2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
E
Timely thread...our RPT just installed the Quiet Keys system into our upright piano last week. smile

The system works very well. The tone is "muted" across the entire keyboard...that is, notes sound much "softer" with less "attack" (less brilliance) and a major decrease in overall volume. However, the muting effect is significantly less pronounced on the lower-bass notes (approx. the lowest two octaves) - the attack on these notes is just a bit less than normal, and their volume is only slightly quieter.

Also, when using the system the FEEL of the entire keyboard is very slightly altered, which may impact your overall performance and expression when practicing certain pieces. For some pianos this may not be very apparent, but for a piano with a very sensitive touch (our piano has the Fandrich Vertical Action) it is there. But for rudimentary practice sessions (scales, fingering exercises, etc.) this is really a non-issue.

FWIW, the Quiet Keys system sounds much better to my ears than the built-in practice pedal system on a Schulze Pollmann upright I tried recently (a very fine piano, BTW), which had some odd sonic artifacts due to the felt curtain touching the strings. In contrast, with the Quiet Keys system in our piano every note rings true without any strange felt-to-string effects.

Hope this helps! wink

M
M
No digital piano I have ever played suits my need for organic sound vibrations.

R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by lechuan
Seriously, would your husband consider wearing foam earplugs? They're cheap and are great at cutting out noise.

No way. He can't stand anything in his ears.

M

Bronze Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Bronze Supporter until Jan 01 2013
M
If your husband doesn't want anything in his ears, then get him some noise-cancelling headphones for Christmas. Bose makes great ones, but they are pricey, and you can get a good set at almost any price range.
Simple ear protectors would do a lot too; they dont press against the ear, they just surround it, so its very comfortable (the same design as pilot headsets basically, and pilots will wear those for half a day).

Also, how well tuned is your piano? Mine has fallen well out of tune since being moved, and I give myself a headache if I play for more than 45 minutes without a break. I'm certain that it's due to the tune, because I have never had this problem with the keyboard.

Finally, if the piano is in a separate room, you can buy some soundproofing material for that room without spending a fortune. It wont be perfect, but it may help a bit.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission