2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Z
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Possibly ok for lubrication or friction reduction, but not to stabilise the key action which is what often seems to be implied.

Well, to be honnest, AFAIK, I am the only one that made the assumption that the "guidance" / "firmness" has slightly improved, or was varying from one casio "floor" model to another one (depending on "how" they are used/ageed ?). So this is not a "fact", just my personnal assumption. If someone can confirm this impression, then we will have the beginning of a clue, but by now, this i not the case, even for me (I am far from an expert (rather the opposite wink ), so my perception is absolutely not reliable, even if I try to make my own opinion based on my own testing).

Last edited by zack!; 11/11/11 09:05 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
James, thank you for your comments on Classical vs. Modern piano. I'll keep my eye out for a PX-330 to investigate further.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just got around to reading the report and saw the slide show. Excellent! Thanks.

One thing that surprised me, there didn't seem to be much traffic. The Messe over here is a zoo.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Z
Z
Originally Posted by zack!
James,
Concerning AvantGrandN1, do you feel the "sound presence" like a real piano ? I mean, does powerful, specialized speakers, and localization of sources, is more important to your ear compare to "depht / richness" of sound engine ? Do you "feel" the resonance in the box, do you feel vibration on your fingers ?

Well, I have no accoustic piano at home to test, but in my memory, if you sustain a powerfull chord, you have the feeling that the sound is "moving all along the box (like waves or turning sounds)". I don't kwow how to explain, they are repeated "variations" in time (at Hz and sub Hz frequency). More on the medium and the bass I believe.
I don't know if it is related to "reflections" in the box (that means that the box (size and material) and localization of sound emitters matters), or this is simple "resonance" betweens all the vibrating harmonics of every chords, so polyphonies of samples are suffiscient to give the same effect with a DP ?

Last edited by zack!; 11/11/11 09:41 AM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by Kawai James
the rep I spoke to mentioned that the N1 did actually utilise a newer CFX sample set.

It'd be nice to have that confirmed on Yamaha's brochures and webpages. You'd think that would be the 2nd thing they'd mention after the action - or the 3rd thing after the speaker system.

I don't think anyone can mistake the sound of the CFX for the CF-IIIS, and as Kawai James had recently played the N3, I'd have thought he'd immediately notice the difference if the N1 he played used CFX samples. Certainly, the (new) N1 on display in the London store that I visited recently used CF-IIIS samples and sounded identical (via headphones) to the old N3 there.

And.....I'm pretty sure that Yamaha would shout it from the skies if they had a DP on display that used CFX samples, probably even more than they did for the real CFX acoustic grand during its launch last year.

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
S
Thank you James for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ah, I was rather hoping you'd step in and say "Well, it just so happens that Zachery Forbes sent me a recording of his N1 yesterday..."

No luck so far though, huh?

No such luck. Though I am sitting on a few samples, just need to find some time to review them.

ps. Did you like the CP1 caption - I added that in there just for you! wink

Ha ha, thanks!

And thanks too for the Casio key grease bombshell. I can't keep up with all of the exciting new developments in DP technology. wink

Z
Z
Originally Posted by dewster

And thanks too for the Casio key grease bombshell. I can't keep up with all of the exciting new developments in DP technology. wink

Why are you sarcastic? It is important to know. I am a newcomer in this forum, but every one told me DP were std and stable, so reliable and trustworthy. And may be this is not true, I need to know... We are talking about object that cost hundreds or thousands of euros and people will go with for several years. And anyway, mechanical and physics are also important technical aspects. Do you know if your DP need grease, or engineers could avoid using it in your DP ? Do you know if you so beloved "key action" will be stable with time ?

Yes, the keys require lubrication.

The sarcasm in dewster's phrase "exciting new developments in DP technology" is quite apt.

Pianos change very little over time. Most of the "innovation" is in the marketing terminology, while little is done to improve the pianos.

So a new kind of lubricant is about as exciting a development as we've seen in the past ten years. frown

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
... every one told me DP were std and stable ...

Some would say too stable.

I think what many of us are looking for is a blend of DP and PC technology: the large unlooped and unstretched sample sets of PC pianos, coupled with the blended layers, key resonance, half-pedaling, and overall integration of Digital pianos. It's entirely possible to do this now, particularly with fast cheap processors, exceedingly cheap DRAM, and Flash memory nearing $1USD/GB (retail) - but for whatever reason you won't find this even in the super high-end DPs (AvantGrand, etc.). So if you want the best sound you have to DIY, which is nuts.

Gonna build one? When will mine be ready? smile

Z
Z
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yes, the keys require lubrication.

You are sure this is always required, or this is your assumption ?
And the point with casio DP was about "wriggling" or "loose" keys, and their degradation with ageing. So adding lubrication will not help (except if lubricant (or absence of) nibble keys, that then begin to wriglle).

Pianos change very little over time. Most of the "innovation" is in the marketing terminology, while little is done to improve the pianos.

Well strange, this is not my perception. But this maybe because I am a newbie, and I learned a lot of (old) innovation quickly...
Nevertheless, just during my research (a couple of month), I have seen many changes : new kawai CL-36, new roland f-120, rp301, new korg-sp170, new casio pX-135. Perhaps there is no innovation in these models, but the entry level offering has completly changed, even without innovation.
So buying is something difficult for newbie, looks like everythings is changing, and you don't know what changes really matter.

But ok, I understand better the post (sorry I have no background, and this is not my native language, so sometime, I mistake)...

Last edited by zack!; 11/11/11 07:12 PM.
OP Offline
Do it dewster!

An MP10 with one of these mounted inside would really hit the spot!

[Linked Image]

http://www.techspot.com/review/447-intel-dh61ag-apple-glen-mini-itx/

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
... every one told me DP were std and stable ...

Some would say too stable.

I think what many of us are looking for is a blend of DP and PC technology: the large unlooped and unstretched sample sets of PC pianos, coupled with the blended layers, key resonance, half-pedaling, and overall integration of Digital pianos. It's entirely possible to do this now, particularly with fast cheap processors, exceedingly cheap DRAM, and Flash memory nearing $1USD/GB (retail) - but for whatever reason you won't find this even in the super high-end DPs (AvantGrand, etc.). So if you want the best sound you have to DIY, which is nuts.

Or spend a small fortune buying the V-piano.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
Z
Z

Ok, we cross post !
I get it. I agree with you, the convergence between computer and DP should be very quick, considering the value / cost ratio.
My current understanding, is that big brand are in monopoly , and agree (its easy they are 3) to not destroy their high end DP models and AP too quickly, to protect their margin/ profits.

Last edited by zack!; 11/11/11 07:23 PM.
What's holding this back?

I think these good ideas cost money. But would people pay more money for pianos with the extra benefits? If not, the extra cost would just serve to reduce profitability.

One way or the other, Yamaha knows. Roland knows. Kawai knows. (It's their job to know.)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Do it dewster!

An MP10 with one of these mounted inside would really hit the spot!

Sweet! I've certainly got my eye on the FM1 socketed AMDs, and my next build will be mini-ITX. The hardware is pretty easy and cheap now. Not sure I'd go the Intel processor (or Intel in AMD's clothes) route for a DP though - grabbing the PC tiger by the tail can be difficult for corporations peddling highly integrated embedded solutions.

And this isn't something easily done by an outsider - it would take years to develop algorithms for key resonance, half pedaling, etc. - stuff DP manufacturers like Kawai can just pull off the shelf and whip out. The falling-off-a-log solution here is for Kawai to build an unlooped MP10 - I'm baffled why something like that doesn't currently exist.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
So if you want the best sound you have to DIY, which is nuts.

Or spend a small fortune buying the V-piano.

Hmm. I think pure modeling is certainly getting there. But until it completely does, I'd prefer a good sample of the real thing, with "modeled" elements like key resonance, etc.

Z
Z
What's holding this back?

I think these good ideas cost money. But would people pay more money for pianos with the extra benefits? If not, the extra cost would just serve to reduce profitability.

One way or the other, Yamaha knows. Roland knows. Kawai knows. (It's their job to know.)

Well, if I were Roland, not positioned in the [5000€ .. 50000€] of acoustic piano, I would like to sell an high-end DP, something that can compete in term of quality, but that cost me less, so I invest in sound generation. In term of production cost : 300€ for a keyboard, 300€ for an embedded computer, 300€ for amplification and speakers => A V-piano for 1000€ to manufacture, and target 5000€ as selling point. I enter the market with a stage piano, and then I try to compete with "regular" accoustic.

If I were yamaha or kawai, I would want to be positionned in DP market, to control the dirsuptive digital technology, that can ruin my accoustic profits (so protect my future). But, well, I would remain non agressive with my AP line to protect my present revenues (not cannibalize my product with margin). At the contrary, I would accept to lower my margin on low to mid level product, to empech my challenger in disruptive technology, to growth, and stay "blocked" in between in a nich market.

So probably, this "balance" of power slow down the adavance of thechnology. Everybody knows how they can beat, and be beaten back. So if every body stay "calm", and don't attack, and everbody can make its money, and "balance" stay stable.

Mean time, every body in the piano forum, knows the game has changed, buy a cheap DP, and add cheap SW Piano to DYI their innovative DP...

Last edited by zack!; 11/11/11 09:11 PM.
Z
Z

And this isn't something easily done by an outsider - it would take years to develop algorithms for key resonance, half pedaling, etc. - stuff DP manufacturers like Kawai can just pull off the shelf and whip out. The falling-off-a-log solution here is for Kawai to build an unlooped MP10 - I'm baffled why something like that doesn't currently exist.

I think Yamaha and Kawai have the technology, but they don't wan't to move, except being forced. They get ready to counter strike, but only if necessary...

Last edited by zack!; 11/11/11 09:16 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission