250.

Lots of talk about the clicky Korg keybeds.....some only a few months old. Mine was a floor model I got a great deal on....so I figured it's been sitting there for at least a few months and no clicks. Plus it came with a 5 year warranty. Would be interesting to see how noisy keys are dealt with under warranty. Touch wood I dont have to find out.

#1720413 - 07/25/11 03:47 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
Bogs Offline

I have a SP250 and certain keys do make the "clicky" sound heard in the video. It is still under the 3-year warranty from Thomann, but since I don't live in Germany, it's not enough to send the keyboard in. As soon as I got the piano I noticed there was a key making a rather different noise than the rest, but I thought maybe it's just my imagination or it's a keyboard thing. Now there are at least 2 more keys that make the "clicking" sound. If played with headphones though, it cannot be heard. I'd be interested to see some photos with the repair too.

P.S: Because SP250 and SP170 have different actions (RM3 vs NH), I was apprehensive about posting...maybe it's not the same problem? But still, I recognize the clicking sounds in the video! Different actions, same problem? Can anyone with SP250 confirm this?

#1720432 - 07/25/11 05:27 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
Pianero Offline

it's really a pity that such nice dp have all this problems, actually it seems like his price and all this experiences are telling that it's poorly made, here i found other video with keys making another annoying noise:

youtube users says that can be fixed, but really, why the people who buy a stuff have to fix the thing personally, knowing that are paying for something that is supposed to work fine and be good?

Edited by Pianero (07/25/11 05:28 AM)

#1720439 - 07/25/11 06:30 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
My current piano is not my first SP-170. When the first one arrived I had to return it, because of the keyboard made a noticeable “clank” noise. The second piano worked fine the first weeks. But since four months ago, more or less, the piano has got that problem.

I don’t know what to think about, whether I’m unlucky with Korg or the control quality by Korg is not very good.

My website

#1720455 - 07/25/11 08:12 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
Bogs Offline

Woo, my SP 250 definitely doesn't make the "clack" sounds from the second video! Are those the same as in the 1st video? I can't tell...then maybe I was wrong in the first place! I'll try to upload a video with what *I* think the problem is with my SP250. Sorry for maybe spreading misleading information frown

#1785760 - 11/09/11 09:07 AM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Bob M]
aviendha Offline

Loc: South Africa
Also experiencing a bit of a rattle on some of the keys. When keyboard is played at loud levels and only from speakers, not heard through earphones.

Have not yet returned to dealer - such a mission. Might do so soon though.
Always game for a DIY fix though smile

#1786139 - 11/09/11 10:50 PM Re: "Clicky" Korg Keys [Re: Pianero]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The sound in the video sounds like the hammer is hitting the case internally. This usually would happen because part of the felt damper has ripped, become compressed, or might have become unglued and hanging.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 40 invisible), 1444 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission