Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1789072 - 11/14/11 09:16 PM Independent pedal usage
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

[Deleted]

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1789075 - 11/14/11 09:24 PM Re: Triple (or, independent) pedal placement [Re: pv88]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Many thanks for this. I think I will file under the heading "bleedin' obvious". If you have any other insightful nuggets to share such as your revelation that breathing in is invariably useful after breathing out do please let us know.

#1789091 - 11/14/11 09:35 PM Re: Triple (or, independent) pedal placement [Re: pv88]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
The harshness

#1789092 - 11/14/11 09:37 PM Re: Triple (or, independent) pedal placement [Re: pv88]
lechuan Offline

What?

#1789096 - 11/14/11 09:40 PM Re: Triple (or, independent) pedal placement [Re: LesCharles73]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LesCharles73
The harshness

I know. Bad day. And I am a little bit sorry.

But still, I think we should acknowledge the wisdom on offer...the middle pedal is in the, wait for it, yes, the MIDDLE OF THE PIANO!! Amazing ain't it!?

And now he's gone and deleted his post and changed the title of the thread. How will people find the best placement for their pedals now? I suppose they could just put them somewhere near their feet - but this would be risky.

Edited by EssBrace (11/14/11 09:46 PM)

#1789130 - 11/14/11 10:12 PM Re: Independent pedal usage [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ha, ha, ha... very funny comments, as usual.

Don't follow my advice and see what happens 10 years down the road when your back starts acting up to where you can't bend over to tie your own shoe laces, and, you have lost both arms/hands due to carpal tunnel or focal dystonia.

Can't run back to mommy then, can you?

#1789205 - 11/14/11 11:09 PM Re: Independent pedal usage [Re: pv88]
lechuan Offline

I don't know what is happening here, but the OP sounds like it was interesting.

#1789215 - 11/14/11 11:36 PM Re: Independent pedal usage [Re: pv88]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
I hope PV88 reposts his original topic. While the middle pedal does in fact reside under the center of the piano, few people are aware of how far back from the keys it should be. I have wondered on occasion how far offset my sustain pedal should be, as it's the only thing I use (minus an occasional expression pedal). I understand that EssBrace had a bad day but I can also wrap my mind around the fact that the deleted information could be useful for a beginner or long-time digital-only player.

Edited by LesCharles73 (11/14/11 11:41 PM)

#1789238 - 11/15/11 12:27 AM Re: Independent pedal usage [Re: LesCharles73]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: LesCharles73
I hope PV88 reposts his original topic. While the middle pedal does in fact reside under the center of the piano, few people are aware of how far back from the keys it should be. I have wondered on occasion how far offset my sustain pedal should be, as it's the only thing I use (minus an occasional expression pedal). I understand that EssBrace had a bad day but I can also wrap my mind around the fact that the deleted information could be useful for a beginner or long-time digital-only player.

These are approximate measurements, because it's after 11 pm CST and I don't own a plumb bob.

On a 2005 Steinway B, from the center (back) of the sostenuto to the center (back) of the sustain pedal, the measurement is approximately 2 3/8 inches. But the front of the sustain pedal flares out. So, from the center (front) of the sostenuto to the center (front) of the sustain, the measurement is approximately 3 1/4 inches.

The front of the sustain pedal sets back approximately 10 inches from the front edge of the white keys.

#1789243 - 11/15/11 12:46 AM Re: Independent pedal usage [Re: LesCharles73]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@LesCharles73:

Here is a summary, regarding the pedals...*

1) Distance of pedals with a triple pedal box:

Average distance from the front edge of piano to the front tip of the middle pedal should be between 8 and 10 inches, as various makes of acoustic grands may vary slightly from one model to another. Nine (9) inches would mark the average standard distance.

You can set the correct distance by laying a yard stick (or, ruler) to the front tip of your pedal, then look down vertically just beyond the front edge of the piano to see the 9 inch mark. Move your pedal/ruler until matched up.

2) Left/right placement of a triple pedal box:

Since the center of any 88-note piano or keyboard is the "space" between the two notes E and F above middle C, the middle pedal of any triple pedal box should be in exact alignment with this space.

You can stand at a slight distance from your piano with your eyes set on the two notes E and F (above middle C), and, look down to align your middle pedal with the space between those two notes.

*Now, if you are only using an independent sustain pedal, then you can align the pedal with the space between notes B and C, which are one octave higher than middle C.

Extra note:

It is always best to keep your pedal (or, pedals) at the standard distance and then adjust your own sitting habits with the bench, until you find the most comfortable position for playing.

#1789311 - 11/15/11 06:31 AM Re: Independent pedal usage [Re: pv88]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

But you didn't say anything about the average AP distance from the front of the keys to the front of the pedals in your original post. So where have you got this figure from now?

In your original post you said in your lengthy essay that the relevant distance on your Casio was 7". Then you said the middle pedal, was, er, in the middle (from left to right).

I take it you are trying to establish the optimum placement for your V-Piano pedals? The advantage these pedals have is that you can compensate for your own physiology - short legs, long legs, longer arms requiring a more distant seating position etc etc. What is comfortable will be what is right.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
64 registered (Akshay, beeboss, Aucha, ando, adultpianist, 16 invisible), 1124 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153570 Topics
2250690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On Temperament strip tuning, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission