2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Like how many of you still play for pleasure on a Sunday afternoon instead of grinding away at new pieces, scales, technical exercises, etc?

I consider the fine tuning of a piece as 'play for pleasure', as you can hear it improve fast at that point while it is already good.

Scales and technical exercises, no thanks. Maybe a few minutes a day if really necessary.

New pieces, you mean drilling in the right notes and chords. This is currently about half of my time, say three weeks working on the right notes, phrasing etc and three on the finetuning.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I play the piano because I love it. I love to practice and communicate with the piece. When I am playing, I don't think about anything else, totally refreshing. I believe music is an entirely different language for which there is no border. I can just feel the composer's feeling of sadness, happiness, sorrow, etc.. directly through those notes. My favorite thing is to sit at the piano late at night quietly reading through a music as my mood dictates. Sometimes it's an endless music (Bach), sometimes torrent of emotion, I just love it. It makes me thankful for my parents for giving me lessons that grew into my life time pleasure. I also count my blessing that I am in a peaceful country, healthy and gainfully employed. I earnestly wish many people can be blessed as I am. May Peace be on earth.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love playing the piano and play the pieces I enjoy. Although I should, Hanon, scales I don't play. Don't like them very much.

Until now the pieces I've learned so far, I kept them alive by playing them for fun. The pieces were a bit difficult, so I'd played many times before I fully mastered them.

After that I played them often, because I wanted them to stay in memory. Now I think that's a fast way to overplay the pieces.

The pieces I will learn now, must be learned in a short periode at a level I'm able to sightplay. Then once in awhile, I pick the piece up, sightplay it and put it away again.

Therefore I have a lot of time to learn new pieces and because they are learned in a short periode, my book of reportoire will be soon bigger. And because I can sightplay them, there's no need to play a piece often.

To point of overplaying a piece will be reached far further in the future than now and my reportoire will grow faster.

So as soon I finish granados, für Elise and Dark eyes boogie no long and difficult pieces for me. More pieces like The witch, In church from Tchaikovsky.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
smokin Like how many of you still play for pleasure on a Sunday afternoon instead of grinding away at new pieces, scales, technical exercises, etc?

At 5:30 AM this morning I sat down and played 30 minutes of Christmas music. The house was empty (except for Laurie's two cats, who ignore me) and no neighbors could hear me. Good thing, because I was singing along...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
M
M
I'm such a beginner that I'm never really playing anything for fun. But I enjoy practicing because at this stage, there are so many small triumphs along the way (I am a bit of an achievement junkie). I learn something new almost every time I sit down at the piano. But I think the most pleasurable thing about piano playing for me is that in order to do it, I have to totally clear my mind of everything else. My job is much more stressful than my bad piano playing, so this is a nice thing to do for an hour or so a day.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
With some 45 years of experience I can consider me an adult, but hardly a beginner. Still I enjoy following some of the threads under this forum.

I always try to improve my skills, and at any time I work with several pieces. I usually have at least one new piece where I try to get past the technical difficulties. Then there are a few pieces where I work with details. This means that I repeat 2 - 8 bars over and over again. Finally I alsays work with memorisation of pieces I consider myself mastering tehcnically. I use finger exercises for warm up, taking perhaps 10% of the time at the piano. Every now and then I also pick music I don't know and play it (at low tempo) directly off the sheet.

I generally enjoy it all. Even the tedious repetition to refine details I find very rewarding. When mastering something new it gives me a feeling of achievement. I'm also convinced that piano playing gives me a health benefit. Finally I consider piano playing to be excellent brain training. This is one of the reasons why I sometimes play music directly off the notes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission