2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have a problem with practicing and a husband who insists I'm too loud. I wonder it this device works.

I have an elec. keyboard in another room, but it is only useful for working out fingering and familiarizing with the piece.

Help -- I'm ready to hang a folded blanket behind the piano to keep peace in the house. Right now, I have to wait til he leaves the house, which is never for more than ten minutes at a time. I don't have a neighbor with a piano I can run to either.

L
L
How much can you two spend so that the piano's not "too loud"?

$7000? Get an AvantGrand N1 (Real Grand Action). My wife and I both play the piano, so we needed two digital pianos so we can practice at the same time. We live in an apartment, so didn't want to bug the neighbors too much (especially since we sometimes practice early morning or late at night). She plays more advanced classical pieces, so the AvantGrand was a perfect fit for her.

$100. QuietKeys. I never tried it out, but it looks like a system to insert felt between the hammer and the strings. I imagine it would work, but looks like it would make it a challenge to work on dynamics and intonation without much audible feedback.

$0.50? Earplugs for your husband. A pair of cheap foam earplugs will reduce the sound he hears by 30dB.

I also checked into the price of soundproofing a room, and it was cheaper and less hassle to get the avantgrand.

I hope you're able to find a "middle-of-the-road" compromise with your husband that equally respects both your needs.

Last edited by lechuan; 11/14/11 05:58 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by riley80
I have a problem with practicing and a husband who insists I'm too loud. I wonder it this device works.

I have an elec. keyboard in another room, but it is only useful for working out fingering and familiarizing with the piece.

Help -- I'm ready to hang a folded blanket behind the piano to keep peace in the house. Right now, I have to wait til he leaves the house, which is never for more than ten minutes at a time. I don't have a neighbor with a piano I can run to either.

If my wife was as rude to me, I'd get a divorce. Seriously.

B
B
Originally Posted by Gary D.

If my wife was as rude to me, I'd get a divorce. Seriously.

That makes an Avante Grand sound like a positive bargain wink

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
"$100. QuietKeys. I never tried it out, but it looks like a system to insert felt between the key and the strings. I imagine it would work, but looks like it would make it a challenge to work on dynamics and intonation without much audible feedback."

Can I buy this online? Do you know which website?

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
L
L
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Can I buy this online? Do you know which website?

http://www.pppkeys.com/

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks, a lot of my students will benefit from this if they buy and install at their piano at home.
Unfortunately, this is only for upright, not for grand piano.
Thanks again

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lechuan
$100. QuietKeys. I never tried it out, but it looks like a system to insert felt between the hammer and the strings. I imagine it would work, but looks like it would make it a challenge to work on dynamics and intonation without much audible feedback.

You might be interested to learn that most European made uprights come with "quiet keys" already installed. The middle pedal engages a felt strip which drops between the hammer and strings. It works very well. My Souter has it.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
M

R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What am I doing which you construe as rude? I am only trying to appease him and still get more practice in.

M
M

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
What am I doing which you construe as rude? I am only trying to appease him and still get more practice in.
I understood them to mean that your husband was being rude to you (by complaining about your practising).

Du holde Kunst...
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

You misunderstood me. I was talking about your husband being rude. But maybe you live in a very small place and have a very loud piano! laugh

R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sorry - I should've have said I don't have a grand.

R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I jumped to my usual defensive conclusion. Sorry.

It's not that he hates a piano, but hearing the same over and over sends him over his edge. He has a hearing loss too and is sensitive to loud noises. He just doesn't understand my repeated playing of certain passages to get some fingerings into my mind and hand.

I wonder if that blanket WOULD work....hmmm.

R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
He just doesn't get it. I am a paid accompanist and don't want to lose the job, so I try to give it my all.

I misread the comment - I am by nature very defensive.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Enroll your husband in some type of course that has him out of the house more. Call his buddies and ask them to invite him out.

M
M
For an upright, if the blanket and curtains and such are not satisfactory, I'd go with QuietKeys.

L
L
Seriously, would your husband consider wearing foam earplugs? They're cheap and are great at cutting out noise.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O

Why not get a good quality digital piano? You can either turn the volume down, or play using headphones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission