2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
It is better to break a string before the show than to have it break in the middle of the show.

is it?

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
From the audience's point of view, certainly. Especially if there is nobody there to fix it. I am tuning and leaving for tonight's show.

Semipro Tech
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
From the audience's point of view, certainly. Especially if there is nobody there to fix it. I am tuning and leaving for tonight's show.

It's just that I have some pianos whose stringing is a bit old for concert work plus some really vulgar "Artists" and I don't have that problem. I don't break strings, nor do they.

Perhaps it's being close to the Bay

How do you deal with unstable new strings if you're not there?

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
BDB Offline
B
Most of the pianos where I am the sole tuner do not have problems with breaking strings. One of them, the one I am tuning Wednesday, did, but it seems to have stabilized in recent years and does not break them as much. But none of them get as much playing as the concert reserve instruments, which are played often and hard. The person in charge of the pianos at Stanford University, where I have never tuned, told me that they have their concert grands restrung every 10 years.

Most of the instability of new strings comes from installing them incorrectly. If everything is tightened up at installation, the only thing left is stretching, and that is slow enough that it will not be noticeable for many hours, particularly since these are very high notes.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

Thanks Kees,but I think the rush is not necessary, to avoid errors and the quality was not affected

The point is you can get the same results in 1/4 of the time.

Regarding the video you posted, you tuned the piano 30 cents flat (relative to A=440). Can you explain why you did that?

Cheers,
Kees

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees
[quote=Maximillyan]
Regarding the video you posted, you tuned the piano 30 cents flat (relative to A=440). Can you explain why you did that?
Cheers,
Kees

Dear Kees , are you sure you correctly identified the general system the piano on my video. Why so? I usually have settings piano's practice where resources are partially or completely exhausted itself. In the video, "Belarus" in 1959. Its no one ever tuning up. After removing the dust and removing small defects the hammer's mechanism, I checked the digital tuning system. I have found that 75% below the standard sounds more than a semitone. (In the beginning of the video I play a 4-octave section). Some notes are all the same is true for near 30sen below. I decided to do temperament the basis of these sounds. I know that when picked up by building more halftones can break string. I am unable to buy new strings.Nobody it sale in our town. So, what I'm doing rather is technical routine operation, but the "art of resurrection from obscurity".
Sincerely,maxim_tuner_bodger

Last edited by Maximillyan; 10/29/11 02:32 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Today I'm shot clip about T-bar. Sorry, I does not speak conversational English. I hope that the chronicle will be available in the understanding of the benefits Universal T-bar .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K125i_WBqw
Sincerely, maxim_tuner_bodger

Last edited by Maximillyan; 10/29/11 03:56 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monaco
Mark,
Do you use an ETD?

Depends what for. I don't even own an ETD, but have borrowed a friend's chromatic tuner sometimes, to evaluate exactly how flat a piano is before and after a pitch raise. As a beginner, I'm still very careful with overpull. I rather pull up to A440 in several passes.

But my actual tuning is by ear only. The ETD was only for measuring "before and after", to learn about the effects of a pitch raise.

Why do you ask?

Last edited by Mark R.; 10/31/11 06:13 AM. Reason: changed typo "ETC" to "ETD"

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
M
M
Because an ETD will speed up your times tremendously, especially for pitch raises. Most (all?) good ETD's will calculate the amount of overpull needed so you only have to do one quick pass where you just get the note close. Then you are ready to do a final tuning on the next pass. I can easily do a pitch raise in 40 minutes, sometimes a little less. I have heard of people who can do it in 20.

I am sure that if I was to try to tune strictly by ear, as you do, my times would be much more in line with yours. On the other hand, if you use an ETD, I would bet that your times would be much more in line with min. Also, I can guarantee that my work, if not dead on, is very close to being correct (assuming I can set a pin and tune solid unisons - both of which are getting better all the time - one of the reasons I consider myself a "beginner").

If money is a serious consideration, as it was for me, I suggest Tunelabs. It's $300 and goes on (almost?) any iOS device. I purchased a used iTouch off ebay for $140. Total = $440 as opposed to some of the other options that can be as much as $1400. Plus, now I have an iTouch, which is nice.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Ben.

Pin-setting and unisons are exactly what takes time for me - I'm not sure how much time an ETD would save me there.

In fact, I don't even know what "iOS" stands for... My mobile is for making calls and sending short messages - but I'll keep these things in mind.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monaco
I can easily do a pitch raise in 40 minutes, sometimes a little less. I have heard of people who can do it in 20.

I'm sorry friends, but I think the main success and basic instructions to tuning the use ear's of audition. The digital tuner is an aid Tuner. If the tuner can not hear a clean 8, 4 and 5 , it is impossible to talk about temperament. Deadline temperament to be as long as necessary to configure each individual piano
Regards for your forum. maxim_tuner_bodger

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Johnkie
This guy cannot tune, and more importantly .... is in serious danger of snapping wrestpins the way he flagpoles them with his T bar socket set "tuning hammer" !

The time will judge us
maxim_tuner_bodger

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This guy cannot tune, and more importantly .... is in serious danger of snapping wrestpins the way he flagpoles them with his T bar socket set "tuning hammer" !

The time will judge us
maxim_tuner_bodger

Max:

I no longer think that better equipment will help you. I think that you are “A Legend in Your Own Mind.” It is good that you satisfy your customers, but I no longer think that we can help you. frown

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner

The time will judge us
maxim_tuner_bodger
that we can help you. frown

Some may be unacceptable method of tuning from Maxim. But hour after hour with special keys (T- bar) he carries out the tuning with the help of a plectrum. Kids are filmed, they are happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omv1cRji5vM

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I realise you are only doing your best MAX, but your best is just not good enough for you to imagine that you could be classed as a tuner or technician. Many people have offered to help you with correct tools and methods, but you don't seem to be at all interested in being guided by skilled craftsmen, preferring instead to carry on as before, continually posting links to your videos. If you really wish to be taken seriously I would suggest that you make more of an effort to change your ways of doing things, and learn from those that are offering you the benefit of their skill and experience.

You clearly have a passion for this kind of work, so why not endeavour to reach the necessary standard? That way you could be held in high regard, and have the ability to get a job anywhere in the world.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
help you with correct tools and methods, but you don't seem to be at all interested in being guided by skilled craftsmen, preferring instead to carry on as before, continually posting links to your videos. That way you could be held in high regard, and have the ability to get a job anywhere in the world.

Dear Johnkie.Thank you for your kind words. You are not quite right when you say that Max "does not want to change and adopt the standard methods of the master-technique." On the contrary, I have come to OUR forum to comprehend the world's practice. However, due to the circumstances of my life, I have to work as conditions permit of my being. "To move to anywhere in the world and work like everything" I do not have a moral right. So, as I can not leave my customers without service, even if it not qualified. So I will learn and improve in service piano
maxim_tuner_bodger

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

So I will learn and improve in service piano
maxim_tuner_bodger

So you say. We will see.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees
Originally Posted by Dan Casdorph
How long does it take you to tune a piano

Dan,If the piano is in good technical condition ( tight pin- pin's hole- pinblock ) then I shall tuning more than 5 hours, new 7-9 h
Using either a muting strip or rubber dampers you can cut this time down to 1-2 hrs.Kees

Dear DoelKees,I tried to work with rubber mufflers in the bass sector. However, despite the fact that the sound of "catch" the faster, but the mufflers are constantly falling. If you can provide a link to the video. Sincerely,maxim_tuner_bodger

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Maximillyan; 11/12/11 11:20 PM.
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
This is the third time that I have noticed Max to deliberately misquote or partially quote or change words. That's what I have seen in mere casual reading. There are probably more.

Once could be error, twice, careless, three times constitutes a very probable intent to deceive.

I can forgive innocent misunderstanding but deliberate misunderstanding makes me want to cease helping you.

Amanda Reckonwith

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission