2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark Davis
Hello Jeff

You wrote, "But there is also a "color", I believe, to all the tuning intervals. And when worn hammers cause different brightness on different notes, or even individual strings, it can confuse me as to what I am listening to. Then I have to try to just concentrate on the beats. Ugh!"

Please can you explain what you mean when you say there is a color to tuning intervals?

Regards,

I’ll try to explain.

For RBIs, the more they are tempered the faster they beat and they sound brighter.

For SBIs (including octaves), there is a point where the beats are not obvious and then the color can be heard as something separate from any beating. There is an area between where the beat(s) are not obvious and where the interval is as pure as possible. This is the place to listen for color without being distracted by beats.

If you listen to a temperament 5th, and slowly bring the pitch of the upper note up from well below pitch, you may hear what I mean. But you have to try and ignore any beats. Otherwise you may not see the forest for the trees. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by rxd
One of my teachers almost 50 years ago showed me how he was taught, 50 years before that, that adding half a beat to treble octaves is to all intents and purposes imperceptible in the finished product... There is no mystery about it, at least, not to me. It is a completely rational phenomenon.

rxd, your comments are precisely in line with Gabriel Weinreich's lecture mentioned by Keith and Mark R:

"It should be clear from this discussion that if we observe the motion of two coupled strings, of which one is left untouched while the other is tuned, we would observe that the untouched string will change its frequency (although it remains at constant tension) as the second string is tuned. This is under condition that the two strings are close to a unison ... What is not so clear - and, in fact, requires considerable mathematical discussion - is precisely what this frequency shift will be. Interestingly, it turns out that it can be in either direction, depending on the impedance of the bridge itself. In particular, there exists a possibility for the two frequencies to "attract" and become locked together, so that slight tuning of either string does not affect the frequency of either but only the decay rates."

I think of it as a contest between the strings and the bridge. When they are within half a beat, or as Weinreich says about 0.3 Hz, the bridge wins and forces the strings to vibrate together. The bridge expends some energy doing this so the decay is greater than in a perfect unison.

The effect certainly helped me to correct an out of tune unison last night; I thought it was beginner's luck.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Jeff

Thank you for your response.

You wrote, "For SBIs (including octaves), there is a point where the beats are not obvious and then the color can be heard as something separate from any beating. There is an area between where the beat(s) are not obvious and where the interval is as pure as possible. This is the place to listen for color without being distracted by beats."

I suppose what you are speaking about in the above few sentences is something similar to unison tuning? No beats (or very,very slow whining)but the question is how clean?

I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean when you use the word colour or why? I suppose that depending on the piano, the area when the SBI intervals are becoming beatless/become beatless may vary in width (if I may use that word)?

However one tunes the SBI intervals, there will always be interval checks that will tell you whether you have tuned a pure, narrow or wide interval and to what degree? So I would think that the interval checks will be the final determining factor according to how one likes to tune.

Regards,

Mark
Piano tuner technician
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mark:

Yes it is similar to unison tuning. In fact, I later wished I had included unisons as SBIs like I did with octaves.

By color (colour?) I mean timbre. I think there is more discernment possible when listening to the color of an SBI than by listening to the beat speed, especially if tests are used to determine beat speeds. Much of the color may be due to multiple beats. Like for a 5th, there are both the 3:2 and the 6:4 partial matches.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jeff,

I am not sure if we should be discussing this on a new thread or privately? I think that I am or we are highjacking this thread. Thoughts?

So in brief, I am not exactly sure of what you are saying in the following few sentences, "By color (colour?) I mean timbre. I think there is more discernment possible when listening to the color of an SBI than by listening to the beat speed, especially if tests are used to determine beat speeds. Much of the color may be due to multiple beats. Like for a 5th, there are both the 3:2 and the 6:4 partial matches."

Are you able to expand on the above? What are you hearing if you are not hearing beats? How are you tuning this timbre/colour in order to get your desired result? Can you be more specific?

All I do when tuning is tune to specific beat speeds, approximations of beat speeds and comprimises of specific beat speeds according to the inharmonicity of the particular piano I am tuning.

I dont know, I am at a loss thinking about this colour/timbre thing!?

Regards,

Mark
Piano tuner technician
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mark:

Yes, I think a seperate Topic is in order. I will start one. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I can't speak for Jeff, but my impression is that the differing color exists because of the beats: as the amplitude of some freqs rise and others fall, different constellations of partials become more and less audible, creating differing chords, if you will, of partials.

A related question: Do the strings decouple in the decay? Surely they must, even if very late in the decay on notes played with the pedal pressed down. If so, what determines how quickly they decouple so that their separate freqs\their out-of-tuness becomes audible? The force of the hammer strike? In other words, do hard strikes cause the coupling to last longer?

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jake Jackson
A related question: Do the strings decouple in the decay? Surely they must, even if very late in the decay on notes played with the pedal pressed down. If so, what determines how quickly they decouple so that their separate freqs\their out-of-tuness becomes audible? The force of the hammer strike? In other words, do hard strikes cause the coupling to last longer?

Have you looked at Weinreich's paper mentioned above? He did not mention uncoupling so perhaps it's not significant; no longer audible when it happens or the music has moved on.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
J
J
Yes, I've read the Weinreich essay. Just thinking aloud here: The soundboard must be the cause of the delay\non-existence in the detuning? Since it's coupled most directly to the bridge, once the coupled strings excite its nodes, those nodes get transferred back to the strings, too. And the soundboard impedance by definition slows the movement of the vibrations, so even if the strings do decouple, we instead hear the earlier, coupled vibrations moving from the soundboard to the air?

Very interesting subject, in any case--the relationship of beats and phasing and color.

Last edited by Jake Johnson; 11/27/11 10:54 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission