2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
rob.art Offline OP
OP Offline
R
anybody bought this baby grand? Is it currently the best digital grand from yamaha CLP series? Relatively inexpensive so I wonder if it's any good.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I know this is kind of an old thread (like, three days old...whoa), but I spent some significant time this evening playing one so I have an opinion.

It looks real nice. The onboard sounds were OK. Nothing to write home about. The Rolands I tried had better sounds.

The action was better than any other digital I tried in the store (all were Rolands and Yamahas...and they didn't have any really high end stuff. That is I could only try PHAII and lower on the Roland. Not sure on the Yamaha). But the action wasn't mind-blowing. That is, I think Kawai's RM3 action would easily defeat it in one-on-one combat.

Mainly I was taken aback by the price. My shop had a price tag of $5,999 on it. For another thousand dollars or so you can have an AvantGrand N1, which I'm sure is better in every respect.

The speakers on it did not impress me much, but I only used them a little. Mostly I used headphones.

All-in-all, unless you can get it for like 2 or 3 grand, I would personally avoid it. I guess if looks matter a lot and you can't afford an N3, it would be a good option.

Last edited by gvfarns; 11/09/11 08:11 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Mainly I was taken aback by the price. My shop had a price tag of $5,999 on it. For another thousand dollars or so you can have an AvantGrand N1, which I'm sure is better in every respect.
You're comparing the $6000 asking price of the CLP465GP with the $7000+ street price of the N1.

I don't know much about the 465 ... but it's predecessor CLP265GP was basically a low-end Clavinova in a mini-grand cabinet. It had the GH3 keyboard, but only 1-level sampling. Lame. I don't know what features the CLP465GP sports, but it's surely low down on the Yamaha totem pole.

As such, I'd expect the street price to be MUCH less than $6000. But you can't get the low price until you make the low offer.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
True that. Funny thing was every time we discussed it, that sales lady was all over talking about how the current price was a steal. Must have really wanted to unload it. Maybe because I was asking about the AvantGrand and that was the closest thing she had.

What's the asking price for an N1?

Anyway, the piano was good. At a reasonable price it could be an acceptable piano.

Last edited by gvfarns; 11/09/11 09:06 PM.
R
rob.art Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for your opinion. Regarding price we all know it very negotiable and we should never accept first offer smile I've seen
already 465GP below 5k and I'm sure you could get even better then that especially on Black Friday. Anyway so you're saying it's nothing spectacular except the look right?
As I remember N1, N2 is not in grand piano case and kinda ugly...N3 is a little bit off the price range. More likely I could manage to finance Yamaha Gran Touch GT2.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

As I remember N1, N2 is not in grand piano case and kinda ugly...

If you buy a piano for its looks you will get the sound you deserve.

Last edited by Dr Popper; 11/18/11 07:57 PM.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
R
rob.art Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

As I remember N1, N2 is not in grand piano case and kinda ugly...

If you buy a piano for its looks you will get the sound you deserve.

What a silly statement...
Do you marry a women only for money or also for look?
I'd rather have both.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rob.art

I'd rather have both.

Then buy a N3

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
M
I've played a few and I'm very unimpressed. The sound is ok, but not great. The keyboard/sound system/specifications are the same as the lower end of the CLP series, the only difference being the bigger speakers. As far as I can tell you are spending a lot of money for a pretty cabinet.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of this digital, it's very well designed from an aesthetic point of view. But as far as playing I would opt for a CLP 470 any day (or even better something from Kawai) at a much lower price.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by mdb2303
As far as I can tell you are spending a lot of money for a pretty cabinet...as far as playing I would opt for a CLP 470 any day (or even better something from Kawai) at a much lower price.

I agree - in a technical sense it is roughly equivalent to a CLP 430/440. Why didn't they fit the NW keys at least? I think it's specifically for people that want the looks but are not overly concerned with the specification (or price). A close look at the specs reveals some embarrassing details when compared with some much much cheaper Yamaha products.

E
E
Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to acquire one of these (new) for about 4k USD (3k euros). I see this instrument isn't particularly well thought off around these parts. Nonetheless I have some questions that maybe somebody can help me with.

Regarding other instruments of the CLP range (of lower price but higher specs), it seems to lack the following:

- AWM (it instead uses RGE) tone generation technology
- Chorus, DSP and iFAC effects

How does the lack of these features affect overall sound quality?

From what I've read, NW key action isn't that much different from the GH3:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/684739.html

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

E
E
Forgot these other "missing" features:

- Stereo Sustain Samples
- Key-off Samples
- String Resonance

How would these affect sonority?

R
rob.art Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Eduard P.
Forgot these other "missing" features:

- Stereo Sustain Samples
- Key-off Samples
- String Resonance

How would these affect sonority?

it does have though Intelligent Acoustic Control (IAC) which is new and previous models didn't have it.

I just found this recently...
Sounds good to me. But then again, this kid is bad!!!

[video:youtube]Y_fQrcEfXRU[/video]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission