2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kevinb
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Originally Posted by wouter79
>My dream is to go back to college for fun after I retire in 15 years. I will study piano or composition. It will be really fun.

Why wait 15 years? I already did this and I'm far from retiring.

Well, it's simple. I have to pay off my house first.

The last repayment of my mortage loan is scheduled to be on my 70th birthday smirk So if I wait for that date before I do stuff I want to do, I'm most likely never going to do it.

now or never grin take care

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
>My dream is to go back to college for fun after I retire in 15 years. I will study piano or composition. It will be really fun.

The last repayment of my mortage loan is scheduled to be on my 70th birthday smirk So if I wait for that date before I do stuff I want to do, I'm most likely never going to do it.

I'm not waiting to enjoy piano. I am playing the piano everyday. It may sound strange but I also enjoy my work. I like the balance I have in my life right now. My work involves coming up with a variety of business solutions using statistics and other tools. It's a very creative and satisfying process in its own way. However, it's not a work I can do forever though, so my stopping point may come sooner:)

In the mean time, I am focused on making myself good enough to pass the future audition for performance and setting myself up for success as a performance major. With one hour a day practice, it's taking a long time but I am making progress. I would need a minimum of 3 large pieces from different periods, classical, baroque, modern, romantic, etc. and demonstrating usual set of technical capabilities and knowledge of theory. I also need to learn how to bring a piece to performance level (the best I could) in 160 hours. In piano performance for the university I am aiming for, students carry 3 major works during a semester. Say, an average performance students practice 7 hours a day 5 days a week for a semester (3 months). That's 420 hours. It means that I need to master one piece within 140 hours! My average is about 200 hours and the quality of the finished product is much lower than theirs. Many students probably practice less. So it means that I am not ready for it yet. But it's okay. I am enjoying the process. It is my way.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not waiting to enjoy piano. I am playing the piano everyday. It may sound strange but I also enjoy my work. I like the balance I have in my life right now. My work involves coming up with a variety of business solutions using statistics and other tools. It's a very creative and satisfying process in its own way. However, it's not a work I can do forever though, so my stopping point may come sooner:)

In the mean time, I am focused on making myself good enough to pass the future audition for performance and setting myself up for success as a performance major. With one hour a day practice, it's taking a long time but I am making progress. I would need a minimum of 3 large pieces from different periods, classical, baroque, modern, romantic, etc. and demonstrating usual set of technical capabilities and knowledge of theory. I also need to learn how to bring a piece to performance level (the best I could) in 160 hours. In piano performance for the university I am aiming for, students carry 3 major works during a semester. Say, an average performance students practice 7 hours a day 5 days a week for a semester (3 months). That's 420 hours. It means that I need to master one piece within 140 hours! My average is about 200 hours and the quality of the finished product is much lower than theirs. Many students probably practice less. So it means that I am not ready for it yet. But it's okay. I am enjoying the process. It is my way.

it is the only way farm girl. very intricate smart details on your mind there. i used to look at at work until i got the point where i asked myself why am i doing this and if I'm not going to enjoy the process I'm just gonna stop all together. that took awhile actually. i aspire to go back to school for music grinkeep up the good work though. and don't look at it as work or you won't do it lol eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was wondering the same thing myself..... When do I get to stop calling myself a beginner. Ha ha.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by joeb84
Originally Posted by Plowboy
It's not a battle, it's a journey.

It's sometimes a battle as well. An epic, maybe? wink

for me its more like a war zone grin eek

I love it!!

@ Teodor: That's a great pic, man.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
Originally Posted by joeb84
Originally Posted by Plowboy
It's not a battle, it's a journey.

It's sometimes a battle as well. An epic, maybe? wink

for me its more like a war zone grin eek

I love it!!

@ Teodor: That's a great pic, man.

that it is. you look in very deep thought and introspect

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
nothing crazy about having a vision in your mind and seeing it manifest in real life smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission