Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1787546 - 11/12/11 11:43 AM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: apple*]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Originally Posted By: apple*
I don't really like showing off at the holidays and keep my music of service quality.. accompanying others.

Well, I practice Christmas carols in July, & have told my student's to do the same, because last year one of my student's parents asked if I would play an hour of Christmas carols at a dinner for over 300 people. I said yes, but wish now I had had some jazzy Christmas pieces memorized instead of just the traditional carols. Some of those Christmas carols just don't work that easily "Joy to the World" being on of those tunes that just gets my fingers all tangled up. So not trying to "show off" just that being ready can be a good thing, especially when there are 300 people there. How does a teacher say "no" when it's a parent who's asking. So traditional carols are okay, but I need to have "jazzy" carols really good & ready. And, no I did't get paid.

So practicing in July. Rather, memorizing some "show off" Christmas Jazz pieces is not just expected, but a MUST! Should have taken all my students there instead of just me. Showing off? Ohe yes, times like that I want to be overly ready & yes "show off"! But one has to be ready, really ready to pull that off!!! Especially when there are over 300 people! and when you are being introduced as "this is my children's piano teacher"! grin

My jazz teacher had 450 songs memorized just for events like that, but he also charged $400 an hour too! At that price, one has to "show off"!!! grin Maybe practice Christmas music in July . . . & August!!!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1787628 - 11/12/11 02:09 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: Diane...]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Diane...

Well, I practice Christmas carols in July, & have told my student's to do the same, because last year one of my student's parents asked if I would play an hour of Christmas carols at a dinner for over 300 people. I said yes, but wish now I had had some jazzy Christmas pieces memorized instead of just the traditional carols. Some of those Christmas carols just don't work that easily "Joy to the World" being on of those tunes that just gets my fingers all tangled up. So not trying to "show off" just that being ready can be a good thing, especially when there are 300 people there. How does a teacher say "no" when it's a parent who's asking. So traditional carols are okay, but I need to have "jazzy" carols really good & ready. And, no I did't get paid.

I use September and October for "spooky" songs, November for songs that could be about "thanks" or "being grateful".

Then December for Christmas. That helps me get PAID in December. wink

#1787632 - 11/12/11 02:14 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
My piano tech plays selections from A Charlie Brown Christmas, from memory. Both jazzy and soothing, if maybe just a little sad. But gorgeous.

Of course, there's always Santa Baby to fall back on. You won't find that one in the hymnbook!

#1787641 - 11/12/11 02:45 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: Jeff Clef]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
My piano tech plays selections from A Charlie Brown Christmas, from memory. Both jazzy and soothing, if maybe just a little sad. But gorgeous.

Of course, there's always Santa Baby to fall back on. You won't find that one in the hymnbook!

Well I "sing" Santa Baby better than I play it on the piano wink

Well I have an amazing collection of jazzy Christmas stuff now that I just have to get time to know without having to read it. Silver Bells is a crowd pleaser, & that one I have at the tip of my fingers & "Let it Snow" another favourite, & I jazz that up, but I think I have 20 different jazzy versions of "Silent Night" . . . I just gotta learn one. But you have to play them all before you can honesttly know which one is the coolest!!! grin So much great Christmas music out there. Geesh, times have changed!!!

Edited by Diane... (11/12/11 02:47 PM)

#1787670 - 11/12/11 03:47 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Times have changed indeed, since the Pilgrims forbade observing Christmas, by law, as sinful. And it could land you in the stocks.

If they had known about Santa, Baby... well, who knows. And I can only imagine how subversive Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree might have been to a culture that didn't hold with Christmas Trees.

#1787722 - 11/12/11 05:28 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: Jeff Clef]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
Times have changed indeed, since the Pilgrims forbade observing Christmas, by law, as sinful. And it could land you in the stocks.

If they had known about Santa, Baby... well, who knows. And I can only imagine how subversive Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree might have been to a culture that didn't hold with Christmas Trees.

Yes, "Santa Baby" is a bit provocative!!! I have not taught it to any students. But husbands might enjoy their wives singing it to them . . . in their bedrooms. grin I have sung it publicly, so maybe I shouldn't from now on.

I do enjoy jazzy Christmas music though. I love playing it & listening to it!!! My students enjoy playing it too.

Had one student last year play a jazzy Christmas song at his school at an Christmas event. (Any students who could play the piano from his Grade 8 class were asked to perform), just before he was set to play, reading his music, his mom came up to him with her "flash" camera & flashed him right in the eyes. He had to sit back down till he no longer saw the bright light in his eyes. (This is another excellent reason why student's should have Christmas music MEMORIZED. grin

Edited by Diane... (11/12/11 05:42 PM)

#1793540 - 11/21/11 05:54 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
"A Charlie Brown Christmas" easy book arrived today. There are some lovely pieces in this book!!! I already have the piano solo book with same title.

I'll stick with the piano solo book for "Linus and Lucy", and "Skating". Other than that, I'll use the "easy" version. They sound great and are more manageable for me. It also helps having the piano solo book, so I know more how to enhance the "easy" version of "Linus and Lucy" for students.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" is definitely in the favorites category!

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1793609 - 11/21/11 07:55 PM Re: 'Tis the Season [Re: John v.d.Brook]
trublues Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Just wondering how many of you have started students on Christmas or other season music selections? In addition, are there favorites which you keep coming back to year after year?

Wish I had seen this post when you first posted - then maybe I would have started Christmas music a bit sooner. I always wait and then wish I hadn't.

Thanks to everyone for some good suggestions - and to Luke for your reviews and samples. So helpful. I'll order new music tomorrow!

Two of our favorites are:
Carol of the Bells Fantasy, intermediate duet arranged by Robert Vandall;
Go, Tell It on the Mountain, 6 advanced duets arranged by Victor Labenske (the title piece is the best!); and any versions of Charlie Brown Christmas Music.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (ABC Vermonter, Acevle, ajames, AndrewJCW, 44 invisible), 1724 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156312 Topics
2295701 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
20 minutes 11 seconds ago
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
20 minutes 53 seconds ago
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
Today at 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
Today at 03:39 PM
Carrying Bah for Rokit 6 G3 monitors?
by Mta88
Today at 03:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission