Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1786362 - 11/10/11 11:08 AM Linking a DP to several computers with MIDI
Csillag Offline

Loc: Hungary, Europe
Hi,

Question:

Is it possible to have a DP linked to two separate computers via MIDI, so that
- one computer runs Ivory II, and has an USB audio interface (for example, a Presonus AudioBox USB) connected via USB

- an other computer does other stuff with the midi input (where the sound quality is not so important), and sends the resulting audio to the external audio device's line in?

The DP has old-style MIDI output. (not USB).

Can I just daisy-chain the devices with the MIDI cable? (DP -> Ivory box -> Desktop ?)

Or should I channel the MIDI from one computer to the other via an Ethernet connection?

What kind of delay should I expect in either case?

Thank you for explaining:

Csillag

ps. Some explanation:

I am a software engineer, and I run Linux exclusively, on all my machines. (This has practical and moral reasons, which I would not like to detail here; the conclusion is that I despise and abhor Microsoft Windows.)

However, it seems that if I want to run Ivory (which I would really like), then I can not avoid making an exception and tolerating one instance of Windows.

However, I still plan to run all my other DP-related stuff on Linux, so I consider allocating a separate box just to run Ivory, like a HW synth module.

This is why I consider using two computers for the task.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1786383 - 11/10/11 11:41 AM Re: Linking a DP to several computers with MIDI [Re: Csillag]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Hi Csillag.

The way you describe it, your windows computer will only be a receiving device in the MIDI network, whereas the Linux will be a controller, receiving messages from the DP and distributing messages to other (sound generating) devices (as well as its own software sounds?).

I would think you could daisy chain the system as you suggest with no problem. Some musicians report delays when daisy chaining, but it is very very slight and only becomes a problem after several chain links.

However, I use a 'midi patch bay' which has eight inputs and twelve outputs operating in parallel, so there is no daisy chaining delay. It is ancient now - from the 1980's - so I assume there are simpler solutions available now, too.

Regarding ethernet: using that sounds like a very complicated solution if all you are going to be sending is midi data of one sort or another - I think it would be easier to keep it all in the midi domain.

Edited by toddy (11/10/11 11:47 AM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1786386 - 11/10/11 11:46 AM Re: Linking a DP to several computers with MIDI [Re: toddy]
Csillag Offline

Originally Posted By: toddy
The way you describe it, your windows computer will only be a receiving device in the MIDI network,

Yes

Quote:
whereas the Linux will be a controller, receiving messages from the DP

Yes

Quote:
and distributing messages to other (sound generating) devices

Yes, it will (occasionally) control the DP and the Ivory (on the windows box)

Quote:
(as well as its own software sounds?).

Probably, yes.

Quote:

I would think you could daisy chain the system as you suggest with no problem. Some musicians report delays when daisy chaining, but it is very very slight and only becomes a problem after several chain links.

However, I use a 'midi patch bay' which has eight inputs and twelve outputs operating in parallel, so there is no daisy chaining delay. It is ancient now - from the 1980's - so I assume there are simpler solutions available now, too.

OK, I will look into this patch bay thing, too.
Thank you for the idea.

#1786388 - 11/10/11 11:54 AM Re: Linking a DP to several computers with MIDI [Re: Csillag]
Csillag Offline

Now I see that I can use Jack to transfer both midi and audio over the network, and that Jack runs on both Linux and Windows.

If I can get this to work, then
a) instead of using the low-quality, built-in sound device on the linux machine, I can get the sound from the Linux machine to the Windows machine (via NetJack), and then digitally send it to the external audio device in perfect quality.
b) I can also send the MIDI events from one computer to the other, making the hardware MIDI connection unnecessary.

That would be really nice; I can't wait to try. (But I must, since the hardware is not yet in place.)

#1786396 - 11/10/11 12:04 PM Re: Linking a DP to several computers with MIDI [Re: Csillag]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I don't really see the advantage of using a linux computer in your case. I use linux for my personal and work computing, and originally I used it for my DP computer, but eventually I installed windows on that in order to run software pianos. Now I just do all my DP stuff on windows since anything DP related I can do on windows as well as linux so far.

Since you already have a windows computer hooked to your DP, the philosophical objection to using windows doesn't seem to be relevant. What DAW functionality does linux provide that windows does not? Why use two computers when you can use just one?

#1786402 - 11/10/11 12:27 PM Re: Linking a DP to several computers with MIDI [Re: gvfarns]
Csillag Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I don't really see the advantage of using a linux computer in your case.]

I did not expect anyone to see the advantage. I just ask you to accept this as something personal.

Quote:
Since you already have a windows computer hooked to your DP, the philosophical objection to using windows doesn't seem to be relevant.

1. Currently, this is all theory; I have no Windows computer yet.

2. Even if I have to run Windows, I would still feel _much_ better if I can keep it separated, in a quarantine, in a cage. (Ie. no keyboard, no screen, no network connection; just running Ivory II, like a HW module would),

Quote:
What DAW functionality does linux provide that windows does not?

1. I really don't want to connect a Windows computer to my home network, mainly for security reasons.

2. From Linux, besides the DAW functionality, I can access all the other Linux applications available on my home network. (web, email, listening to music, musical scores, music learning software, etc.)

3. Later I can run my (potential) home-brew DP-related applications (which I will develop on Linux, where I do all my development anyway)

Quote:
Why use two computers when you can use just one?

Overall, I would like to limit my (and my kids) exposure to Windows to an absolute minimum, but I still plan to do a lot of fun stuff with the computer and the DP.

Hence the two computers.

But of course I don't want to run two computers.

My first choice would be to run a linux-native virtual piano, but Pianoteq can not convince me (yet), and the rest do not have Linux versions.

My second choice would be running the virtual piano in Wine, but with Ivory II, this is problematic, because of the iLok stuff, among other things.

My third chance would be running a virtualized windows computer (in VirtualBox, or something like that); if will try this, but I am afraid the performance won't be good.

I will only fall back to the "two separate computers" solutions if all other possibilities are exhausted.

But even in this case, the Linux computer will be a very-low consumption, disk-less, fan-less, totally silent thin client, connected to the already existing home server, taking up something like 200 x 200 x 50 mm, running on something like 30W, so that's really no such big deal.

Edited by Csillag (11/10/11 12:33 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, AndresD, 30 invisible), 1606 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293018 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
7 minutes 9 seconds ago
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Today at 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Today at 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
Today at 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
Today at 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission