2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 82 of 540 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Ok, I went to my lesson today. The result is mixed, one up and one down.

Christmas piece - Yey, Merry Christmas to myself that I don't need to study Christmas piece. As I walked in, she was doing another Christmas medley prepared for me and it was very difficult to bring it up. But I did it and I got okay from her. I got lucky. She could not find a piece she really like for me:) Ahhhh I was blessed.

Beethoven - I played through the 2nd movement with a couple of mistakes. She was very pleased with the progress i made. So far so good. But when I said, "Can I move straight to Chopin.. I kinda got tired of Beethoven." It did not go well. She already prepared the fingerings for the whole movement... She said it's probably to finish all of them now since i worked on the 1st and 2nd movement... It's another 3 months with Beethoven before I can start Chopin Ballade #1. grin Don't take me wrong, I think it's a beautiful piece. My teacher is not a quitter for sure.

After Rachmaninoff prelude which will be complete in a couple of weeks, I will start English Suite. I kind of like #2 but I haven't really listened to all of them yet. So I will go buy the score and start listening to it now. It will be fun since I haven't done Bach for a while.

Will we get to hear you in this recital? thumb

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Yes, I am going to record it. I asked my hubby to get out of the house for 2 hours with the dogs on Saturday. Don't expect anything good though. I will give myslef 2 hours and upload the best one.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Well, I don't know if it has been a week or not, but what the heck....

I am enjoying hearing about what everyone is doing - Farm Girl I guess you are happy you don't have to do the Christmas piece and a little bit disappointed you aren't finished with Beethoven....I understand you LIKE Beethoven, you would just like a change for a while!

I forget who - maybe Burt? - said it was a challenge to learn at 35 years of age. Hey, what about those of us who started after 50?? smile Jim is right, just imagine what you'll be able to do when you hit our ages.

Sam - I knew who Chopin was before I started piano, but there are a lot of other composers I had never heard of before coming to this forum. I learn something new almost every day and I have so much exposure to music I might not otherwise ever hear. I am always grateful for the wide range of experiences and tastes in this forum. (One great example of this is that I didn't know Albeniz and Granados and now I just love their music! - So does my husband. )

My piano is hideously out of tune. A combo of the heat being turned on in the middle of October and the rain we've had for the past week. Poor baby. Even my husband, who has never before really noticed the piano going out of tune, has started to comment on it. Tuner is coming on Monday, and if all goes well, I will record for the recital .... I should just squeak in under the wire (I have the advantage of being in an earlier time zone ! smile )

I started playing some Christmas music this week. I still find it a bit tricky to play the full left hand, but I am doing well with just playing chords. I'd like to refine O Holy Night, just for my own satisfaction.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by Lain
Started my first Scriabin piece

smile

These Scriabin pieces are on my (ever increasing) to do list:

Prelude in E minor
Feuillet d'Album (Album Leaf)

A month or so ago, my teacher assigned me Album Leaf to throw me into the deep end of triplets over eighths and eighths over triplets. Almost drove me crazy.. but it feels really good now that I get it. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sam - I knew who Chopin was before I started piano, but there are a lot of other composers I had never heard of before coming to this forum. I learn something new almost every day and I have so much exposure to music I might not otherwise ever hear. I am always grateful for the wide range of experiences and tastes in this forum. (One great example of this is that I didn't know Albeniz and Granados and now I just love their music!

+1 thumb

Oh, there's an idea for a fun game. Naming composers you never heard of before PW (for me, that's the same as saying before taking up piano)

I'll start.

Albeniz, Ginastera, Scriabin, Granados, Burgmuller, Clementi, Attwood, Turk, Prokofiev, Scarlatti (either Domenico or Alessandro), Clara Schumann, Vandall, Medtner, Glinka, Einaudi, Khachaturian, Kuhlau, Gurlitt, Elgar, Diabelli, Franck, MacDowell.

Wow, that's a long list - what an ignoramus! I think the list of composers I'd heard of would be shorter. LOL grin There are many many more if I just look through the excessive pile of music books I've acquired. The above are just folks I've heard of here and acquired recordings of, or composers my teacher has assigned.

Last edited by JimF; 11/10/11 03:03 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AimeeO

smile

Prelude in E minor

A month or so ago, my teacher assigned me Album Leaf to throw me into the deep end of triplets over eighths and eighths over triplets. Almost drove me crazy.. but it feels really good now that I get it. smile

Debussy Arabesque #1 has that too. Have I got it? Yup, right up until I play something that isn't quite right wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A

smile

Prelude in E minor

Debussy Arabesque #1 has that too. Have I got it? Yup, right up until I play something that isn't quite right wink

Oh, I get it enough to play a measure smoothly, but never all 6 measures smoothly in a row! grin

I envy you being able to pull off Arabesque! I'm looking at the music to that one now, and it makes me want to hide under my bed.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

smile

Prelude in E minor

I loooove that piece. It's so peaceful; it makes all problems fade away. I learned the first half page of it a few months ago, but was too lazy to practice those triplets. I have to get back to it. Remind me when I've finished Chopin Ballade no 1, Chopin Prelude in E minor, Chopin Nocturne op 9 no 1 and 2, 3rd movement of moonlight sonata, David Nevue Sweet Dreams and Starlight, Jarrod Radnich's arrangement of Pirate of the Carribean and Chopin Waltz op 64 no 2 (all pieces I have partially completed). That's ADD for you smile

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
O
O
I've been working on Heller's op 47, nr 12. A great little piece, and somehow it really suits me (very rhythmical). When I played it in my lesson last night, it was far from perfect, but my teacher was still very impressed. He told me that I played it exceptionally well, considering that I only started 3 years ago as an adult (at 31). That last part now keeps going through my mind: does he expect less of me than of his younger pupils?

Anyway, my achievement is that my teacher considered that piece to be good enough, so it's off the homework list, and replaced with Heller's 47, nr 22. I'm a bit scared of it, my teacher warned me that it's about the most difficult piece of the book. But tonight I started with the first page, and so far I haven't seen anything that's really difficult. Guess what will be next week's achievement wink

My second achievement: last week I started on Le Petit Nègre. I've managed to get the notes of the first page down, and need to focus on articulation now. Difficult, but doable....Once that is done, I can start focusing on tempo, but that is going to be a battle. I have no idea how I'm ever going to get it up to speed while maintaining proper articulation and dynamics.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to clear my mind!

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Oudeis, I heard Le Petit Negre for the first time in June - what a delightful piece - have fun with it.

JimF- I like your game!

Let me modify your list and and some of my own...The ones I have crossed out, I still don't know the ones in pink, I already knew.

Albeniz, Ginastera, Scriabin, Granados, Burgmuller, Clementi, Attwood, Turk, Prokofiev, Scarlatti (either Domenico or Alessandro)(ah, an Alessandro you say?, Clara Schumann, Vandall, Medtner, Glinka, Einaudi, Khachaturian, Kuhlau, Gurlitt, Elgar, Diabelli, Franck, MacDowell.
A few more...Rousseau, Kabalevsky, Bartok.

Last edited by casinitaly; 11/10/11 05:31 PM.

[Linked Image]

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
JimF and CAS,
I am liking the game as well.

Here's mine.

Still donno list:
Albeniz, Attwood, Turk, Alessandro Scarlatti, Diabelli, Vandall, Glinka, Einaudi, Elgar, Kuhlau, Glinka, Kuhlau, Gurlitt, Elgar, Diabelli, MacDowell, Rousseau,Vandall,

Heard on the forum:
Ginastera, Medtner, Einaudi,

Already knew before I joined:
Scriabin, Granados, Burgmuller, Clementi, Prokofiev, Domenico Scarlatti, Clara Schumann, Khachaturian, Franck, Kabalevsky, Bartok

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
I loooove that piece. It's so peaceful; it makes all problems fade away. I learned the first half page of it a few months ago, but was too lazy to practice those triplets. I have to get back to it.

Yeah, well my version isn't quite that relaxing ... it so happened that it was playing on the radio when I came back from work and I was reminded just how far I have to go!!

Remind me when I've finished Chopin Ballade no 1, Chopin Prelude in E minor, Chopin Nocturne op 9 no 1 and 2, 3rd movement of moonlight sonata, David Nevue Sweet Dreams and Starlight, Jarrod Radnich's arrangement of Pirate of the Carribean and Chopin Waltz op 64 no 2 (all pieces I have partially completed). That's ADD for you smile

That's how I used to be (not with pieces this advanced): That's one of the reasons I needed a teacher - to keep me on the straight and narrow! wink

Kawai K3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
JimF,

Before I signed up for PW and started to learn piano, I was soo ignorant about classic music. I found it also a bit intimidating.

I learned so much about classic composers since then, but I don't know for sure where I picked up the names. It could be here, but also from listening to the radio in the car. Or from my teachers. And even from my collegues of work.

To be sure my list would be everything I know, except for Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms. Those composers I knew before PW.

SwissMS,

If you manage to communicate rather decent in your new language with your teacher after being confused by counting and scales, then I would call it an achievement.

I remember my first spanish piano teacher. When I messed something up in my first year, I couldn't even speak the simpliest english words. That was quite emberrassing.

I hope you do fine saturday with counting and scales.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Yeah, well my version isn't quite that relaxing ... it so happened that it was playing on the radio when I came back from work and I was reminded just how far I have to go!!

I'm sure your version is excellent. You said the same thing about the Chopin Waltz you did for a previous ABF recital and it was beautiful, so I have no doubt I'd love hearing it. I definitely see the benefit of being your harshest critic though; there's always room for improvement.

That's how I used to be (not with pieces this advanced): That's one of the reasons I needed a teacher - to keep me on the straight and narrow! wink

I'm in the process of finding a teacher. I've been told that credentials do not necessarily make a good teacher, so even though I'm in touch with a highly credentialed pianist, I'm keeping my mind open. I'm looking for someone to not only teach, but to inspire me and open my eyes to possibilities I've never imagined.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

I should have listed Kabelevsky too. Rousseau? Wasn't he a famous philosopher wink?

Alessandro Scarlatti was Domenico's daddy. The son appears to be the more prolific composer, at least for keyboard. Daddy wrote the short aria I've been working on.

I could have also listed all the Bachs not named Johan Sebastian! And there's a bunch of em.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just got back from a great lesson. My teacher assigned to me Satie's first Gymnopedie. I 3hearts this piece so much. I hope that I can make it sound good. She also had me start on Burgmuller's Ballade. It seems like it will be great fun to play.
Fur Elise is coming along very nicely too. yippie

Just this week I received the music that I will be playing with a cellist. My part is quite easy, but the piece is really beautiful (if you like minimalist music). I have pasted a link to a wonderful youtube clip of it. Of course, we will never sound as remarkable as this, but it will be awfully fun trying!!!!

http://youtu.be/E-t5Nk49yZs

Last edited by GlassLove; 11/11/11 04:31 PM.

Christine

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by GlassLove
I just got back from a great lesson. My teacher assigned to me Satie's first Gymnopedie. I 3hearts this piece so much. I hope that I can make it sound good. She also had me start on Burgmuller's Ballade. It seems like it will be great fun to play.
Fur Elise is coming along very nicely too. yippie

Just this week I received the music that I will be playing with a cellist. My part is quite easy, but the piece is really beautiful (if you like minimalist music). I have pasted a link to a wonderful youtube clip of it. Of course, we will never sound as remarkable as this, but it will be awfully fun trying!!!!

http://youtu.be/E-t5Nk49yZs

I had a quick discussion with my teacher about what pieces to start on after our recitcal is done (so basically in a couple of weeks). We had already decided on Rameau's Gavotte & Variations (her suggestion). I then told her two easier pieces that I had always wanted to play - Gymnopedie #1 and Fur Elise. So we'll be doing two of the same pieces smile smile

I wondered if my teacher would be fed up with Fur Elise but she said, in fact, only one of her students has done it. She cautioned me that the hardest part would be "making it my own" because everyone knows it. But people only really know the 'easy bit' wink

Kawai K3
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is it necessary to make a piece different from how everyone else plays it?

Or is that not what your teacher was implying about making it your own?

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 11/11/11 05:26 PM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Christine,

Burgmuller's Ballade is fun to play. Falls easy under the fingers if I remember right and lots of room to be dramatic.
Gymnopedie is on my to-do list for some time in the future.

The piece with the cellist sounds like a great way to work on keeping a rock steady tempo. Should be fun.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Cheryl,

I should have listed Kabelevsky too. Rousseau? Wasn't he a famous philosopher wink?

Rousseau was indeed a philosopher, but he did compose. I have played his "Village Prophet"!

Christine, your duet is going to be marvellous. I see it is 8 minutes! Yikes! That's a long piece. I do hope you'll share a recording with us.

[Linked Image]

Page 82 of 540 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission