2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I would very much appreciate any opinions regarding the Yamaha CP33 solely as a MIDI controller for my DAW (Cubase).

I'm looking for a well built MIDI controller that has a realistic piano action and weighted keys.

It would be amazing to have Yamaha S6 and CFIII concert grand sounds, but that's not really a priority.

Oh, and how does the GH keyboard compare to the NW-Stage keyboards on the CP1 and CP5?

Thank you very, very much for any input!

If you want love you must be love
But if you bleed love you will die love
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I owned the predecessor to the CP33 and it was solid. Good key action. The same action is available in many mid-range Yamaha products so it should be easy for you to test out and form your own opinion--basically every store with any digital pianos will have a Yamaha with a GH action. Should be great for MIDI and it weighs less than 40 pounds.

The CP1 and CP5 actions are lighter and not graded. On the other hand, they are reputed to be good.

Last edited by gvfarns; 11/18/11 01:10 AM.
OP Offline
Sounds good. Thanks, gv! I'll see that I try out the CP33 as soon as possible.

If you want love you must be love
But if you bleed love you will die love
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by R_Dorothy
I would very much appreciate any opinions regarding the Yamaha CP33 solely as a MIDI controller for my DAW (Cubase).

CP33 works well as a MIDI controller for triggering sounds... you can program presets to call up external program changes, it has pitch/mod wheels, etc., so it is a good MIDI controller from a performance standpoint. OTOH, when you're talking about a DAW, people sometimes want their MIDI controllers to have a decent array of programmable knobs/sliders, transport functions, etc., and that the CP33 does not have... but you can add a separate box for that, like a Novation Zero SL, etc.

If you want a weighted 88 with DAW-style MIDI controller functions, you could look at an Akai MPK-88, though I've never played one and have no idea what the feel is like.

Originally Posted by R_Dorothy
how does the GH keyboard compare to the NW-Stage keyboards on the CP1 and CP5?

The CP1/CP5 actions are much lighter than the CP33. I prefer them and find them more like real piano keys, but some people actually prefer heavier actions, so to some extent it's a matter of taste.

W
W
I use the CP33 to drive my Ivory II software pianos and like it very much. I agree that its touch is heavier than the newer Yamahas (CP 1 and CP5), but I have grown used to the heavier action and now prefer it.

If you're looking for a MIDI controller for just $400 more than the CP33 the Yamaha MO8 (recently replaced by the $1700 MOX8) could be a good choice. 88 Balanced Hammer Effect keys, USB, MIDI, built-in sequencer, fantastic Motif-based synth engine with 175Mb of sounds, and more.

It has a DAW remote control mode to control a DAW and softsynths from the keyboard, and it comes with software that lets you control the synth from inside your DAW as if it were a softsynth when using Cubase or Nuendo.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission