Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1789687 - 11/15/11 08:12 PM Yamaha U1/EP
michigan girl Offline

Thank you very much for your help with a 1880s Steinway I looked at before. You really helped me not to make the wrong decision!!!
Now I am looking at the 2003 Yamaha U1/EP that was used by a little girl. Her parents are moving and want to sell it for $5,000. They claim that they got it new for $11,000. I am in Canada (Ottawa). What do you think I can offer them? What is a fair price and at which price you can call it a steal? smile
I need this piano for my SERIOUSE 10 year old who plays well and outgrew her electronic piano a while ago... I just don't have lots of money to spend.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1789700 - 11/15/11 08:27 PM Re: Yamaha U1/EP [Re: michigan girl]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
The $5000 price is more than fair if the history is accurate. Theft is up to you.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1789712 - 11/15/11 09:02 PM Re: Yamaha U1/EP [Re: Steve Cohen]
michigan girl Offline

Then the recent discussion about new Yamaha U1s for $5800 does not make sense... $5,000 for a 7 year old v.s. $5,800 for the new (which includes delivery + tuning)...

#1789719 - 11/15/11 09:22 PM Re: Yamaha U1/EP [Re: michigan girl]
AGuy2 Offline

Loc: Dixon, CA
The $5800 for a new U1 is right, at least in the urban areas with lots of dealers.

U1s hold their price very well and are much sought after. Check.the serial number to see if it was built for the US. If.it wasnt then that may giive you room for negotiating with the associated risks.

#1789721 - 11/15/11 09:27 PM Re: Yamaha U1/EP [Re: michigan girl]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: michigan girl
Then the recent discussion about new Yamaha U1s for $5800 does not make sense... $5,000 for a 7 year old v.s. $5,800 for the new (which includes delivery + tuning)...
The U1 is practically unique among upright pianos in that it is treated like a commodity. The super-low new prices are usually in group buy situations with other strings attached. Also, when a low price is quoted here, sometimes there is an agenda that accompanies the story. Here in Atlanta, in a private sale situation, I'd expect a U1 that is under 10 years old to sell for $4000-$4500. I hear Canada tends to be more expensive (new & used).
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1789806 - 11/16/11 12:36 AM Re: Yamaha U1/EP [Re: michigan girl]
DougMorgan Offline

Loc: Kelowna BC, Canada
If the piano was originally sold in 2003 in Canada it should still be under warranty for a year or two from Yamaha. I would try and contact the dealer that originally sold the piano to see if you can verify that the warranty is good and any other info they might give you. $11000 sounds like the current full-blown yamaha "list" price which I don't think anyone actually pays, even in Canada.

There are tables that give the age and the original market on the yamaha.usa website but they don't always work for Canadian-destined products. If you email the piano support people at Yamaha Canada with the serial number they will tell you the year of manufacture and the original market. I asked them twice and each time it took about 24 hours to get back to me.

Note that the year of manufacture and the actual delivery date to the original purchaser may be far apart -- for warranty I think you need to verify the sale with the dealer. From what I've been told the pianos are in a sealed container until the dealer opens them which might be a year or more from the date of manufacture.

I'm in BC but $5000 for a Canadian, 1 owner, piano that is in excellent condition and still (barely) under warranty would be a pretty good deal. We were looking at one that was 12 years old and they were asking $4500. If the seller is not the original owner I would be more cautious and probably wouldn't pay as much unless you can verify the history. I would have the piano looked over by a professional in either case.

The prices in the USA,especially California, don't seem to be comparable to the prices in Canada. Maybe it's the Walmart mentality down there or maybe Yamaha Canada is buying the things from California and reselling them here. I don't know but it's odd that for Yamaha Electronics the cost is very similar and sometimes even better up here. I've noticed that many Japanese companies that used to gouge in Canada seemed to have stopped once it got easier to just buy out of the states -- tough with a piano though unless you own a moving van.

I hope it works out for you -- we love the U1 we bought.
Doug

Edited by DougMorgan (11/16/11 12:52 AM)

#1789810 - 11/16/11 12:52 AM Re: Yamaha U1/EP [Re: michigan girl]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: michigan girl

Pianos cost more in Canada, that's why. Try bargaining if you like.

Also of interest is that in Europe, they seem to just replace the dollar sign with the euro sign when pricing items, never mind that the euro (still?) is stronger than the dollar...

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (bennevis, Atrys, Akshay, 19 invisible), 1057 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
50 minutes 29 seconds ago
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission