Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1789938 - 11/16/11 10:12 AM E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question
dir_marillion Offline

Hello,
I recently purchased an Upright Piano (E. Krauss Stuttgart) the one with the "London, Wien, Ulm..." stamps, engraved with flowers.

I was told that according its serial number its more likely that it is about 120 years old, but I would like to confirm this from an updated "Piano Dates" database.

I have searched many sites, found in Google, but with no success.

I also have to mention that this is not a "BirdCage" piano as mentioned in another thread/forum.
According the Piano categories referred in:
http://www.balaams-ass.com/piano/diagrams.htm,
it seems that it belongs to:

Upright Action (Not Console)

Edited by dir_marillion (11/19/11 03:07 PM)
Edit Reason: new pictures added

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1789975 - 11/16/11 11:57 AM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Please post the serial number, and I can look it up for you. It's usually in the triangular area in the top, between the bass and treble tuning pins.

E. Krauss made pianos from 1870 to 1930.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#1789997 - 11/16/11 12:55 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: Cy Shuster, RPT]
dir_marillion Offline

Its serial number is 16028, thanks a lot for your fast response!

#1790005 - 11/16/11 01:14 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
From the Witter Bible (Jens-Uwe Witter, Das Klavierlexikon):

Emil Krauss Stuttgart

15.700 - 1905,
19.200 - 1910

Interpolation delivers for #16.028: built ca. 1905/1906.

D 1877 satin black plain

#1790057 - 11/16/11 02:32 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
dir_marillion Offline

Hi BerndAB,
is the first name EMIL or ERNST ?

#1790064 - 11/16/11 02:38 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
hi dir_marillon,

in the Witter book it is Emil. There is no Ernst written.

It is a little bit disturbing: a Krauss (with double s or with german "sharp" s "ß") cannot be found in the Witter book. And the only Kraus or Krauss in Stuttgart is this Emil Kraus one, written with one s.

Edited by BerndAB (11/16/11 02:43 PM)
Edit Reason: info added

D 1877 satin black plain

#1790449 - 11/17/11 06:28 AM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
dir_marillion Offline

Ah, I understood. Thank you very much BerndAB.
It is strange how many alternative names they had...

#1790567 - 11/17/11 11:12 AM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is listed as Ernst Krauss in the Pierce Piano Atlas. However, there is another Ernst Krauss listed as being in Berlin, so that might be a typo.

In the end, what difference does it make? It is an old upright.

#1790614 - 11/17/11 12:24 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
Cornelius Offline

Loc: Stuttgart (Germany)
Hello
I found this information:
(http://www.pianoshop.co.uk/info/pianos/k/krauss.php)
E. KRAUSS Stuttgart / Germany
Production began in 1870
Taken over by Carl Sauter (Spaichingen) in 1958

If you need more information maybe the guys from Sauter may help. (http://www.sauter-pianos.de/)

Good luck and greetings from Stuttgart

#1791112 - 11/18/11 08:15 AM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: BDB]
dir_marillion Offline

Originally Posted By: BDB
It is listed as Ernst Krauss in the Pierce Piano Atlas. However, there is another Ernst Krauss listed as being in Berlin, so that might be a typo.

In the end, what difference does it make? It is an old upright.

Thank you for your comment but I opened this thread in order to find some more information and manufacture year about this Piano. I have mentioned it is lovely and beautiful as the most (if not all) of the old uprights are.

Cornelius, it seems like the piano site you refer is a Piano shop, which currently does not have any Pianos like that available for sale.

As Witter Bible refers only the existence of Emil Krauss Stuttgart company, this must be what I am searching for unless its database is not 100% complete and in this rare case I assume it deserves to find out more information for this 1xx years old Piano.

Edited by dir_marillion (11/18/11 08:16 AM)

#1791255 - 11/18/11 12:55 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Bible?? None of the piano atlases around can be considered gospel - they all have many omissions and inaccuracies. The Pierce is especially unreliable, in my experience. The best and definitive atlas for German pianos today is by Jan Grossbach. It lists the same information that Bernd has provided.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1791266 - 11/18/11 01:16 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Not only that, nobody has the real information on these pianos, like whether the parts were shopped out or made in-house. The case that you admire so much may be a combination of design details from various shops that were put together to make this piano.

Just the other day, I was tuning an old upright that should have been junked years ago, and noticing that the name of the manufacturer cast into the plate was not actually cast into the entire plate, but just a useless piece of metal bolted over the real plate. But then, you see other pianos with a standard plate in them where they just changed the letters on the pattern. Occasionally you see one where they forgot to change the letters, and a plate marked for one company shows up in a piano labeled by a non-related company.

About the only information that can have a bearing on a piano these days is the age, and that can be divided into just a few relevant eras: ancient history, modern (post 1880) to WWI, WWI to WWII, WWII to the coming of the Japanese pianos (roughly 1965), the demise of the US piano industry, and the coming of the rest of the Asians. The exact year does not matter as much as which of those eras it is in. Within each of those eras, the condition and quality of the piano matters more than the exact age.

#1792068 - 11/19/11 02:45 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: BDB]
dir_marillion Offline

Originally Posted By: BDB
About the only information that can have a bearing on a piano these days is the age, and that can be divided into just a few relevant eras: ancient history, modern (post 1880) to WWI, WWI to WWII, WWII to the coming of the Japanese pianos (roughly 1965), the demise of the US piano industry, and the coming of the rest of the Asians. The exact year does not matter as much as which of those eras it is in. Within each of those eras, the condition and quality of the piano matters more than the exact age.

Is it possible to search any particular places, inside or behind the Piano, which may provide more info about it, other than the type of the mechanism ?

Edited by dir_marillion (11/26/11 12:17 PM)

#1792290 - 11/19/11 08:33 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Wow, this looks exactly like the "Krauss" piano I learned on as young child in Germany.

Quote:

Not really , my piano *was* made in Berlin - I specifically remember the bullet holes....

Norbert wink

#1796250 - 11/26/11 12:16 PM Re: E. Krauss Stuttgart Serial Number Question [Re: dir_marillion]
dir_marillion Offline

Norbert :-) That's nice !!

BDB posted earlier that Ernst Krauss pianos made in Berlin!!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (AndrewJCW, AimeeO, 29 invisible), 1347 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156146 Topics
2293051 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
9 minutes 38 seconds ago
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission