Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1788618 - 11/14/11 07:48 AM Headphones for digital piano!
kenken Offline

Loc: Australia
I need to buy a new headphone for my CLP340 and I don't know which one to choose. I have Roland RH 200 which i have just bought 2 days ago and I DON'T LIKE THE SOUND!!!
Can anybody gives me suggestions?My max price range is around $200 laugh

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1788624 - 11/14/11 08:01 AM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
This is a topic that has been discussed here many times ... and also quite recently. smile

I bought the Sennheiser HD 598's a few months ago and am very happy with them. I also bought the AKG 240 MKII's which cost less and are just as good.

An important criteria to consider - easily replaceable cords and pads. I just recycled a few sets simply because a wire broke. The headphones I mentioned have replaceable cables and pads.

Whatever you buy, try them first. The stores that charge a little more will usually let you take them home for a few days to try. Borrow a set from a friend and test it out. Don't buy without first trying.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1788712 - 11/14/11 10:52 AM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Those two are great recommendations. I have the Sennheiser HD 595's and they are amazing. I'm beginning to believe that no speakers will ever sound as good as these headphones.

If I was to get a second pair I'd get the AKG 240 MK2's or maybe step up my game and get the AKG 701 or 702.

I'm not so sure about needing to try them out. I think you can buy any of these blind and you will be happy. They all sound great and it's not like a piano where you have to get used to the action. Personal feelings on the matter: buy at the cheapest place possible (probably Amazon).

Edited by gvfarns (11/14/11 10:54 AM)

#1788754 - 11/14/11 12:21 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
You can buy them blind, so long as you can return them if they aren't to your liking. I've had to do that at least once with headphones. I will put in a vote for the "mid-priced" Sennheisers. I've had my HD 580s and HD 600s for more than a decade. Love the sound. Use them nearly every day. I assume the models that replace my headphones are as good, though I haven't tried them.

Edited by kippesc (11/14/11 12:23 PM)

#1788815 - 11/14/11 01:52 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: Dave Horne]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
This is a topic that has been discussed here many times ... and also quite recently. smile

I bought the Sennheiser HD 598's a few months ago and am very happy with them. I also bought the AKG 240 MKII's which cost less and are just as good

There are two basic kinds of headphone. First decide which you need.

1) "open" headphones like the K240 have the best sound for a given price point but they "leak" sound. that means they don't block a noisy TV set playing and also if you record sound from your headphones can leak into a nearby open Mic. But if it a quiet in your practice room and you don't have any mic's open you get the best sound for any budget

2) Closed. These block sound in both directions but cost more to make. The technical problem is that the back sides of the diaphragm have to deal with compressing air inside the ear cups.

This is how the open type K240 at $99 can sound as good as others that cost $250.

The K240 have become an industry standard for engineers in recording studios. I've owned a pair for about 30 years I'd get this first because of the low price and quality and the replaceable cord and earpads.

I use the K240 most of the time but when I need closed headphones I have a pair of cheap $50 closed ones. I use them for example if my daughter wants to record vocals, she can listen to the guide track and monitor and not have that feedback into the mic. We don't care about audiophile quality for that.

#1788821 - 11/14/11 02:04 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
TheGlassPassenger Offline

Loc: UK
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 555 open ear headphones. Because background noise is not a problem for me, I've found these to be absolutely wonderful.

When background noise IS a problem for me I pull out my trusty Shure 210 earphones.

#1788838 - 11/14/11 02:16 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kippesc]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
kippesc said it all: You can buy them blind, so long as you can return them if they aren't to your liking.

Some vendors online are generous in this respect. Others not.

You could try buying in a store, but good luck with ...
- Limited selection of phones
or
- Lots of phones, but only a few can be tried ... with the rest locked up out of reach

- Limited equipment with which to test the phones, possibly limited to a Muzak kiosk

#1788840 - 11/14/11 02:19 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Most mail-order places exclude headphones from their usual return privileges. Just as well, I'm happier knowing the ones I buy haven't been worn by someone with cooties.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1788855 - 11/14/11 02:36 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Amazon let me return phones. They even pre-paid the return shipping.
B&H in New York, likewise.
Anyway, returns cannot be re-sold as new.

#1789296 - 11/15/11 05:27 AM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I bought my second pair (for my DP) 'blind' based purely on reviews and recommendations (- and the fact it was offered at half-price), the Grado SR 325is, and it's now superseded my AKG K271 MkII which I'd been using with my DP since I bought it (it was given thrown in free with the DP).

I've just discovered that the Grado 325 has won the HiFi magazine award for 'Best Headphones 2011'......

#1789308 - 11/15/11 06:20 AM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
You should bear in mind that many of the newer headphones are colored. This is to make people happy. Most prevalent is boosted bass. The K240 MKII's I had heard were like this. The K240's...not MKII are not this way. I bought a pair of the plain K240's. I'm happy with them. Seem to be close to flat. Real...

#1789312 - 11/15/11 06:36 AM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: bennevis
I've just discovered that the Grado 325 has won the HiFi magazine award for 'Best Headphones 2011'......

Grados are very good, but I find them a little bit savage in the upper frequencies - too bright for my taste. The 325 is quite a way up their range and is better in this respect. Many of the Grados sit right on your ears and they are excruciating after 20 mins or so.

Sennheiser HD 600 (very good) or 650 (better) or AKG-701 (what I use) are very much more comfortable than Grados for longer listening.

#1789535 - 11/15/11 03:24 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
DeTrun Offline

Loc: Belgium
Audio-Technica AD700 would be the usual recommendation, it doesn't require an external amp.

I'd also recommend the Superlux HD668b, they're quite cheap (30 euro's in Europe), but sound quality is on par with AD700 and other $100-headphones (AKG k240) + it has a detachable cable. It sounds relatively balanced too. Haven't heard the HD598, but from what I've read, it seems to be a nice option.

Also, deciding between closed or open headphones is important (see ChrisA's post). AD700 = open, HD668b = semi-open.

Going the AKG k701/Sennheiser HD650/Beyer DT880-route would require an external amp.

Grado's for piano? They're known for their aggressive sound (aggressive high freq), so I'd think they're not suitable for piano, but I haven't heard them.

#1789538 - 11/15/11 03:34 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
lechuan Offline

I bought the Sennheiser HD 598's based on recommendations here. Very comfortable and I love the open sound (first pair of open headphones). They're very comfortable and have a nice flat response. B&H sells them in your price range once you add them to cart.

#1789546 - 11/15/11 03:41 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm a big Sennheiser fan. The '598 was my "gateway drug" and more recently I'm a HD650 addict. They sound very fine with Garritan Steinway from my MIDI keyboard but listening to well recorded piano music from a real artist on them is just exquisite.

Some of Richard Goode's recordings of Chopin and Beethoven are favorites of mine and I deeply love the Mozart piano concertos that Goode recorded with the Orpheus.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1789568 - 11/15/11 04:28 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: Brent H]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
BrentH, I take it from your wording that you find the HD650 substantially better sounding than the '598, then?

I've kink of been wondering about this and whether you actually get any extra value for the extra money or whether it's just "different" rather than better.

Edited by gvfarns (11/15/11 04:29 PM)

#1789576 - 11/15/11 04:42 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mine are actually the HD595 but I doubt they're totally different than the '598. The HD650 is much more "real" sounding on things like piano or orchestra or jazz music. Not sure exactly what that entails but I never really lost track of the fact the music was coming through headphones with the HD595. After a couple minutes the HD650 just disappears and it feels like being there. Really, really.

That said, the brighter presentation with the '595 does give at least the sensation of hearing more detail. If by "detail" we're talking sibilance and mechanical piano noises and such. But I think I could get that detail with the HD650 by just cranking up the treble knob a bit. But I like the slightly darker balance of the higher end Sennheiser headphones, personally.

It really is apples and oranges. Over on the headphone forums you'll occasionally see someone who like the 595/598 type of tonal balance better than the 600/650 "veil". I can see how someone might like that but not me.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1789577 - 11/15/11 04:43 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

650s are my all time favorite, and I owned the Qualias, AKG K1000s and several other notable cans. They do, however, require proper amping. I used to run them in balanced mode on a Ray Samuels balanced amp.

My current headphones, and definitely my favorite closed headphones, are the Sony MDR 7520s.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (11/15/11 05:17 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1789586 - 11/15/11 04:59 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yeah the headphone jack on my laptop literally makes the HD650 sound like a blown speaker. I use a pretty basic Asgard headamp.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1789600 - 11/15/11 05:20 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: kenken]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
HD 650s are very nice 'phones.

#1789728 - 11/15/11 09:47 PM Re: Headphones for digital piano! [Re: Brent H]
DeTrun Offline

Loc: Belgium
Originally Posted By: Brent H
Mine are actually the HD595 but I doubt they're totally different than the '598. The HD650 is much more "real" sounding on things like piano or orchestra or jazz music. Not sure exactly what that entails but I never really lost track of the fact the music was coming through headphones with the HD595. After a couple minutes the HD650 just disappears and it feels like being there. Really, really.

That said, the brighter presentation with the '595 does give at least the sensation of hearing more detail. If by "detail" we're talking sibilance and mechanical piano noises and such. But I think I could get that detail with the HD650 by just cranking up the treble knob a bit. But I like the slightly darker balance of the higher end Sennheiser headphones, personally.

It really is apples and oranges. Over on the headphone forums you'll occasionally see someone who like the 595/598 type of tonal balance better than the 600/650 "veil". I can see how someone might like that but not me.

Just wanted to say:
- Sennheiser is known to have a quite (too) dark sound signature. The HD555/HD595/HD650 are pretty much dark in comparison to, for example, Grado's/most headphones. This does make it easier for long term listening.
- The HD598 is the newer version, an "upgrade" of HD595. It has been said that they are less dark than the usual Sennheiser signature, being more balanced.

So if you're considering the HD555/HD595, I'd go with HD598.

Oh, and the Alessandro MS1 is also an option.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (AtomicBond, Atrys, AZNpiano, Beemer, 16 invisible), 1148 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253471 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
51 minutes 0 seconds ago
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
Today at 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
Today at 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
Today at 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission