2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 540 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After spending about two weeks reading through at 1 note per second or even slower... and getting frustrated as F*, finally I started speeding up the Chopin prelude #1 op 28.... amazing little piece. I'm trying to "don't cheat" releasing the right hand thumb because I use the pedal... quite hard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How many achievements! Reading them is really inspirational to me.

This week I’ve managed to play the first fourteen bars from the Chopin’s prelude (Op 28 nº 4). It’s a little step, but necessary as well smile . Now I’m going to try to master these bars, before to try the rest of the piece.

Regards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Recardo, congrats for that achievement. 14 bars are more than half of the piece! It's a very beautiful prelude. Nice and dark when played a little slowly.

My achievement is that after my sleeping problems two months ago, I'm back with a lot of eagerness to play. It takes so long to get back. In the two months I hardly played. It feels very much like a burn out after getting sleep rythm back. Even simple movements looks impossible. But now it's finally over. I'm very happy.

Though I will spend less time reading on this forum. More time on the piano. My writing will be shorter than I want it to be. The main reason is that I type and read all messages on this forum through my cell phone.

Chris

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
My AotW is getting back home to my piano!
lol.

After a month away with intermittent piano opportunities, it was good to get back to my OWN piano.
I did play at my sister's place, but my nieces weren't very interested in trying duets frown ...What can you do?
However, they both played for me, and I played for them. Compromise.

After leaving my sister's place I had 2 more opportunities to play - once at the residence where my MIL lives, and once at my cousin's home.

None of the pianos I played came even close to mine.

At the moment mine is slightly out of tune, but not horridly so, and I had fun running through a few favourites today. I look forward to getting back into my routines.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

I was watching Grease on TV, and when Blue Moon played (during the dance off), I was able to match the chords by ear on my piano. Yes, I was proud of myself!

There are no shortcuts
A
A
I have an achievement this week! I finished, with reasonable competency, the Beethoven German Dance I was working on. I can play it at a nice tempo with no obvious stumbles, when I'm focusing, and nice dynamic expression. Yay!

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Welcome back Chreyl. I missed you:)

My achievement is, well, still in the making I guess. I started memorizing Beethoven's Pathetic 2nd movement. I am happy it's short:) My hubby is in Los Angeles - I got house to myself ... and a couple of winey dogs... As I am writing this, I hear Emma the spoiled Golden Retriver barking. I have to get them inside (Phoenix is very hot)!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
this is my first one! (like a virgin, hey!) Anyway my big achievement(s) of the week was getting to sit down with my teacher and play my first ever Hanon excercise and playing it all the way through! And also blowing him away with a little Tchaikovksy I've been learning behind the scenes! so happy!

It's been a while since my last post. I can play the Entertainer pretty well. I have started another piece, Canon in d. I had previously learned an easy version of Canon (in c)......I found a slightly more advanced version in my Faber level 4 book. Someday I hope to learn my third version when I get around to the original composition!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
My first post on this Topic smile
My achievement of last week/lesson is I just start learning "The Maiden's Prayer". Wow, this is a beautiful piece and I have to work hard on those arpeggios.

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow. Its nice to see all these new faces on the AOTW thread.

Blues Tune - Many of us have used Alfred Adult at one time or another, so there's nothing minor at all about your progress. Good work, keep it up.

SeanC - Congrats on your entertainer breakthrough. Isn't it amazing how changing just a few small things can seem to completely alter the character of a piece? What are you working on next?

Attaru074 - Matteo, that sure is one of the more challenging Chopin Preludes. Have you found the old skills coming back? We'd love to hear a recording of 28/1 when you finish it.

BnWKeys - That takes some quick thinking/playing to match those chord changes in real time. I'm impressed (and jealous).

ArcticMama - Nice job on the Beethoven. I just got back from your incredible state of Alaska. It was everything I'd always imagined.

YukiKiki - It is pretty (if I looked at the right one on youtube). Part of it sounds just like the Bach C Prelude - either that or my brain has finally been Bach-ed to death. LOL.

Recaredo - Great start on Chopin 28/4. My advice would be to take your time with it because you can play it for years and years and still have ways to improve it. Second half has some tricky bits that just require slow, careful practice.

Cheryl - Welcome back. I know what you mean about getting back to the sound and feel of your own piano. Amazing how quickly the recently new becomes the baseline for 'normal'.
I found it took a while to reaquaint the fingers on the Sonatina - how about you?

My AOTW is getting the rust off after my 10 day break. It seems like it took almost a week to get back up to speed and make a little progress. The break seems to have been very beneficial for my hands, which I think had been a little strained for quite some time. Everything feels much looser and relaxed now. I just hope I can keep that feeling and transfer it into the music.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I usually read this post, but never wrote anything in it. So, this is also my first post here.

This week I finished studying the piece "Monday" by Einaudi. I heard this piece on the album he recently published "Islands", and decided to learn it. My wife is "tired" of asking me to play other things besides Einaudi (LOL) but when she heard this piece, she said: "This is beautiful, who wrote it?".
So, I wanted to share with you two things: First, "Monday" is over (still missing some details) and, second, I gained a few extra credits to play Einaudi out loud smile

Last edited by CarlosCC; 09/06/11 05:17 AM.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wow, everyone has been busy!

BlackNWhiteKeys - Grease, Blue Moon - figuring it out on your own, what a great combination!

Arctic Mamma - How satisfying! I have a Beethoven German Dance in one of my books but I haven't really tackled it yet. I feel inspired to give it a try!

FarmGirl - aw, thanks! I missed you too - it is nice to be back. Sounds like you are making the most of your hubby's "away" time - he will be delighted when he comes home to hear your progress! (and I remember seeing a photo of Emma, she is one beautiful dog!)

Micheal Taylor - Canon in D is probably my favourite piece of music. I even have my preferred recording! What is the version you were playing BEFORE the Faber Level 4? It is a piece that is on my MUST PLAY SOMEDAY list :):)

Yuki-Kiki - welcome! You gave me a new piece to look up, I didn't know A Maiden's Prayer. I'm glad you came and told us about it. It is a lovely piece - one youtube version I found had a ton of trills and embellishments added in which were very pretty.

JimF - Yes, I needed to refresh on the Sonatina - the second half of the Romance is still very weak. I'm glad to get back to it, but I also want some other "new" pieces to have as alternatives. Unfortunately my teacher had some very grave family health issues in July, and I was away for August, so I've been coachless for a bit. We met today, just to catch up (as we are also friends, not just teacher-student) and we will start lessons again next week.

CarlosCC, Welcome to AOTW ! Nice to see you here. You really are a firm Einaudi fan! I think it is great to have a composer you are so fond of, and I love reading about your enthusiasm for the pieces you are working on (I've seen your comments in other threads before now!) Keep us posted on your progress!

[Linked Image]

A
A
I'm excited about my progress this week! I the past seven days I ironed out Aria in F and Menuet in G Major (both Bach/Petzold pieces) and they sound great! That's huge progress for me to get the notes ANd dynamics right, and so quickly.

I'm moving onto Menuet in g minor next and hope that goes as smoothly as the two predecessor pieces smile

Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
T
T
My AOTW is sitting the AMEB Grade 5 piano practical exam and passing with Honours. yippie I was extremely nervous and had not one but two trainwrecks in the technical work, and fluffed most of the aural tests. But the examiner nevertheless awarded me an A so I'm happy. I celebrated yesterday with a very long lunch with my teacher and friends.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
A
A
Toastburn, that is PHENOMENAL! Congratulations on passing and doing sp well!

Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
T
T
Thanks, Arctic.

My set pieces were, if ppl are interested:
Bach, Prelude in D, BWV 950
Beethoven, Andante from Sonata Op14 No 2, 2nd mvmt
R. Schumann, Kuriouse Geschicht from Kinderszenen
Bartok, And the sounds clash and clang from the Mikrokosmos.
Mozart, Allegro, 1st mvmt of Viennese Sonatina II in A
Heller, No 18, Allegro, from Studies Op 45.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Good for you Arctic Mamma - that's a great satisfaction, isn't it?

Toastburn - your train wrecks could not possibly have been as bad as you thought, if you passed with A ! Congratulations on your success.

I took a break from my Beethoven because I felt stalled out on it. I've been sight reading and am quietly pleased to see that I am reading more smoothly.
I'm really feeling the loss of my teacher for the past 2 months. I can't wait to get started with her again.

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Good morning all
Congratulations Toastburn...what a great accomplishment. I'm hoping to do the RCM Level 5 this year yet but have two papers I want to finish and submit to journals...clashing passions. My piano and my scholarship. Both suffer from the other. LOL.

I realized that PW conversation inspires me to keep going when I'm feeling low energy and I appreciate ALL of you for sharing your accomplishments. What a great bunch of musicians.

My AOTW is that I'm getting to the tempo I want on a David Nevue piece I'm working on...starting to sound like music.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF

Attaru074 - Matteo, that sure is one of the more challenging Chopin Preludes. Have you found the old skills coming back? We'd love to hear a recording of 28/1 when you finish it.

sure I'll do... right now I have the first 8 measure "up to speed" and I'm memorizing the next 8 (actually there are the first 4 repeated) and I prepared the "math" for the 5 against 6... I'll have to take 6 days "off" for work related reasons. frown but I'll be Bach! laugh

meanwhile I'm removing the dust from the 5th year exam repertoire restudying everything... it's going to take time... 2 english suite, 3 bach 3 voice inventions, shubert impromptu, 1 mozart sonata, about 30 studies between czerny and cramer...

that is going to be 1 year to 1 year and 1/2 of material for me right now...

my "long term" target is to get back to 8th year conservatory repertoire... I hope to be there in 5 years from now.

(as personal note I wish I can go back in time and kick myself for wasting so much precious time)

Last edited by Ataru074; 09/10/11 09:39 AM.
Page 60 of 540 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission