Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1793916 - 11/22/11 10:58 AM MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!!
Brasspounder Offline

Loc: PA
Just installed a pair of Yamaha HS50M's for my Kawai MP10.

I was not sure how it would turn out. My MP10 is placed close to a large wall in the Family Room. I mounted the Speakers on the wall about 3 inches away from the wall and about the width of the keyboard. The height of the tweeters in the speakers are at my ear level. From where I sit when I play it forms an equilateral triangle, about 4 feet on a side. (The sweet spot).

I first tried larger speakers and the chords were a little boomy. These HS50M's seem to have about the right amount of bottom end for my ears. I am running the HS50M's flat eq.

I am running the MP10 flat. No equalization and the piano virtual tech at stock factory settings. I like the sound of the "Studio Grand" best. A slight bit of reverb (room2 mode).

I find this setup close to the headphones I use when practicing.

Things may change but right now I think I have a winner.

Kawai MP10
Yamaha HS50M's

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1793943 - 11/22/11 11:55 AM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
stealle Offline

Are you using a subwoofer? If not, I would think the low end would be really poor considering these only have a 5-inch woofer with a rear facing port close to the wall. However, sometimes rear world performance can different than what one would expect.

#1793970 - 11/22/11 12:46 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm glad you like them (at least the subject seems to indicate these). I've never used a Yamaha monitor and I've always been interested what their character is.

Digital piano work seems like a very demanding use of speakers because we have a really good idea of what pianos sound like and we can play things that should sound smooth and even from top to bottom. If these are working well for you, then you have won the speaker game!

I guess my expectation was like that of Stealle. I've never had monitors without a sub really satisfy. Those low notes on an acoustic piano are very powerful and clear.

#1794021 - 11/22/11 02:45 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
Brasspounder Offline

gvfarns and stealle,

I was concerned about the small 5 inch woofer as well. I do pick up a little bit of low end by mounting the HS50M's close to the wall. (I left about a 3 inch gap so the rear bass port can breath). I don't think I miss much until I get to the lowest octive on the keyboard and then only the "thunder" and "vibration" effect. I can easly tell all the notes apart all the way to the bottom with the little 5 inch woofer. Yamaha uses a rubber mount arround the edge of the woofer and it freely moves. You can really see it wiggle on the very low notes. Granted, not a lot of area to push the low frequency air but enough.

I like plenty of bottom end when watching TV or listening to rock or blues (got to feel your whole body shake or it is not rock), but for classical stuff I prefer it a bit tighter/lighter.

I tried hooking up my subwoofer. I have a large surround system for the TV. The subwoofer is a 160 watt large standalone. It certainly kicked up the bottom end of the piano, especially the lowest octive on the keyboard. But then I kept reducing it and liked the sound better. To my ears if I crank up too much bottom on the piano it gets muddy and difficult to pick out the individual notes in the lowest octive.

I am satisfied for now with my setup.

I guess if I need more bottom end I would probably add the matching Yamaha powered subwoofer.

I find sound is an on-going adventure. I like to keep trying something new.

Kawai MP10
Yamaha HS50M's

#1794046 - 11/22/11 03:08 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yeah monitor subwoofers will be much more appropriate than an entertainment center version. I used to have the KRK 10S and it was real nice with my monitors, though you do have to be careful to turn it down so it doesn't overpower. Also somehow one note was at the resonant frequency of the room and when I added the woofer I felt like my house was going to fall apart. I didn't notice that before I got the woofer. Strange.

#1794078 - 11/22/11 04:02 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brasspounder
I find sound is an on-going adventure. I like to keep trying something new.

Well, that pretty much sums things up for everyone on this forum. Looking for the "Holy Grail" of sound. smile

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1794203 - 11/22/11 07:43 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Brasspounder, may I ask how you are connecting the Yamaha speakers to your MP10? Is the signal loud/strong enough without a pre-amp?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1795700 - 11/25/11 08:19 AM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
Brasspounder Offline

KJ,

Yes, plenty of signal and plenty loud. If I crank them all the way up it is about as loud as a K3 or K5.

The Yamaha studio monitor speakers HS50M's are powered speakers. Each speaker has two amplifiers inside, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer.

I took the 1/4 inch phono plug jacks and directly connected them to each speaker. I found that by setting the volume/gain control of each speaker to the center or half point (the control has a detent at that setting) the sound levels are about right and balanced left to right speaker.

I leave my headphones plugged in all the time and simply hook the headphones over the phono plug on the front left when not in use.

The only thing I would consider changing on the MP10 design would be to move the power on/off switch to the top panel rather than having to reach behind by the power plug to turn it on and off.

Again, great product.

Kawai MP10
Yamaha HS50M's

#1795787 - 11/25/11 12:36 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'll strongly second Brasspounder's recommend on the HS50Ms. This is how my MP10's setup, too. The only difference is, I'm using XLR cables (the HS50Ms support this, too). The upside's that I have noticeably less speaker noise when bringing up the volume (or at lower volume, with my ears near the monitors). And yes, plenty of volume without a preamp.

Brasspounder, you might have a look through the HS50M's manuals, if you haven't already, especially if you're using them up against a wall. The manual has a very nice acoustic primer if you want to work around having the speakers near walls or corners (non-ideal, but the way most of us have to do things given living-space aesthetics).

Edited by Matt Peckham (11/25/11 12:37 PM)

#1795892 - 11/25/11 04:44 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: Brasspounder]
Brasspounder Offline

Hey Matt,

Good points. Yes I read the manual cover to cover but as you say like everything I had to compromise on the location of the MP10 and the speakers.

I think the biggest thing I noticed was getting the speakers up high at "ear-level". If I had the room I would try putting everything in the center of the family room but then it would be a battle with the wife.

Only difference I should have done was going with XLR cables. The "un-balanced" phone plug cables are OK but not the best. They are just short runs from the back of the MP10 to the speakers and even at maximum volume I do not hear any noise of hum.

I may try XLR cables in the future.

Kawai MP10
Yamaha HS50M's

#1795904 - 11/25/11 05:10 PM Re: MP10 and HS50M's GOOD SOUND!!! [Re: stealle]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: stealle
Are you using a subwoofer? If not, I would think the low end would be really poor considering these only have a 5-inch woofer with a rear facing port close to the wall. However, sometimes rear world performance can different than what one would expect.

Placing speakers so close to a wall really amplifies the bass. This goes double if you place them in a corner. So the 5" drivers might be acting like larger drivers

I always say that placement and aim point and the size/shape of the room matter as much as which speakers you buy.

From his description I'd expect this system to sound a lot like headphones. It is unrealistic and does not sound like a real acoustic piano is in the room but we all get used to the headphone sound and it is very detailed and clear.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (36251, accordeur, acortot, Adypiano, 43 invisible), 1655 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153526 Topics
2249853 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission