2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rossy gave me this idea, how about posting pics of your DIY projects and bodge jobs (in my case lol), in your music room!

I'll start it off lol.

THE MUSIC STAND

Materials: Cardboard, An unused curtain, sticky back plastic, 2 plastic plate stands, and bulldog clips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
REPAIRED PIANO STOOL

Materials used: Metal curtain rod, Gold spray paint.

We recently had a party and the spindles on my piano stool got broke. I'm quite happy with their replacement, matches the piano ok smile

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SECONDRY KEYBOARD STAND

Materials: Tie-wraps, 4 screws, 2 Stair Spindles, 2 foil caps (from 2 tea-candles)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent Wayne, Wow, I keep inspiring folk by sheer accident!!
Someone who isnt with us anymore once told me "Many a temporary repair turns into a permanent fix"
Innovation and creativity is rife in my life as well, this has been born out of neccesaty, and limited finances. I personally feel that if you can build something or make something into something else, then go for it, much more satisfaction is derived from these endevours than just going out and buying things that break anyways..

As a mechanic, I can tell you with complete certainty : there are more mechanics driving around in cars that are held together with gaffa tape and tie straps than driven by folks of different occupations!
( this is beacuse we know just what can be just taped or tie strapped!!)

Wait till you see my guitar strap.... its a ferret called "Arnie", I jest not, I have been busking with it and had only interested comments except for one lady who moaned saying "Fur is bad" I replied it was my grandmothers stole, and was from the 1920's a time when fur was not deemed as "bad"

I might have also intimated that if it wasn't for fur, the human race would not be alive today, having froze to death during the last ice age... but i did that quietly under my breath in a sort of whisper.. I can be a devil for historical accuracy sometimes....##

Anyways... well done, I will show you some of my patches/fixes/bodges.....

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Rostosky
I might have also intimated that if it wasn't for fur, the human race would not be alive today, having froze to death during the last ice age... but i did that quietly under my breath in a sort of whisper.. I can be a devil for historical accuracy sometimes....##

I'm not entirely convinced. The human body can stand quite extreme cold so long as it's dry, and untreated animal skins aren't particularly waterproof. Moreover, if your only source of food and drinkable water is under half a mile of ice, being cold is not your worst problem.

I supect our distant ancestors survived the ice age mostly by moving away from the ice.

Fur may well have made our ancestors more comfortable, but claiming that without it we'd by now be an extinct evolutionary branch studied by super-intelligent bugs is pushing things a bit hard.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kevinb
studied by super-intelligent bugs is pushing things a bit hard.

If you read what i said kevin, you will find you invented that part quoted above.
Don't take my word for it though, just ignore the Archeological evidence of say the ice man (who was caught out, injured)in the alps. Also dont pay any attention to the tens of thousands of flint scraping tools that have been found by Archeologists, the scraping tools for preparing hides to wear.

Test your theory out for real, have a little holiday with the Saami Rheindeer hearders in Finland without wearing their fur boots, and without wearing their fur hides, I can garauntee that fresh water and food will not be your main problem.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Since we're going sooooo OT.........I may as well add, I wouldn't be able to live without my slippers, flipsy and flopsy!

[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I have SO got to put batteries in my camera. I have a kludge for keeping the pedal on my dp from running away from me that really belongs here laugh I'll get to it this weekend. Meanwhile - this thread has my soulmates, kludge-speaking, in it smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Creep no more pedal pad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hold it in place with my heel, works on any surface (carpet, concrete, dirt, etc.).

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Love this thread - keep going! smile

Du holde Kunst...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here we go, busking with "Arnie" the home made guitar strap, take some string and a disused mink.... [Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Rostosky - you're recognizable, but, uh, a little younger in that picture than now? laugh

Joe - I may try that at sometime, tho I have a short foot and I'm not sure there would be enough weight on my foot to hold it down. For now, here's what I do:

[Linked Image]

Yup, two bungee cords. Perfectly portable, too. I just have to remember to put them on before I put the keyboard on the stand, because otherwise, well, disaster ensues.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pmsl, I'm suprised you only had one person comment negatively!

Have u looked inside Arnie? They may be a clue to hidden family jewels!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
omg, Jotur, hillarious, you forgot to list the worn slipper as one of your used materials, really love this, brill smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yeah, Wayne, I don't wear shoes around the house, so I keep the clog at the keyboard for pedaling.

Oh dear, I just noticed the dust on that stand. And I've actually been a little better lately about dusting. Guess I've should have done my chores first.

Cathy

Cathy
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Forget the chores Cathy, Piano practice comes first, anyways, night time here in the uk, night all, x

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Night Wayne, no jotur, that pic was only a couple of years ago, when I wash my hair it goes like that, when it is in need of washing it goes all greasy and makes me look older..

I love this thread, and will have more photos... It reminds me of a band I knew, the drummer got so sick of his kick drum shifting, he nailed through it into the floor witha couple of six inch nails!!

The best one I ever saw was a band who rented a warehouse, but still there were neighbours and noise issuse... SO, ( this was brilliant) They built a dome inside the warehouse out of timber and covered it with rolls and rolls of carpets. ( carpets are a really good soundproofing device)

they got all their equipment in and where playing when me and the singer I was giving a lift to arrived.

From the outside of the carpet dome, you could not hear a thing, we were not even sure they were in there...

However, when we found the flaps that were the way in and got inside , it was like 98 decibel freaks..
But, there had been an oversight...

All the band were in their undies, and pouring with sweat big time, and they could only stand it for about fifteen mins each, before crawling out of the dome and getting cold air on them.. I managed five mins inside and felt like I couldnt breath....

It was probably a kilowatt or two of valve amps causing it plus them...

Hilarious.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I didn't invent it, maybe repurposed it, but in my bag of tricks I have a gel pad that is advertised to hold your cell phone on your car dashboard. I use it under my pedal when I'm at a gig where it slides.

Cathy, how many different bungee cords did you go through until you found the 2 that created the perfect height?

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't have pictures because at the time I wasn't particularly proud of the fix and expected to hang my head in shame when the piano tuner came but I once "repaired" my piano with a sawed off #2 pencil and "duck tape". After I explained myself to the tuner he was actually impressed and called it "ingenious".

Somewhat OT but since Rostosky mentioned cars I used to be awfully handy under the hood (or bonnet?)with a screwdriver and starter fluid. Kind of where the keeping a safe distance part of my signature springs from. No one wants to stand too close to a girl spraying flammable liquids at her car's engine. tiki That's been my personal experience anyway...

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
I used to be awfully handy under the hood (or bonnet?)with a screwdriver and starter fluid. Kind of where the keeping a safe distance part of my signature springs from. No one wants to stand too close to a girl spraying flammable liquids at her car's engine. tiki That's been my personal experience anyway...

LOL. I used a hair brush in the choke a few times. . .

Brian - I did find that two the length of the yellow one weren't taut enough, but that was all I tried before I got this combination.

For gigs I use two black ones - a little more elegant, no?

Cathy

Cathy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission