Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1789622 - 11/15/11 05:44 PM Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130
maxpancho Offline

Hi, guys. I apologize if there were already many threads comparing these two models. But in most of them the whole bunch of different charestics were part of consideration for people. Whereas I am more concerned about key action only, I don't really care about the sound. At a pinch, I could use VSTs.

I need a keyboard which would serve for practicing purposes (I'm only going to take up piano for the first time). So I need it to be as close to real piano's action as possible, so that I could transfer more easily to a real one later, possibly (if I get serious enough with piano and decide to get a real acoustic one).

So which one of these (or maybe you can advise something in the same price range <550$) would suit me better? Thank you.

Edited by maxpancho (11/15/11 07:34 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1789632 - 11/15/11 06:00 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I haven't played the P85, but I do prefer the feel of the replacement P95 over the PX130. OTOH, some people are going to say Yamaha and some are going to say Casio. Neither deals a total knockout blow to the other. So all you can do is try them yourself and see which you like better.

#1789648 - 11/15/11 06:39 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
zack! Offline

Loc: france
Actually some DP action may be marked more "realistic" than others on average, but you should also know that accoustic piano action differ from one to another.And also, when people says, I prefer this one, or this one, it is because they got used to one action feel, and if they like it, they will try to keep the same feeling. So this is a relative judgment...

Note also that you cannot completly dissociate the action you feel, and the sound connection you hear. The perception of touch and control is a "key action / sound reaction" process.

What make a touch realistic :
- a realistic "weight" of the key (resistance to pressure)
- a graded hammer touch (so left are heavier than right keys)
- the touch of ivory
- the stability (guidance) of the key in its strike axis
- [the parasite sound of the key mechanism motions]
- [the parasite friction of the key the mechanism]
- [the shock wave absoption of the hammer fall on the key, and final key stop of the key]

Then there is a progression/dynamic in feeling :
- a resistance when pushing, you create momentum, the hammer enter in motion
- [eventually something]
- then the resistance disappear, the hammer is disconnected of the key and throwed to the string (the calm on your finger)
- then you bottom to a stop : violent halt against a thick damper
- and then you have the fall of the hammer on the key, that give you a backward force, that pull back the key (you feel the force if you sustain the key).

In reality, this progression is quite smooth, but you can feel the pendulum action (inertia /release / pull) of the hammer on your finger tip, it varies with the velocity of your strike.

[eventually something] = tear-off, or double escpament. This is a small "bump" you feel at mid depression, this a "second" chance hammer thwrowing, when repeating a strike on grand piano (not uright), but forget it for the moment (except if you want to play on a grand).

Look at it through a film
http://www.concertpitchpiano.com/AnimatedGrandAction.html
Or others (*):
http://www.google.fr/search?q=piano+action
(*) grand pianor, or upright piano, then every brand/model has some particularities...

Edited by zack! (11/15/11 07:36 PM)

#1789653 - 11/15/11 07:01 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: anotherscott]
zack! Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I haven't played the P85, but I do prefer the feel of the replacement P95 over the PX130. OTOH, some people are going to say Yamaha and some are going to say Casio. Neither deals a total knockout blow to the other. So all you can do is try them yourself and see which you like better.

I personnal y prefer the casio, because I like better the "pendulum" effect, P95 for me is a bit to "flat", or "constant" resistance. But casio is not perfect neither, stability/guidance is not very good, the key is falling and returning a bit too "quickly", the overall impression for me is "dynamic", "expressive", but a bit "too light" and "flimsy". On the other and, P95 seems a bit "artificial", and "cold", and also too light...

It is a matter of taste, but it is more easy if you can compare with previous experience, so difficult choice for true beginner ... They are both not perfect, but realistic "enough" to have a feeling that is comparable with a true piano (you will adapt easily to the slight difference when you will change).

The general consensus about action, is that Yamaha Graded Hammer (GH : YDP 161, and above, P155) is more realistic than Graded Hammer Standard (GHS : YDP 141, 640 DX, P95). Kawai Responsive Action (RH), is often cited as "realistic" too. And also, on a lighter style, Roland PHAIII. Of course, these action can be found on more expensive DP...

I would say, with experience of different pianos, and different style of music, and when your grade will be suffisant, you will look for a certain expressiveness you want, and a certain sound you want. Then you will be ready to chose a second piano that delights you... The first choice is a bit difficult and arbitrary...

My advice is to go with a reasonable budget, make the list of "good and realistic enough" (casio, korg, yamaha for example) and try to find an instrument that you like and you enjoy to play, so it will be easier to be motivated for your practising...

Edited by zack! (11/15/11 07:54 PM)

#1789659 - 11/15/11 07:10 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: maxpancho

I need a keyboard which would serve for practicing purposes (I'm only going to take up piano for the first time). So I need it to be as close to real piano's action as possible,

Both the PX130 and the P85 are real pianos. They physically exist and you can touch them.

If you are looking for something that is close to an acoustic piano then you have to say which acoustic piano. They are all different. If you are going to learn to play the acoustic piano part of that process is learning how to quickly adapt to the piano at hand. Unlike other musicians few concert pianists carry their own instrument to the venue. They need to be able to adapt. So, I think your premise should not apply. You don't need a DP that is like an AP. What you want is a digital piano with a good expressive weighted key action that provides a solid connection between pressure on the key and the dynamics of the music. Most people prefer a slightly heaver action on the DP than they would want on a grand. That said, many real-world grands have stiff keys. There is huge variation between grand pianos even of the same make, model and age.

I think opinion is split on which is best between the P85 and the PX130. At higher price points I strongly prefer Yamaha over Casio but this is the exception. At the $500 point I like the Casio better because of it's key action. I think the P85/P95 is far to light.

You can upgrade later. In two years you can sell it for 50% of the new price.

#1789661 - 11/15/11 07:13 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

To clarify, I didn't mean to say that no DP action is more realistic than any other... but (a) none of the portable DPs feel totally convincingly like an acoustic piano, and moreover (b) there is not a world of difference in authenticity between one company's $500 piano and someone else's, and as many people will probably prefer either over the other.

#1789716 - 11/15/11 09:12 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Play'em to determine your preference otherwise flip a coin. Even with a VST, you can go to a secondary characteristic for your preference. For example, the Casio accessories tend to be cheaper (pedals, stand) or the Yamaha comes in 2 colors (silver or black) or that the PX-130 has USB connection (no MIDI) while the Yamaha has MIDI (no USB).
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1789846 - 11/16/11 03:11 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: zack!]
zack! Offline

Originally Posted By: zack!

It is a matter of taste, but it is more easy if you can compare with previous experience, so difficult choice for true beginner ... They are both not perfect, but realistic "enough" to have a feeling that is comparable with a true piano (you will adapt easily to the slight difference when you will change).

For example, I prefer to play with a casio px-135, rather than many of very old and used upright accoustic I find in houses of my friends... Often action is unequal/irregular, too heavy and "flabby" (you can't find any "definition" / "accuracy"), and the response is too slow, on them. This kind of touch has nothing to do with the feel of a good modern accoustic piano you try on music store, casio is more comparable...

#1789850 - 11/16/11 03:30 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
zack! Offline

interesting video, where you see keyboard action and manufacturing (Renner) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dEOqU_Y-4A

#1789937 - 11/16/11 10:03 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
maxpancho Offline

anotherscott, zack!, ChrisA, PianoWorksATL, thank you guys.

So, wait, does Yamaha P-85 not have a USB-MIDI interface, so I can only use MIDI thru a standard MIDI plug? But with Casio PX-130 USB plugged directly to my computer can be used for that?

Edited by maxpancho (11/16/11 10:04 AM)

#1789948 - 11/16/11 10:42 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So, wait, does Yamaha P-85 not have a USB-MIDI interface, so I can only use MIDI thru a standard MIDI plug? But with Casio PX-130 USB plugged directly to my computer can be used for that?

Correct. To hook the Yamaha up to a computer, you need a USB-to-MIDI interface for your computer, but such interfaces are readily available and not expensive. For the Casio, all you need is a standard USB cable, so that might save you a few dollars, but it is less useful. Standard MIDI interfaces as on the Yamaha work with everything, USB does not. For example, you can plug any MIDI sound module ever made into the Yamaha, you can't do that with the Casio.

#1790272 - 11/16/11 08:33 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

To add, USB is also length limited whereas MIDI can have very long cables if necessary. Most MIDI to USB cables run around $50. While MIDI will remain a standard plug on studio devices, USB is catching up fast on all newly introduced products. Plus, (and I'm making assumptions because you're looking at ~$500+ keyboards and not ~$3,000 keyboards) your computer DAW will become your most cost effective "devices" that you might have previously needed MIDI for.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1790293 - 11/16/11 08:59 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
To add, USB is also length limited whereas MIDI can have very long cables if necessary.

USB can also go very long distances if required, with the right extender. Here's one for 25 metres (up to five 5-metre extenders connected together): http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4839

and here's something for 100 metres:
http://www.zantech.com.au/extender/usb/ranger-2101-2104.html

Also, if you think you'll probably only ever need to connect the Casio to a computer, but then find that you DO in fact need to connect to a non-computer device that only has the old standard MIDI port, then here is a converter which should work with the Casio:
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml
(you could also run a "MIDI-THRU" utility program on a computer to do the same thing, if you had a computer available, and didn't want to buy a converter like this). If you think there is a good chance that you WILL need to connect the Casio to a non-computer device, then in that case it may be more appropriate to consider a keyboard that does have standard MIDI connections, instead of or in addition to USB. I'm just pointing out that there is at least some hope for a solution if you do buy the Casio and find yourself in that predicament.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/16/11 09:14 PM)

#1790306 - 11/16/11 09:18 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That extender is cool because I was really afraid to ask how much 100m of USB cable would cost. grin
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1790314 - 11/16/11 09:34 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
Most MIDI to USB cables run around $50.

The most expensive 1-in 1-out MIDI-to-USB cable you can get is about $50, but most are far less. The price range at Sweetwater is $29 to $49. Amazon even has an off-brand one for about $5 (though the reviews are mixed... some people say it works well, some say no).

The thing about computer interfaces is, they come and go. I've got old keyboards and modules that have, for various purposes, SCSI and RS-232 serial ports. Basically useless today. But the MIDI ports on them still let me connect them to modern equipment.

Then besides hardware compatibility, there's software compatibility. There are USB keyboards out there that may still physically plug in to current computers, but they don't do anything, because they were only compatible with Windows XP or some old Mac OS, and they won't work on current computers with current operating systems. This should become less of a problem with newer devices following standards that make them "class compliant," but if I had to bet on whether a P85 or a PX-130 will connect to a computer and OS that comes out 5 years from now, I'd put my money on the P85.

And as for the computer being the only device someone will probably want to connect to anyway... why limit yourself? Maybe you come across some sound module you really like. Or maybe you end up playing gigs and want more sounds and don't want to bring a computer with you.

I will grant that, for lots of people, it will never matter. But I think that, at least for some people, the MIDI interface on a P85/P95 will be an advantage over USB, whereas I can't think of any reason the USB interface on the PX-130 would be an advantage over MIDI, apart from possibly saving a few bucks on the cable.

#1790327 - 11/16/11 10:11 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I will say one thing, all current model Casio's with USB are "class compliant" which really helps. As anotherscott said, that is definitely not true of other, even big-name brands. Some of the 1-to-1 MIDI to USB cables are not universal either. I think M-Audio's Uno is and after looking, it's currently around the $35 mark which is less than the last time I looked. Every bit helps.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1790512 - 11/17/11 09:40 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: anotherscott]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

And as for the computer being the only device someone will probably want to connect to anyway... why limit yourself? Maybe you come across some sound module you really like. Or maybe you end up playing gigs and want more sounds and don't want to bring a computer with you.

The reason why someone may want to "limit themselves" is because other features may be more important to them than the ability to do those things. And, as I said, if the occasion arises when they DO need to do those things, they still can, albeit not as easily. Even if we disregard that admittedly relatively unknown(?) brand of "host mode" USB to MIDI converter, all it would take is a small computer (a netbook, for example) between the PX-130 and the MIDI equipment. The PX-130 would connect to the netbook using USB, and a standard USB to MIDI converter would connect from the netbook to the MIDI equipment. A MIDI THRU utility would then be run on the netbook to do the forwarding. Maybe an iPhone or iPad could be used, too.

Maybe Casio should make a host mode USB to MIDI converter! ;^)

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/17/11 09:46 AM)

#1790528 - 11/17/11 10:00 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: sullivang]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sullivang
The reason why someone may want to "limit themselves" is because other features may be more important to them than the ability to do those things.

I didn't mean to imply that someone should choose a P85/P95 over a PX130 simply because of the interface... each model has some advantages over the others, which will be important to different people. I was addressing what I thought was an implication that a USB interface on a digital piano was actually as good as (or even preferable to) a MIDI interface. I just didn't think "you probably only want to hook it up to a computer anyway" was a good rationale, so I was pointing out the limitation that I feel that really is.

#1790530 - 11/17/11 10:04 AM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Ok. I'm glad you didn't ask me what other features differentiate the two, because I would have pointed to the tri-sensor action on the Casio, which I know you just love. :P :P :P

Goodnight.

Greg.
p.s Maxpancho: don't concern yourself about the tri-sensor aspect of the Casio - it doesn't matter at all to you as a beginner.

Edited by sullivang (11/17/11 10:07 AM)

#1790606 - 11/17/11 12:11 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
maxpancho Offline

Hum, in this review the author states that Casio PX-130 has a defected midi interface?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3MO4QRXXV5...#wasThisHelpful

Can anyone confirm this? Because I actually still need it, despite what I said, that I only cared about action. I should have probably pointed it out at first maybe, but it's feasible that I couldn't even have a thought something would have been wrong with midi.

Also a couple of arisen questions:

1) Should I invest another 50$ in P-95 if I decide to stick with Yamaha? What are the differences between P-85 and P-95?
2) What are the risks or disadvantages of buying a cheaper MIDItoUSB cable?

Thanks is advance, guys.

Edited by maxpancho (11/17/11 12:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Added link

#1790623 - 11/17/11 12:39 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

What are the differences between P-85 and P-95?

P95 has a couple of different presets on it, nicer keys (matte finish on black keys), better speakers, and a slightly different bottom that makes it less fussy about what kind of stand you can put it on.

What are the risks or disadvantages of buying a cheaper MIDItoUSB cable?

Read the reviews at
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG

Lots of people have no problem with them. Some people experienced high latency, or an inability to get their particular computer or keyboard to work. At five bucks, it's not much of a risk to try it and see if it works for you.

Hum, in this review the author states that Casio PX-130 has a defected midi interface?

It's not impossible that the problem could have been in the $5 interface. ;-) OTOH, it's also not impossible that the people who complained about latency in the cheap interface could have had a problem in their keyboard! I have not used the USB port of any of the Casios, but maybe someone else can chime in here with their experience.

Edited by anotherscott (11/17/11 12:42 PM)

#1790703 - 11/17/11 03:07 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Good morning!

Maxpancho: well done for finding that problem! Very thorough.

I have the PX-330, and as I have reported elsewhere in this forum, I DO experience some kind of a problem when using the USB MIDI, and it feels to me like the problem is the same as the problem mentioned in that Amazon review. However, I have found that it works fine if I do either of two things:

a) Disable "local control", which is just a fancy way of saying that the INTERNAL sounds of the PX-330 are disabled. So, when I am using it to trigger sounds on my computer, the PX-330 is not generating any sound at all. (which doesn't bother me, because when I do this, I have so far not required the internal sounds).

b) Switch to a preset that I presume does not use the velocity layer morphing. For example, if I simply select an electric piano preset, the problem also goes away. The electric piano presets have very distinct changes in tone colour as the key press velocity is varied - this is why I say that these presets appear to me to NOT use the layer morphing/blending processing.

So, in my opinion, there is indeed a problem, however FOR ME, there is a simple workaround. However, if I ever want to use BOTH the internal high quality piano sounds (the ones with the layer morphing/blending), AND external sounds together, at the same time, I'll be in trouble. I doubt that I'll ever have to do this, though. If you think you may want to do this, then I would strongly advise you not to buy the PX-130.

Now, I think I found that when I used the standard MIDI connections on the PX-330, that the problem did not occur. I am not 100% sure. (but this won't help you with a PX-130, of course). I can re-test.

EDIT: Here is the thread where I first saw mention of the problem: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/topic/108779/gonew/1.html And yes - it appears that I did in fact report that the problem does not occur when using the standard MIDI connection on the PX-330.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/17/11 03:25 PM)

#1790797 - 11/17/11 05:20 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

1) Should I invest another 50$ in P-95 if I decide to stick with Yamaha? What are the differences between P-85 and P-95?
Normally, I'm a big proponent of getting the current model, but if you can still find a new P85, I don't see is as much of an issue. To the best of my knowledge, the P95 was made to lay flat on a tabletop while the P85 had trouble with this. Anybody know of any other differences?
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1790799 - 11/17/11 05:23 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Just by the way, despite the fact that my PX-330 has both USB and standard MIDI connections, I use the USB, even though the USB has the aforementioned problem. The reasons I use USB are:

a) I feel that it has better latency (less delay) then when I use it through my USB MIDI adaptor. (it's a combined audio/MIDI adaptor - an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra). I could do a test to attempt to prove that the latency is in fact better with USB. Having said that, the latency when using the FTU for MIDI is still acceptable.

b) Sometimes, I use the onboard soundcard of my laptop (using the ASIO4ALL driver), rather than the Fast Track Ultra, for audio. For some reason, when I use standard MIDI (through the FTU), there is some arpeggiation of notes. (notes that are played together on the keyboard, do not sound at exactly the same time). When I use USB MIDI directly, this problem does not occur. There appears to be an interaction between the FTU driver and ASIO4ALL.

So, even though these Casio pianos do seem to have a problem with the USB MIDI, the aforementioned workaround seems to work well, and when I do that, I then prefer it to using standard MIDI. It may well be that other USB to MIDI adaptors would work better than the FTU. I have not yet tried any others.

Greg.

#1790903 - 11/17/11 08:26 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

RE: The P-85 vs P-95, I remember a problem that someone reported with the P-85 regarding a strange background noise, as documented here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1520096/1.html

Has this problem been rectified on the P-95? (was it confirmed to be endemic to the P-85? EDIT: Yes, appears so) If so, that would be another reason to consider the P-95 over the P-85.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/17/11 08:31 PM)

#1791358 - 11/18/11 03:01 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
maxpancho Offline

Thank you, Greg. Very careful.
Thank you, PianoWorksATL & anotherscott, for the comments.

I now have time to carefully consider my choice.
Interestingly enough, I've encountered a few comments actually saying that on Yamaha P-85 the action was pretty heavy for them, whereas here it was pointed out that it was quite lite. Althought it was noted that that was just for their liking. So I assume this is everyone's peculiar thing.

I am leaning towards Yamaha P-85(P-95), now. Mostly because I don't want to have problems with MIDI. I am going to make a more thorough study of reviews closer to the time when I am going to purchase a keyboard, and ask arisen questions here if I have.

Edited by maxpancho (11/18/11 03:06 PM)

#1820321 - 01/07/12 01:44 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
maxpancho Offline

Hello, guys, again. So I'm about to buy a keyboard soon and I see now there's Yamaha P-85 selling on Amazon for 450$ (a week ago it was 425$, but they raised the price) and Casio PX-130 which now sells for 400$.

I think I'd consider latter, but one thing perplexes me. Someone said that its keys are wobbly, is it really the case?

#1820460 - 01/07/12 05:47 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
My first PX-330 (summer 2010) had a couple of keybed issues and was replaced. I've had the replacement getting on for 18 months now and no issues. In that time I estimate its been used on average for close to an hour a day.

The only complication may be the arrival of the updated PX-135 which is already available in the UK.

#1820511 - 01/07/12 07:14 PM Re: Action: Yamaha P-85 vs. Casio PX-130 [Re: maxpancho]
Kenatsu Offline

Loc: Argentina
I have a Yamaha P-95 and an acoustic and I have been playing for almost 4 years. They feel a little diferent? Yes, a little, but for me it's much more easier going from the P-95 to my acoustic than going from my acoustic to other acoustics

Last year in college I had to play the entire year a piano that was in a room of 3x3 mts, so mezzopiano in my acoustic sounded like forte in that piano, change from one to another was really hard

By the way, the P-95 have 10 ranges of volume, put it in 8 and you have the intensity of my acoustic

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
63 registered (Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, Atrys, 18 invisible), 1160 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156179 Topics
2293527 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP11 Thread
by Abby Pianoman
07/26/14 07:11 AM
Which Would you Choose?
by Semolina Pilchard
07/26/14 04:32 AM
Advice for learning composition and arrangement
by ttttcrngyblflpp
07/26/14 03:18 AM
Broadway medley
by cheni
07/26/14 02:10 AM
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
07/26/14 12:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission