Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1794901 - 11/23/11 07:15 PM Vintage Hammond Organ parts
sparx Offline

I am still keeping my eyes open for a Hammond organ. I'm from Ireland and most of the B2/3 models are over in USA! frown It means that I have to find out about import taxes from our dear friends at HM Customs.

Anyway, I was doing a search and came across a website promoting the brand new B3 from Hammond-Suzuki. They mentioned some things that I didn't really take into consideration when contemplating a vintage model, specifically an annual service and the low availablility of spare parts.

I'm bearing in mind that the vintage B2/3 could be as old as 50 years of age and I was, somehow, always under the impression that parts were still being made to maintain the current models. I know some guys on here like Ken are very passionate about the vintage models over the digital version but is the lack of the above-mentioned elements an important factor to consider before launching into buying a vintage model? Are they no more than 'urban legends' to boost sales of the new models?

#1795057 - 11/23/11 10:34 PM Re: Vintage Hammond Organ parts [Re: sparx]
Ken Knapp Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey sparx!

Well, the sales talk about the new B3 is unfortunately sales talk and there are things said in an attempt to put the new ones in a better light and the vintage ones in a worse light. The biggest competition Hammond has on their current models are the past models.. And the old Hammond Organ Company is not Hammond-Suzuki. They bought the name when Hammond went out of business in 1985 and was liquidated.

Here are some things I've found...

I know someone who tried a new one and decided that the new features were not worth the additional money. He got rid of it.
I've found in my experience that once a model goes out of production (either discontinued OR revised) it becomes harder, sometimes impossible to get parts for it. I was told there was a recent model that was discontinued and in order to fulfill the last orders the spare parts inventory was depleted to build organs. I do not know that for sure, but heard it from what I consider to be a reliable source. At any rate, parts for modern organs consist largely of chips, many of which are specialized and when they are gone they are gone - and you cannot substitute. Already there are digital organs that have to be junked because the chips are no longer stocked. This is in comparison to the vintage tonewheel organs (B2/B3 etc) that use standardized electronic components that to this day you can buy off the shelf.

There are companies that remanufacture many of the vintage parts. Trek II comes to mind, or BB Organ, Paul Studer in NJ, Speakeasy Vintage Music, to name a few. Many vintage parts are interchangeable from 1935 to 1974.

I've tried to get parts for a late 1990's Hammond and been told it's no longer available. Imagine paying 20 grand for that organ and be told you can't fix it.

The biggest thing, in my humble opinion, that the sales talk plays down is the QUALITY built into the vintage Hammonds. We're used to el-cheapo crap and consider something well built if it lasts 5 years. I estimate that vintage Hammonds were so OVER DESIGNED they will be viable instruments after we're all dead.

Right now I am restoring a 1958 B3 that was in a flood and was submerged. I am about 75% through it and guess what I have had to replace? NOTHING.. I've been cleaning and oiling, that's it. Even the preamp is working. I honestly believe that if this was a new B3 it would be in the dumpster.

The "yearly maintenance" they speak of in the sales brochure consists of buying an $8.00 tube of oil and oiling the tone generator and the run motor.

Don't get me wrong, Those new Hammonds are neat organs and the people at Hammond are good people, but there is no question in my mind which organs have a better chance of being working musical instruments in 50 years. I look at it this way, the new ones are trying to recreate the vintage ones. You can get the real thing for about 1/4 to 1/2 of the price of the new ones. And have the real thing.

I hope this helps.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#1796375 - 11/26/11 05:56 PM Re: Vintage Hammond Organ parts [Re: Ken Knapp]
sparx Offline

Hi Ken!

Thanks for the advice!
I wanted to get info from someone who didn't have a vested interest in pushing sales. It is a relief to hear that there are people out there still making compatible parts for the vintage models.

I kind of suspected that the chat was mostly sale-orientated, but let's face it, who's going to want to pour £14,000/$22,000 into an instrument when a quality instrument at a lower price will be more than suitable and provide enough longevity.

I want to get either a B2/3 or C3 for our church so it's not like I want to go gigging with it or go shaking the thing to get a detuning effect - I can't remember who used to do that...

There is virtually nothing around UK and Europe at the moment so USA is likely to provide me with my Hammond organ! As I said, it's just customs I need to chat with to find out about imports from US. Just on that note, though more of a minor issue, are the current convertor kits reliable or complex? This would be a slight worry about importing a model from US.

#1796458 - 11/26/11 10:01 PM Re: Vintage Hammond Organ parts [Re: sparx]
Ken Knapp Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
You will do ok if you get the kits you need from Michael Smokowicz at Trek II. He sells everything you need for the power conversion. If you get a B2 or a C2 rather than a C3/B3, a couple things to watch out for. On the 2's the early ones have ratchet drawbars. Between the clicks you get no sound. That is not a HUGE deal if you get used to it, but on the 3's the drawbars are continuous, having no drop outs between the stops. Much more desirable.

So on the 2's, if you want to avoid the ratchet drawbars look for a later 2 model. They are out there but you'll have to ask the seller if it has the rtachet or continuous ones. There is also a kit available to make them smooth (www.smoothmove.com). And heck, the 2's don't have percussion so while you're ordering the power conversion stuff you can get the Trek II percussion as well! smile

If you get a 3 series, all you need is the power conversion stuff. It would also behoove you to question the seller as to whether the manuals have foam in them. Back in the mid 1960's, Hammond got the bright idea to use foam in the manuals instead of some of the felt they were using. Trouble is, the foam deteriorates and gets into the manual wiring and eats it up. Then you have a major repair on your hands. You can tell if there is foam in the manuals by looking at the bussbar shifter screw on the manuals. Looking at the screw you should see a rivet at approximately 8 o'clock position. No rivet means the manuals have foam in them.

If you find an organ you're interested in let me know and I will try to help further...

Edited by Ken Knapp (11/28/11 06:04 PM)

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#1796610 - 11/27/11 10:10 AM Re: Vintage Hammond Organ parts [Re: Ken Knapp]
sparx Offline

Thanks again, Ken! You're a star!

I didn't know about the foam issue in the later models - a surprisingly stupid idea. Your Average-Joe in the street could tell you that foam perishes sooner or later!

I'll keep an eye out for that and bear you in mind when the time comes!

Cheers and thanks a million!

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
09/23/14 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
09/23/14 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
09/23/14 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
09/23/14 11:00 AM
Who's Online
158 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 44 invisible), 1479 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157712 Topics
2316607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission