Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1792172 - 11/19/11 04:45 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
wayne32yrs, a tip for getting the quavers, crotchets, and minims assigned, after you have the skeleton as you're showing it: counting in 8 as here, a one-count note is a quaver. To be a crotchet, the note needs two counts. Minims need four counts.

There are some extra fine points such as a written minim normally starts on count 1 or 4; otherwise you would show it with some combination of tied quavers, crotchets, or dotted crotchets. Similarly for crotchets and odd counts -- which is why the bass shows tied quavers instead of a crotchet as the third note. But just getting all the one-count notes as quavers will be a start.

(The above is tailored for counting in 8: 1 count per quaver. If you were counting in 4 -- 1 count per crotchet -- the numbers would be different but the end result in written music would be the same.)

As dire tonic says, you can play from the skeleton. Assigning the quavers etc. correctly may help you in your reading in general by building a consistent map of appearance and rhythm that agrees with other music you may read.

I'm impressed by your ear: I could work out the rhythms, but would have a really hard time working out the pitches of this by ear.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (11/19/11 04:49 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1792192 - 11/19/11 05:05 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Thnx PS88, the quaver, crotchet, minim thing is what I need to read up on, you've helped though, cheers, what do you mean when you say....

"I could work out the rhythms, but would have a really hard time working out the pitches of this by ear"

Pitches, you mean the notes?

#1792200 - 11/19/11 05:13 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Yes, that's better but still a couple of further corrections viz:-

- note the double tie in bar 3.

There are often alternatives, forex, at the beginning of bar 3 that could have been G quaver (tied as is, from the previous bar) G dotted crotchet tied to the first G in the second half of the bar (as is).

Also, I'm not sure if you've decided to change the phrasing at the end of bar 2, but if you want it as the original then just use the notation from the earlier posting.

Edited by dire tonic (11/19/11 05:22 PM)

#1792209 - 11/19/11 05:35 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
Thnx PS88, the quaver, crotchet, minim thing is what I need to read up on, you've helped though, cheers, what do you mean when you say....

Be aware that most things you read will assign one count (beat) per crotchet. A quaver will be said to take half a beat. Your music here would be labelled "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" instead of "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8".

Quote:
"I could work out the rhythms, but would have a really hard time working out the pitches of this by ear"

Pitches, you mean the notes?
Yes, as in C, D, E, etc. I used "pitches" to try to distinguish from the written notes on the page, which encode both pitch and rythmic information.

dire tonic, when you say the use of tied quavers versus single crotchet on beat 3 of bar 2 changes the phrasing, how does that work? To me they're exactly the same thing. Can you say more?

Edited by PianoStudent88 (11/19/11 05:36 PM)

#1792217 - 11/19/11 05:45 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: PianoStudent88]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

dire tonic, when you say the use of tied quavers versus single crotchet on beat 3 of bar 2 changes the phrasing, how does that work? To me they're exactly the same thing. Can you say more?

- sorry, got a bit ambiguous there. Yes, as you say 2 tied quavers = a crotchet.

I was referring to Wayne's very first RH video where the phrasing was <quaver, crotchet, quaver> instead of his later version <crotchet, quaver, quaver>

#1792219 - 11/19/11 05:49 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

dire-tonic, when I was trying to write bar 3 and 4, I started from the begining, counting, and noticed that the 2nd A in bar 2 fell on beat 7, rather than 6, hence the alteration, It may be my mistake, it probabily is lol! I've not decided to change anything!

PS88 thnx, I get u smile

Cheers to both of you!

#1792220 - 11/19/11 05:54 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
dire-tonic, when I was trying to write bar 3 and 4, I started from the begining, counting, and noticed that the 2nd A in bar 2 fell on beat 7, rather than 6, hence the alteration, It may be my mistake, it probabily is lol! I've not decided to change anything!

PS88 thnx, I get u smile

Cheers to both of you!

Well they both sound good to me. Regarding "beat 7"; as PS88 has pointed out, we're in 4/4 here so your "7" is actually falling bang on the 4th crotchet. The idea of counting 1 thru 8 is just a facilitator, each of those is a quaver and thus half a beat.

#1792225 - 11/19/11 06:09 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

time-out for me tonight guys, but thnx sooooo much, bk 2moz, will have more time to think stuff out then, night smile

#1792517 - 11/20/11 10:10 AM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Afternoon smile

Just thought I's summarise what I'm planning to do.....

How I'm plotting the melody:

I'm playing 8 notes in the left hand and the melody in the right. Then slowing down the tempo and plotting the melody notes on the beat number.

I'm then replacing the bass with the alternative rythym:

I am wondering though, when I play the melody with the 8 note bass, am I playing it differently to when I play it with the alternative bass?

Would this explain why in my original example the 2nd A in bar 2 falls on beat 6, but then falls on beat 7 when playing 8 notes in the bass?

I just want to be 100% sure of what I'm doing is correct, then I will finish writing the whole piece, then try to put the ties and stuff in the right places.

Then I just have to learn to play it lol.

#1792568 - 11/20/11 12:42 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

..there are some differences, not in bar 2 but later on (bar 9 etc, I think). But all your variations work fine so I wouldn't get hung up on it, just pick one and write it out.

Before doing anything else though you need to brush up on the
time values and the manner of setting them out. A quick summary:-

Each bar in your piece has 4 beats, each beat has the time value 'crotchet'. We've used a count of 8 in each bar to help facilitate your transcription. So each of those 8s is a quaver, or half a beat.

don't forget:-

2 quavers = a crotchet
2 crotchets = a minim

Just to be clear, a quaver looks like a crotchet but has a tail added to the stem. If you have a group of quavers, they're often grouped together under or over a beam, just like the second half of each of bars in your bass part.
In your recording you repeat bars 1-4 so no need to write those out again.
Why not have a crack at writing out bars 9 - 13?

If you're still not sure how to go about it these look like they'd be well worth going through - shouldn't take you too long. Part 1 might be a bit too easy but it's only a few minutes to play it through. Parts 2,3 and 4 are highly relevant to your piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGsFO2SNnw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpxAGiZd8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHXjKHFo00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYoA9oTrhI

#1792667 - 11/20/11 02:49 PM Re: Rythmic problems! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thnx dire-tonic, I will watch those! I got plenty to be going on with now then, plus I've the rest of the recital pieces to listen too. I'll be back soon to let you guys know how I'm getting on.

Once again, thnx, much appreciated!

smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
44 minutes 26 seconds ago
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
Today at 06:37 AM
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
Today at 06:01 AM
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Who's Online
92 registered (AndresD, Allard, 36251, Badinage, 30 invisible), 1059 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157685 Topics
2316109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission