Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1788256 - 11/13/11 04:55 PM Hanon #2 fingering
thurisaz Offline

Loc: Finland
My initial exposure to Hanon was the few exercises included in Alfred's Adult Level One book. They seemed quite useful, so I got myself a copy of The Virtuoso Pianist. I finally cracked it open tonight. The first exercise was fine, but I'm a bit surprised by the fingering on the second one. The exercise starts on C-E-A-G-F-G-F-E; the left hand fingering is 5-3-1-2-3-2-3-4. This seems a bit odd to me, because the stretching (to whatever extent) is 3-1 rather than 5-4, which seems to be the focus of these early exercises. With this fingering, I don't feel like either hand gets a useful stretch ascending or descending. I tried 5-4-1-2-3-2-3-4 and that feels more like a useful stretch -- similar to what's in the first exercise.

Should I continue using my alternative fingering or am I missing the point of the exercise? I'm normally inclined to use my own judgement about fingering than to ask on the forums, but it seems to me the fingering is a very important part of Hanon/Czerny/etc, so I thought I'd double check. (FWIW, I'm using the Schirmer edition.)

(I've also been trying some Czerny Op. 599. I started with exercise 12 and found the left hand fingering to be really odd, but I'm willing to stick with it -- I feel like it might sometimes be beneficial to do things in a strange way.)

Edited by thurisaz (11/13/11 04:56 PM)

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Working on: Alfred's Adult Piano Level 2, Satie Gymnopedie N. 1

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1788287 - 11/13/11 05:32 PM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Finger independence and precision, not stretching, are the main points in Hanon. The exercises are designed to employ all sorts of different finger sequences as reflected in the standard fingerings. Of course, you can use the exercises for other things at your own discretion. Just be careful about excessive stretching as well as exaggerated finger movements (despite the antiquated instructions to "lift the fingers high").
Estonia L168 #1718

#1788358 - 11/13/11 07:43 PM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

I personally feel like the 2nd exercise (among others) is about hand movement too. It's about moving your hand up a key while playing the line. Many times the thumb will be stretching up to get a new high note, which is happening here (on a smaller scale of course). Once you stretch up to that note, the rest of your hand shifts to the new notes. I think that's what it's about. 5-4-1 is more realistic to the way you'd actually play a line like that.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#1788583 - 11/14/11 06:12 AM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
This is very interesting to me. My Russian-trained teacher has me play a number of the first Hanon exercises (#1-4) 5-4-1, not 5-3-1.

She says that part of the idea is that the fourth finger is the weakest in the bunch generally, and needs the work, aside from it feeling equally natural.

#1788809 - 11/14/11 01:37 PM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I couldn't make out what the issue was, but it happens that Monday is when I do piano exercises, so I tried it the 5-4 etc way.

5-3-1 seems like a perfectly natural and easy way to finger the exercise; I don't see any great reason to mud-wrestle with monsieur Hanon over this one. There are other, more important aspects to attend to, such as evenness of timing and making a musical sound, even with such a mundane little warm-up exercise. In general, Hanon is trying to get the hand used to executing figures that the player will be seeing again and again in music. You will have a little library of these treasures, which the hand already finds familiar (and thus it does not tax the mind), when you get to actual compositions.

All fingers are employed here. The hand falls naturally onto the first note of the next measure. What else do you want? Move on--- you will get to the stretches.

BTW--- packa was right about "lift the fingers high." Exaggerated movements of this kind can lead to injury. A crisp intonation is fine, but there's no need to make the fingers out-do the Rockettes at the cost of injuring the hand and tendons. RSI's are a pretty bad setback. So go a little easier than that.

Edited by Jeff Clef (11/14/11 01:39 PM)

#1788828 - 11/14/11 02:12 PM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL
Exercises are meant to be played as written. They aren't pieces of music, they are meant to help you develop the skills to play music.

Hanon is very incremental, each exercise focus on a specific thing, and they build on each other. The 5-4 stretch you refer to is employed in other, later exercises.

Hanon is sort of Zen like, you just do it, don't intellectualize it, and the "why" will come to you.

Patience, Grasshopper.

#1788912 - 11/14/11 04:30 PM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
thurisaz Offline

Thanks for all of your comments! I didn't have another go at #2 today (played through #1 instead, along with some Czerny), but I think I'll play Hanon #2 tomorrow and just follow the fingering given. I guess I got a bit caught up in the stretches from the first exercise; in fact, I noticed today that the introductory text explicitly states that successive exercises are designed to avoid fatigue by focusing on different aspects & fingers.

I think I find it easier to get a musical sound from Czerny than Hanon, but I also get the feeling that that's just the way they are.

#1790589 - 11/17/11 11:41 AM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
samasap Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I'd suggest you using the guide it gives you, it may feel a little bit awkward to start with, but once you get use to it and your fingers strengthen up it'll be fine....We are all the same when we come across something slightly out of out comfort zone.

If you really feel uncomfortable with it then use what you are suggesting, but it's good to get into good fingering habits from the beginning and then this will produce fluency throughout your songs and give you a better sound long term.

#1790747 - 11/17/11 04:21 PM Re: Hanon #2 fingering [Re: thurisaz]
thurisaz Offline

Thanks, samasap. I'm planning to use the fingering from Hannon. My concern wasn't that it wasn't uncomfortable, but that it didn't feel like a workout. Based on the response here (and a more careful reading of the introduction), I seem to have missed the point, though. smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, Atrys, Auver, 49 invisible), 1450 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251046 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission