Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (BB Player, Anticlock, AZ_Astro, 20 invisible), 1109 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1794201 - 11/22/11 07:39 PM Ca63 question
Hardwired Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain

Sorry for my english.

I have a CA-63, love it, but, I have some concerns with a buzzing sound, and I think that the keyboard is a little loose because keys can move slighty and they don't return to a central position, causing visible unevenes. This is my first piano, so I am not very confident with my observations. I told my dealer about that, and he offered for a change, but I decided to go to the store and see if it is just that I am too picky.

I have just returned to my home from testing. I am puzzled, because the CA-63 on the store is different to my piano. It sounds equal (or little worse) than mine, but the keyboard is very differents. It feels a little lighter (prefer mine), but at first sight it looks nicer, the keys are tighter and do not move laterally so much. For now all a little subjetive, but looking closer, there are a aprox 1 cm wide gap between the keyboard and the right side, so that between the last key and the volumen slider, you can see the piano internals, even some wiring. On the left side there is too an smaller but noticeable gap. In my piano, there are an small gap, just like the space between keys or perhaps double.

The version of the piano at the store is 1.07, so. Do you think that this is from an older batch, or the newer CA-63 comes this way? Anyone did notice big differences between pianos of this same model?

For now I'll keep with mine ...

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1794213 - 11/22/11 08:04 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Hardwired]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Hardwired

The version of the piano at the store is 1.07, so. Do you think that this is from an older batch, or the newer CA-63 comes this way? Anyone did notice big differences between pianos of this same model?

Because the CA63 uses wood rather than injection-moulded plastic for the keys, it's perhaps the case that no two instruments will feel exactly the same.

If you prefer the touch of an instrument in the dealer's showroom to that of your own piano, you could perhaps ask the manager if he/she would consider a swap.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1794233 - 11/22/11 08:53 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Hardwired]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
A one cm gap sound pretty large. I wouldn't take that one.

Actually I bet if you turned your piano on its side and jiggled it a little--as could happen in shipping--the keys would come closer together and then you'd have a gap on one side instead of space between keys (which allows the lateral movement). Then you'd have one like the one at the store. I'm guessing that's the difference.

It sounds like both of them have a little extra space. If it bothers you, perhaps it can be adjusted. On the other hand, it probably doesn't affect the playability. Lots of acoustics have funky spaces and lateral play as well.

#1794252 - 11/22/11 09:13 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Hardwired]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Lately all I'm hearing here is that this Kawai is defective, and that Kawai is defective, and another Kawai is defective. Brand new pianos! Is Kawai becoming the Yugo of the digital piano world? That's problem #1.

When I bought a digital 3 years ago, I had intended to look at a Kawai ... since I'd already owned a Kawai upright for 15 years. But I couldn't find a dealer. That's problem #2. So I bought a Yamaha.

Should I consider myself fortunate that problem #2 kept me from becoming ensnared by problem #1 ?

KJ: Does any of the board chatter get attention from Kawai leadership?

#1794256 - 11/22/11 09:23 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Hardwired]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Perhaps a greater number of "defective" pianos is a characteristic of the long, solid wood key action. If your acoustic had some of the problems described we'd just have a piano repair-dude out to fix or adjust it instead of thinking the piano needed returning, but we don't expect electronics to be fixed or adjusted...we expect perfect fitting gizmos like things made of plastic tend to be.

I wonder if these RM3 actions kind of span the uncomfortable space between acoustic pianos (which need service) and digital things (which are just replaced when broken).

Edited by gvfarns (11/22/11 09:24 PM)

#1794272 - 11/22/11 09:45 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: gvfarns]
dmd Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well, in an effort to help balance things ....

The keyboard on my CA63 is laid out just perfectly. Looks and feels great.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1794301 - 11/22/11 10:49 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: MacMacMac]

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
KJ: Does any of the board chatter get attention from Kawai leadership?

Yes, of course.

For example, an MP6 user recently reported a software bug when combining certain combinations of effects on specific zones. I informed relevant colleagues in the software engineering division, who promptly found the cause of the issue, and a fixed (beta) software update was sent to the customer the following morning.

Here's the thread in full:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1784152/all

Keyboard related issues obviously cannot be resolved in quite the same manner. However, I'm still confident that Kawai dealers will support their customers fully, often by sending a technician to regulate the instrument's wooden-key action when necessary.

It's perhaps worth noting that in recent months we've seen an increasing number of customers reporting issues directly to this forum, rather than contacting their dealer or regional Kawai distributor - thus heightening the visibility of any problems. I expect my presence here is one reason for this trend, along with the rapid growth in long-distance internet sales, and growing popularity of Kawai digital pianos.

Yet, while I am happy to assist with customer queries, and enjoy engaging with other digital piano enthusiasts, it should be stressed that I am not responsible for Kawai's global technical support. Servicing issues should always be directed towards the dealer and/or distributor first, as this is undoubtedly the most efficient way to resolve 99% of problems.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1794564 - 11/23/11 10:51 AM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Hardwired]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Unfortunately, James, because of your "visibility" you have become the de facto go-to person for any issue with Kawai DPs. It's only to be expected. People much prefer to bring their woes to a friendly, responsive individual who genuinely cares, rather than tackling dealers or a "faceless" support system. Don't expect a let-up any time soon!

On the plus side for Kawai, I expect the rapid growth in sales has a great deal to do with this forum and your presence on it. The comfort factor of having access to the heart of Kawai is colossal, given the lack of local dealers and the relatively high cost of DPs.

Dual-edged sword?

mabraman, 2015

#1794866 - 11/23/11 06:26 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: gvfarns]
Hardwired Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain
This is a bit embarrasing, I did not pretend to post to bash kawai pianos. My english is not very good, and I think that I have not explained well enough. I am no sure if my piano have a MINOR fault, or something that can be fixed or if it is just normal.
The buzz I hear is really small, I could not capture with my recorder ...
The keyboard issue, is more a matter of aesthetics than to playability.
BUT, this is my first piano, so I am not very sure if this is normal.

Thanks you all.

@KJ
Thank you for your support. You are one of the reasons to buy my ca63.
I went to the store because he offered the swap, but I didn't like the piano on store becouse of the big gap between keyboard and volume slider, although keys were more fitted.

@gvfarns
My dealer said the same, that acoustics pianos have the same lateral movement. I played some acoustics on the store, but they had little lateral movement. On the other hand, the feelings of my keyboard is in my opinion on par with the grands i tested, excepting double scape click.

@MacMacMac
I would recommend to test a Kawai Ca-63, they are great. Don't take my post too seriously, I am not reporting a faulty unit, just asking for information to other owners. As I said before, I have little experience, I buyed the piano for my 8 years son. I just want to verify that all is perfect.

@dmd
May I send you a PM?

@voxpops
I agree, having Kawai James, and other owners, gives the opportunity for getting a second opinion. I know than kawai have a forum, but it is in german. Maybe it can be benefical to both kawai and owners, to have a dedicated forum in other languages, english at least.

#1794882 - 11/23/11 06:49 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: voxpops]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Unfortunately, James, because of your "visibility" you have become the de facto go-to person for any issue with Kawai DPs. It's only to be expected. People much prefer to bring their woes to a friendly, responsive individual.

This may be true. But what does is say about Kawai's full-time profesional suport staff that people prefer this forum to them? Why don't those guys buy a server and some forum software and put a few people on it full time?

Quote:
On the plus side for Kawai, I expect the rapid growth in sales has a great deal to do with this forum and your presence on it.

No. Count the number of people here. It's tiny compared to the number of pianos sold. Good forum and good people and all but do keep the numbers in persective

What I think is driving sales is that overall the technology is getting better and the prices lower.

#1794889 - 11/23/11 06:55 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: ChrisA]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Quote:
On the plus side for Kawai, I expect the rapid growth in sales has a great deal to do with this forum and your presence on it.

No. Count the number of people here. It's tiny compared to the number of pianos sold. Good forum and good people and all but do keep the numbers in persective

What I think is driving sales is that overall the technology is getting better and the prices lower.

That is true across the board (no pun intended), but are you so sure about the limited influence of this forum? The Kawai CA63/93 settings thread alone has received almost 125,000 views. The Roland RD-700NX thread has around a quarter of a million views. Kawai's share of the increased market may indeed be influenced by the perception created here - after all Kawai has much less presence in the marketplace than Roland.

When I'm researching digital pianos, I frequently use Google. The number of times this forum is represented in the first few hits is telling.

Edited by voxpops (11/23/11 06:59 PM)

mabraman, 2015

#1794916 - 11/23/11 07:31 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: voxpops]

voxpops, thank you for your kind words, however I'd like to correct you on one point, if I may:

Originally Posted By: voxpops

To clarify, I wrote 'growing popularity of Kawai digital pianos', not 'rapid growth in sales'. To my knowledge, sales have remained reasonably steady in recent years, although it's true that there have been some stand-out successes, such as the CN33.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1794966 - 11/23/11 08:23 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
voxpops, thank you for your kind words, however I'd like to correct you on one point, if I may:

Originally Posted By: voxpops

To clarify, I wrote 'growing popularity of Kawai digital pianos', not 'rapid growth in sales'. To my knowledge, sales have remained reasonably steady in recent years, although it's true that there have been some stand-out successes, such as the CN33.

Kind regards,
James
x

I should be more careful with my words!

However, I still think that Kawai's presence on this forum is no bad thing, either for DP purchasers or for the company - long may it continue.

mabraman, 2015

#1795012 - 11/23/11 09:28 PM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Hardwired]
Jamvector Offline

Loc: Madtown, WI
I will tell you from my personal experience that I wouldn't have even considered Kawai if not for this forum. I was agonizing over Roland / Yamaha / Casio. I am not a "forum" person, but as voxpops mentions, we go where google tells us - and this site gets many hits on the typical "best DP" related searches. After learning about Kawai options here, I went out of my way trying to find a place to try Kawai DP's, which turned out to be an AP dealer who had a little room in the back of the store with all their DP's; I never would have found the CA63 store hopping. After playing the CN33, CA63, and CA93 I was almost sold - we liked them much better than the other 3 brands we had already auditioned numerous times. The problem I had was I had no knowledge or experience with the brand - it is not well marketed or widely mentioned in the general musical instrument community. Support was a serious concern, but after spending a few weeks lurking on this forum, it was clear that the brand was good and my perceptions of quality appeared justified. The clincher was that the only visible mfr rep interacting on the forum was Kawai James. It may not seem like a big deal to most of you, but to me it did. I agree that the arguments made for the influence of this sub forum and members is quite subjective and possibly very limited in the overall DP marketplace, but for those out there like me who just needed a little more information, it certainly was an important part of our decision making process.

Only had the CA63 for a couple of months now, but so far so good; couldn't be happier.

PS: Shout out to TADutchman and other participants on his patch thread - they were another source of inspiration for confidence in the CA63. I was anxious to try all the combinations, didn't really see anything else like his thread for the other brands / models.

#1795212 - 11/24/11 08:43 AM Re: Ca63 question [Re: Jamvector]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Jamvector
Shout out to TADutchman and other participants on his patch thread - they were another source of inspiration for confidence in the CA63. I was anxious to try all the combinations, didn't really see anything else like his thread for the other brands / models.

Thanks for the heads up! thumb

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a recording of four nocturnes by Thomas Tellefsen
by Michael Sayers
04/02/15 02:32 AM
Notice Hiromi's jazz ballad meter(s) ?
by rintincop
04/01/15 10:52 PM
Need serious help deciding DGX650 or P115?
by jaketanner
04/01/15 10:25 PM
Piano pedal extender help
by metcarl
04/01/15 10:04 PM
Piano Pedal Extender Help
by metcarl
04/01/15 07:03 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,741 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,926 Topics
2,391,379 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission